• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Thunder Bay

Let's see some wood!

Steve Van Dis

Nice looking wood, gents!  I’m a bit of a wood freak and enjoy looking at a nice stick.

Lee – I love to see pics of Peter’s old 16 bore Parker.  Not only is that one of the most beautiful side-by’s I’ve ever seen, it has a beautiful story to go with it.  You are a lucky guy to have it.

Here are my four field guns.  From left  – .410 Model 42, and then side-by's in 28, 20 and 12 gauge.

f0461b04.jpg

They all have stories, but none as good as Lee’s Parker.

Gee Greg,

Why don't you get rid of those old shooters and get some good looking guns

thanks for sharing. :D

whdtt

Here's (once again) the refinished Stoeger....not bad for a hair over $300.

f42a85bb.jpg

And a close-up.

f42a85ea.jpg

And a not-so-good pic of the other side

f42a85cc.jpg

bosco mctavitch

I've worked with a lot of cherry, and while I've seen a couple really nice stock blanks made from it, I've never seen anything quite like the photo--that looked like walnut to me.  The few pieces of burled or crotch cherry I've seen don't have the figure shown on that stock, and they often have air-pockets in them--that may be why I've seen so few, or it may just be an underappreciated part of the cherry tree!  Cherry is fairly soft, so while I haven't tried I would imagine it wouldn't hold checkering as well as walnut or hard maple either.

Dave

Not bad at any price, Davin.  Not bad at all, my friend.

Having worked at Dick's Sporting Goods as a part-timer for the past 3+ years leading up 'til the end of this past November, I can tell you I've seen a lot of Stoegers, both Condors and Uplanders such as yours, and I've never seen one with such nice wood.

How did it work on those N.H. grouse and woodcock this year?

I spent the first 2 days walking up and down hills in the Hancock area at the start of the season and saw absolutely not a feather.  Of course it was 79-80 degrees F.  I hope things turned around a bit after that.

whdtt

How did it work on those N.H. grouse and woodcock this year?

I spent the first 2 days walking up and down hills in the Hancock area at the start of the season and saw absolutely not a feather.  Of course it was 79-80 degrees F.  I hope things turned around a bit after that.

Well, sad to say that not much stirred after that.  The woodcock were ok, but i saw a total of 2 grouse the whole season.  

Thanks for the kind words..

lee sykes
I have to say, that gun does look pretty good, Davin.  You have very tastefully transformed it.

Steve Van Dis

Here's a quick pic of my AyA 16ga.... I've had it for about 7 years and I think I did ok on the wood considering the variatioins in quality of Spanish walnut....

62f2582f.jpg

lee sykes
I think you did way more than "okay" on the wood, Steve. Very nice!   How come the ones I see for sale always have as Mike Krol so perfectly put it;   "Frozen Peanut butter" wood. Mike, you got a very nice stick on that Arrieta too.

Alan Briere

The wood on those guns is beautiful gents. The nicest piece I have is actually on a Ruger M77. I don't know how such a common gun ended up with what I consider nice wood. It's amazing how you can look inside the grain and see all this gold flecking and transparency in the right light. The photos won't do it complete justice, but you guys know what I mean.

f03ae8d0.jpg

f03ae898.jpg

The next three have a little story. Our property is loaded with burls in the trees, birch and cherry mostly. A woodworker friend took some of them to work into bowls and gave us one of the finished pieces. Each time I see different burl carvings it amazes me how unique each piece of wood can be. Your guns are proof of that. Here are a couple pics of the burl bowl.

f03ae984.jpg

f03ae937.jpg

Inverted

f03ae907.jpg

Thanks for sharing all those fine guns.

Alan

Greg Hartman

That is amazingly good work, Davin - looks terrific!  I wonder how much pretty wood resides, undiscovered, under lousy factory finishes?

Steve - that is an exceptional AyA.  It's hard to tell from the pics, but that looks like a #2.  If so, that wood is probably the best that has ever been put on a #2 by the factory.  Most I have seen are painfully plain.  Nice!

Alan:  Also a very pretty Ruger.  Years ago I had one of the first #1 rifles to be built - had spectacular wood.  Nearly all of those very early rifles had superb wood.  In later years, I saw nothing to match the wood on the early guns.  Is yours an early 77?

Is that bowl cherry?  While a truly beautiful piece, that wood would not even begin to work for a gunstock.

Alan Briere

Greg,

The Ruger is actually a newer one with the three position safety. It's a leftie 30-06. The bowl is cherry 12" wide by about 6" deep. These burls are so full of cracks and strange swirls, I have no doubt they could never work for long gun stocks.

Alan

Alan,

Further proof of what I mentioned earlier in the thread ... Ruger somehow, someway, has gotten themselves into some beautiful wood somewhere and they don't mind surprising their customers with it.

I too have seen some fabulous lumber on Red Labels in particular.

Unique bowl you have there also.  Attractive!

lee sykes
I too have a Ruger M-77 MkII that has surprisingly nice wood.  Not as nice as Alans but better than you generally see on a factory gun.

Steve Van Dis
The wood on those guns is beautiful gents. The nicest piece I have is actually on a Ruger M77. I don't know how such a common gun ended up with what I consider nice wood. It's amazing how you can look inside the grain and see all this gold flecking and transparency in the right light. The photos won't do it complete justice, but you guys know what I mean.

f03ae8d0.jpg

f03ae898.jpg

I love Ruger.... where else can you find a gun company that routinely puts exhibition grade wood on their "field" guns.

I've seen more than a few Rugers with stunning wood and Alan's gun in another example.

Fantastic wood!

Steve Van Dis

I was digging through some old pics and ran across a copy of an old Holland & Holland ad that featured one of the nicest chunks of wood I've ever seen.... someday I want to find a piece like this to use on my target gun.....someday.

1731fb80.jpg