REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Briarscratch

What are you listening to now?

walt lister

Nice Pickin!!, Here's a link to some vids of masters of classical guitar.

There are vids of incredible talent Segovia even in advanced age is fabulous and Ana Vidovic's Asturias (Guitar Festival Vid)

is something else. Listen to this with the lights turned down low and a glass of something nice to sip on some evening.

Try It, You'll Like It!

Spin

I've had that Segovia vid in my favorites for a long time, it's wonderful. From 2:10 to about 4:30, squeaks and buzzes nothwithstanding--so few notes, so much music.

If you like classical guitar, you may or may not have heard of Ida Presti, the deceased half of the Presti/Lagoya duo that made such a mark in the 60s.

Heres Ida Presti at 14 or 15 years old. Beautiful tone---Oh for a better recording.

I still have this on vinyl that I bought around 1970.

Ever hear a churango, I think that's what the instrument is called.

Briarscratch
Can you guys recommend a good entree into Segovia?  There seems like there's a ton of his recordings, it's hard to know a good place to start.

walt lister

Can you guys recommend a good entree into Segovia?  There seems like there's a ton of his recordings, it's hard to know a good place to start.

I don't have it yet but this looks good.

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/Frary/segovia_collection_review.htm

This is one of my favorites. I have an early 331/3 vinyl of this that I have played to the point of ruining it.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.111092

Spin

I don't know Scratch, Segovia had such a long career, That most likely his best work was recorded when sound recordings were something less than great. Just feel your way through and find what you like most. In time you'd do so anyway. John Williams was another unbelievable Classical guitarist and like I said I'm big on Ana Vidovic. There are a good number of greats that you can discover. Not the kind of music that you listen to all day every day but it has it's time and place. It's almost beyond belief the amount and depth of music one person can create with 6 strings on an acoustic guitar.

Walt Thanks, I've run thru the three vids twice and got them book marked.

Spin

Steve Hunts
My wife.  She's talking again.  At least I think so as her lips are moving.

Ben Hong

Jeff, I have seen Segovia's "Collections" 1 through 4, all remastered and on cd. They were all recorded in the late 60s, which was the height of his prodigious prowess. I have a huge collection of Segovia's recordings, but all vinyl. Segovia is probably at his greatest when interpreting the great Spanish composers like Fernando Sor and Villas-Lobos. But his playing of JS Bach is absolutely stunning.

If you are interested in classical guitar works, Julian Bream, John Williams, Christopher Parkening, and *ahem* the pulchritudinous Canuck Liona Boyd should all be given their due.

Briarscratch

Thanks guys!

Strangely enough, I had a dream I was talking to a guy who was playing classical guitar last night.

walt lister

Dongotto
Jamey Johnson's record that lonesome song. Has a bit of a raw feel, and some very nice pedal steel guitar.