• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Briarscratch

Upland Tradition, Pheasants vs. Grouse, etc.

wkburns

Maybe now my vote for the Meadowlark, as king of gamebirds will be counted!!

Just doing my job...Meadowlark has been added to list above.

So now besides shaming us pheasant hunters, you are going to start killing our state bird. Man, I thought this was a forgive and forget thread.

Brad Eden

Thanks Ralph--you are all set.

Check PM for the outstanding enhanced privileges you will now enjoy. UJ Meadowlark decal is in the mail!

Brad Eden

Maybe now my vote for the Meadowlark, as king of gamebirds will be counted!!

Just doing my job...Meadowlark has been added to list above.

So now besides shaming us pheasant hunters, you are going to start killing our state bird. Man, I thought this was a forgive and forget thread.

oops.

Spin

I think you ought to settle it by adopting the bunny or tree rat as king of upland hunting. EHHH then there'd be the debate over snowshoe VS cottontail or fox squirrel VS gray.

Ah forget it.

Spin

sdgord

The sharptail is the king of birds, even those of us that live out here in the ditch parrot wastelands know that. We kill pheasants just to make room for more sharptails and chickens. The crown is interchangeable between these two avian royals.  

For now we have been reduced to songbird safari, robins now are the top point bird, so I must release the hounds to corner the collared doves or is it collard doves and you serve them with greens?

chickensapair.jpg

Ralph Ford

You are lucky to have such a noble adversary as your state bird.  Here in Indiana, the Meadowlark is in abundance, sits fairly tight, flies with enough speed to be a challenge, and tastes like chicken!!  You do have to be careful and not confuse it with it's commercial cousin, the canary, which tastes like pheasant.

Ralph Ford

Check PM for the outstanding enhanced privileges you will now enjoy. UJ Meadowlark decal is in the mail!

Dang Brad,  If I knew contributing members got all those extra privileges and merchandise, I would have signed up before!!  I really like the Rolex, and look forward to the Southern Plantation hunt in the spring.  

Thanks again, R. Ford

jmooney
I am doing paintings of chukar, quail (all types), sharptail, prairie chicken, snipe, blue grouse, Hungarian Partridge (Hun), doves, pigeons, european woodcock, francolin, guineafowl, ducks (all types), geese (aqll types), sandgrouse, spurfowl, peafowl, wild turkey, ptarmigan, Capercaillie, spruce grouse, red grouse, crows, starlings, robins, and more for UJ decals. Should be done by 2050 give or take.

Did I miss any?

Oh, meadowlark, himilayan snowcock...

You neglect the English Wood Pigeon.  I am perturbed and offended, and I am unanimous in that.

Brad Eden
I am doing paintings of chukar, quail (all types), sharptail, prairie chicken, snipe, blue grouse, Hungarian Partridge (Hun), doves, pigeons, european woodcock, francolin, guineafowl, ducks (all types), geese (aqll types), sandgrouse, spurfowl, peafowl, wild turkey, ptarmigan, Capercaillie, spruce grouse, red grouse, crows, starlings, robins, and more for UJ decals. Should be done by 2050 give or take.

Did I miss any?

Oh, meadowlark, himilayan snowcock...

You neglect the English Wood Pigeon.  I am perturbed and offended, and I am unanimous in that.

Sorry. I'll add "All Types." :blush:

Brad Eden

Dang Brad,  If I knew contributing members got all those extra privileges and merchandise, I would have signed up before!!  I really like the Rolex, and look forward to the Southern Plantation hunt in the spring.  

Thanks again, R. Ford

No problem. I forgot to mention your name goes into a drawing for a custom Purdey SxS DT 16 gauge. I was planning on exquisite engraving of a ruffed grouse on both sides of receiver using the UJ grouse logo art as the model. But if you win I can have them make the engravings a Meadowlark instead.

Ralph Ford
Too cool.   :cool:

mike campbell

1159416062popwfI.jpg

The one on the left is obviously the grouse hunter

Something's wrong.

Grouse hunters don't use their hands or bend over to tie their boots....that's when the birds flush.

Pheasants, uhhh, just another cheap Chinese import. :D

GRHunter

A Twenty gets you Contributing Member status! But you can continue to suck up bandwidth for free--its voluntary.

OK, the guilt trip worked on me too. Please update my status so that the shame can be lifted from my name.  :sleepy:

LostintheOzone

I changed the name of this Forum. Refresh.

Good move. Now you need to work on the bird dog part. Maybe "Hunting any bird you want with any dog you want.

This should cause quite a stir with field trialers and the Orvis crowd. See you on Letterman Brad.

Jim