FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Briarscratch

Goose - it's what's for dinner

GB Jack
i have a TOn of goose reciepes, and have shot hundreds and hundreds, i have tried many reciepies ad a couple keep rising to the top, a grill is simply the best way to cook wild geese. a solid marinade involving A1 and oranges is simply outstanding

charlo slim
i have a TOn of goose reciepes, and have shot hundreds and hundreds, i have tried many reciepies ad a couple keep rising to the top, a grill is simply the best way to cook wild geese. a solid marinade involving A1 and oranges is simply outstanding

GBJack --

Sounds really interesting.  Would you post up details?  Always looking for a new twist.

Thanks.

GB Jack

first off, its VERY important you get all the silver skin off the breast meat, you will need a knife in most honker situation, while the lessers seem to have less overall.

its REAL easy, get a big ziploc bag, cut the breasts into strips, and add a cut up orange per bag, a bottle of A1, and and some soy sauce and keep in the fridge either overnight and for a few hours.

you can either add some bacon strips by toothpicks (to help from drying out ) or not, i like both ways, get the grill REALLY hot, and cook like a fine steak, its delicious

charlo slim

Ahhhh, that does sound great. We have done the bacon wrap over breast meat chunk with jalapeno "insert" deal, but never anything more toward the sweet side of the equation.  Will for sure give it a go.

Thanks.

tut
Great post.  Here in Va, we mostly have local Canada Geese and they are lovingly referred to as "Sky Carp".  At least this has given me some idea's to try.

braque du upstate
in my house ,goose means burrito's. cut into thin strips,peppers ,onions and lately we've been using green chile salsa.  easy to prepare and cheap.  are early ny season lets u take 8/a day.Photobucket

Spin

One method I like came from a friend's family who lives down around Crab Orchard Lake in Southern Illinois(lots of Canadas)

Skin and Filet out breasts

Slice crossgrain into very thin slices

Put 1 qt. water into a slow cooker and set on high

add 2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 tsp beef base

add 2 med yellow onions thinly sliced

add 2 tbl butter

add one package Lowery's Italian Seasoning or equivalent

brand

cook for 2 hrs on high with pot covered and reduce heat

setting and continue cooking for at least another 2hrs or

longer(longer is better)

You now have some very nice Italian Beef made from goose breast. Serve on crusty split Italian or French Bread or a Kaiser or onion roll with a little fried green pepper slices, red

sauce and some grated mozzarella cheeze on top and melted with a quick trip under the broiler. A neighbor fed one of these sandwiches to his wife who wouldn't eat goose at gunpoint and she was wild about it. Of course she thought it was beef.

Spin

gunsrus
Never liked to shoot the geese cause I couldn't cook em and hated to see them wasted . Thanks for renewing the interest with the new recipes . Back to the marsh .