2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PartridgeCartridge

Game Shooting Better

Rex Hoppie
I would like to be a better game shot.

sxsneubaum

PC while everyone is swelling your head and stroking you. I have a couple of questions.  How do I practice the gun mount if I don't know how to do it?  What drills are there to practice?  

I'm down with what you are saying.  I am not a good shot by any means.  I started shooting as a rifle shooter and it stuck.  I will halt my swing on my target.  There was a period of time that I was missing everything.  So I broke down what I was doing.  The first thing I went with was my feet.  I always try to have my feet in a firing position when I stop or the dogs are getting birdy.  The next thing is my mantra, Watch the head, not the tail.  

So oh wise one, what drills can I practice?

wkburns
There are several good drills in books such as Chris Bathas "Breaking Clays" book. I use the one in Robert Churchills "Game Shooting" book. Percy Stanbury also has drills in his "Shotgun Marksmanship" book. They all have slightly different drills, but overall they will teach you the same thing. Go with the one that suites you best.

PartridgeCartridge

I’ve learned over the years that just being able to shoot well does NOT qualify someone to give instructions.  The ability to impart knowledge is an entirely separate skill from shooting well.  

Correct and thank you Greg for pointing that out.

As Gary has pointed out several times, I'm not expousing anything new here. What I have tried to do, and I believe, is refreshing, is to help UJ'ers to learn how to be better gameshots.

I believe I have brought a unique learning style to our group. It is a style based on the understanding that everyone learns differently. Understanding the learning needs of individuals is the key to passing on individual knowledge.

Instructional methods must be understandable, repeatable and fun.

For each and every one of us. Especially on an individual basis.

I truly believe I have bridged that gap and provide an intuitively fun place to learn solid form and technique.

I understand how people learn and that is a fundamental cornerstone of my instruction. Some instructors NEVER learn this. Anyone that ever shoots with me can be assured of learning at their pace, not mine. In their space and in their own time. True experiential learning.

Some of my methods are actually quite devious. The "Bird and Bit"  concept is a perfect example of showing the importance of using your eyes and keeping your head down. But it is so damn fun that nobody can resist trying it and they soon learn the value of a consistent cheek weld.

See what I mean by devious? They can't help but learn and thirst for more while having a great time.

If you look at us a group, we are the salt of the earth in terms of upland hunters in this world. I'm proud to be a part of that. As a group we all want to watch the dogs work, spend time with good friends and shoot some birds.

I'm all about that.

Mike Connally

I think the most important thing to take away from this subject is that some form of instruction is helpful.  I have been a target shooter for 30 years and a bird hunter for 45 years.  I figured a lot of this stuff out for myself over that time.  If you shoot 10,000 to 20,000 rounds a year, you are probably going to pick up enough technique just through trial and error to become a competent shooter.  In all that time, though, I never had a session with someone who could really analyze my methods and give me an alternative.  Dave was able to slow down my gun mount and get me to insert the barrels in front of the target.  So......I came away with two changes to my technique.  I kinda thought I was already doing these things, because I had been working to that end for a while.  Someone like Dave was able to study what I was doing and show me what to do.  I can't get that kind of observation and advice from my regular shooting buddies.  If you are already an experienced shooter I don't think it's always reasonable to expect to come away from instruction with a completely changed technique.  I came away with two big changes.  That's a major win.

Thanks Dave.

leonk

good thread

This book helped me a lot when I decided to learn to shoot

and I couldn't afford instruction.

The Orvis Wing-Shooting Handbook

I had my gun by the side of the bed :-)

and was practicing mounting before bed every day.

Chukarman
 Dave was able to slow down my gun mount and get me to insert the barrels in front of the target.  

Pretty important, and the essence of Bidwell's MMS teaching. I worked hard on this and learned to better manage a light game gun.

It's refreshing to have someone actually share their knowledge rather than just list all of the instructors from whom they have learned. As an educator myself, your comments about students learning at their own pace and keeping the learning fun speaks volumes of your abilities as a teacher.

Brad Eden
If I take you up on your offer for instruction will you keep it completely confidential?  :down:  :oops:

PartridgeCartridge
If I take you up on your offer for instruction will you keep it completely confidential?  :down:  :oops:

With the exception of the PE, yes, completely confidential.

Hunshatt

oh stop....... ur makin me spew coffe............

Bonasa
Very impressive Dave!  I hope I can visit you for some firsthand instruction.

bigjohnsd
I'm hopin PC will see his way to attend the Midwest UJ Fest in June.