• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Briarscratch

Upland Tradition, Pheasants vs. Grouse, etc.

mschaefer
Christmas present...would this make a neat decal....

IMG_0352.jpg

Where are you guys finding this shirt?  I need one.  :D

rprovines

But nope, turns out that the @#%^@ little cretin absolutely refused to retrieve ruffed grouse (even ones shot flying).  So I finally decided to insist that he abide by some upland tradition, and make the retrieve.  Good news/bad news kind of an outcome. Good news is that he made the retrieve and delivery just fine.  Bad news -- he's been licking his a$$ ever since -- trying to get the awful taste out of his mouth.

HAR!

Brad Eden
That's shocking. I assumed dogs would have an aversion to Chinese food.

brymoore

I proclaim the Pheasant to be the World King game bird.  Think about it.  You can shoot Pheasants in Europe, North and South America, Australia/Pacific, Asia and probably Africa.  

The world has spoken and they prefer the Pheasant.

Brad Eden
I like being in the minority.

jmooney
I proclaim the Pheasant to be the World King game bird.  Think about it.  You can shoot Pheasants in Europe, North and South America, Australia/Pacific, Asia and probably Africa.  

You can shoot grouse in most of those places too.

rprovines
Yes you can, but not ruffled. Probably could if most of those places had trees and limbs for them, they're selective after all, gotta have the right habitat: Ground, check; leaves on ground, check; tree, check; limbs on tree, check...

brymoore

You can shoot grouse in most of those places too.

Not ruffed grouse.

vabirddog

OK, They're plentiful, (like chicken), I believe that puts them on par with rabbits, which can also be found just about everywhere.

The rare trophies are the one's most coveted!

bigjohnsd
Do Grouse hunters have a Flush counter by each stool too?

brymoore

OK, They're plentiful, (like chicken), I believe that puts them on par with rabbits, which can also be found just about everywhere.

The rare trophies are the one's most coveted!

They're more than plentiful - they're a desired species that adapts well.  People want to be able to hunt pheasants.

The prince, of course, is the Chukar who can be found in almost as many continents.  

As for chickens, it seems that ruffs, when raised domestically, are basically chickens.

Ruff as Barnyard Fowl

Spin

Brymoore,

You can rear them domesticly but it's very difficult and a PITA

Huns are no picnic either. Pheasent take to domestic production way better.

Just sayin'

now I'm backing away from this buzzsaw

Spin

bigjohnsd

This article explains alot, though not how "Petey" of Scarborough managed to migrate from the pens at Worcester, Ma where the good Doctor apparently hatched, raised and hand fed him.  

Why it seems to me that the "strain" has taken over in XX, XX and XX.  No wonder the "hunters" in the North East prefer to hunt the "king"!  They can sleep in chairs all day, see all those pix of Hunshatt, wander outside about dusk and call up some birds for supper.  The corn fed Ruff's must eat pretty good.

mschaefer

I have been gone to long.  These were good times ;)