2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PartridgeCartridge

Game shooting Better II

PartridgeCartridge

OK, so we are all learning at this point and I am seeing, and learning, some interesting stuff, especially about how people shoot and learn to shoot.

Once I take a shooter and give them a basic mount, after about an hour or so of shooting, they start to feel the subtle beginning nuances of smoother control. I can see it in their faces and their body movements too. Things start to slow down and targets start to get easier to move into, move with and break. They start to smile and relax, they start to break more birds consistently and then they smile some more as though they have finally felt more in control of their shot pattern for the first time.

This is a very good thing and something I believe is the foundation for shooting better on the next level.

This is also the point where many shooters feel like they have fallen into an abyss and critically need to develop a skill set to manage each and every bird/target in a controlled, knowable and repeatable way. This is also a skill set that I am convinced is the MISSING LINK for many shooters.  

So, for the benefit of those that can’t share time with us on the range, and would like to shoot better,  here is something to work on at your home range. This is purely a suggestion, not an absolute, but I am confident that if you try it you will start to feel more in control of your shot pattern. I would welcome anyone’s opinions and thoughts on the matter as well.

“Cutting Off your birds”

Sounds simple and it is. It is called many things like "insertion", but to me “cutting off” translates better to most people, especially on an instructional level. “Cutting Off” is an elusive critter to catch unless you stop looking at your gun and start to really see your targets and to TRUST your eyes and hands to move the gun to where your eyes are focused. It is a concept based in mount.

Best defined, it is a state of mind on how to manage an object in flight.

The idea here is to properly mature your mount to precisely, but dynamically, “Cut Off” an object in motion on the rear edge or leading edge or a forward space in the object flight path. It is a concept whereby your mount matures at the precise point that you insert on an object, in harmony with the object speed, without having that object pass your barrels. This is one of the fundamental and critical concepts in all shooting flying and really needs to be learned as part of your basic form. It provides precise control and placement. Precise pointing skills.

Shotguns are pointed. And they must be pointed with precision and consistency born of subtle control.

A lack of a cut off skill also, in my opinion, is the missing component for many advancing shooters once they see an abject in flight and try to handle it as a moving target. In essence, it is one of the big things that many don’t grasp. A missing skill link for many shooters. A very big missing link.

Most importantly it forces you to see an object to complete the process correctly. And when you are seeing the object, you are not seeing your barrels.

Even more significantly, “cutting off” will establish your baseline for adding forward allowance to your shots. Crisp cut off skills will enhance your pull through/pass through, pull way and sustained/maintained lead precision. It is an essential woodland grouse skill.

The bottom line here is that once the hands, eyes, barrel and bird are in one uniform plane and motion, an object flying becomes much easier to manage. In fact, once all that stuff is out of the way, the only real obstacle is providing the requisite forward allowance to affect a shot pattern collision with the object. Since the cut off already takes into account mount tempo and target speed, the only real issues here are distance and angle. Since angle and distance are generally dealt with by cutting off an object at different intervals in relation to its path, these two concepts are simplified as well.

Cutting off will give you managed control and lead management in one smooth movement. Who wouldn’t want that?

Here is the concept and the drill: Start with a twenty yard crosser like a skeet target station  2,3, 5, 6.

As you see a target/bird move, always think “eyes first”, DON”T move the gun. When you start to crisply see the target, start to roll slightly onto your front foot slowly. This will move your off hand shoulder towards the bird. Keep your head up and your eyes level. Slowly and smoothly bring the gun into your shoulder trying to time the gun to reach a full cheekweld at the precise moment that your barrels, DON”T LOOK AT THEM, touch the leading edge of your target in your peripheral vision. It is a movement into a target that will essentially lock you and your gun into the forward flight path of the object. For just a brief second move in unison with the target speed and deliver your shot. Keep your eyes on the bird and stare at it hard.

Try this a few dozen times slowly. Then try to cut off the bird on the back edge, the center, the leading edge and with a little air in front of it.

What is important is not hitting the target. If you consistently miss the target the same you will benefit from this exercise. Simply changing your cut off spot will change that. What you will start to feel, hopefully, is that precise placement of your barrels can become a subconscious reality with just a little practice. You will also inescapably find that your lead will be determined by your cutoff point. Don’t look at your barrels! Don’t swipe your gun.

Endeavor to cut off your birds with the slowest smoothest and least movement you can manage. Trust me on this. Just try it and tell me what you think.  

If you have questions or need troubleshooting your technique, there is a wealth of talent here to reach out to. Campbell, Krol, Frankenfield, Fuess, Polecat, Cote, Cappiletti, Drummerstump, Hartman and a plethora of others are rich sources for learning to shoot flying better. Sorry if I missed anybody there. My point is that better shooting is simply a PM away for most of us.

I recognize the difficulties in trying to relate these concepts in a written form. I’m convinced this skill will improve your shooting if you don’t already use it. Without exception, every good shooter has good cut off skills.

There is simply no substitute for having someone show you technique firsthand. But if just one of you picks up on this and something clicks, well, my heart goes pitter-patter.

Good shooting to all of you.

PC,

Honest questions here.

This appears to be a form of Move Mount Shoot?

Who taught you or are you just one of those that figured it out for himself?

Hunshatt

theres about 20 paragraphs of "bla bla bla" , (you know I got ADD and didn't make it past "hello")

Anyhow, while I have shot with you, learned from you, refined my shooting to the point where I'm fairly happy(though always looking for "better") upgraded my arsenal , using the paramiters you've espoused. I've bought into your program, BUT at the end of the day, your not going to be able to help eveyone.

Here's the rational for my statement.

You(papa smurf)  can take any number of people with moderate skill levels and make them more than competent. A few examples at the lower end of moderate,  Mike Connoly, Pat Berry, the Karat'e kid, heck even myself, and we can go out and be markedly more effect as predators. Your concepts work even at that low level, BUT it doesn't translate to the handicaped......

You've spent days and days, hours and hours , working with, well just as an example, Mcsqueely.... Mentoring him with regard to his shooting, gunfit, and hunting skills....... He still sucks. His dog makes a good blanket, he  has wonderfull firearms that fit, but yet he still cant hit his ass with either hand, and he won't take the time to go even 20 mins from his house to chase WMA phez(letting his little red setter develop his skills), after I got him an introduction to a local guy that would have been happy to show him whatever good spots he had in Western Jersey. WTF?????....... He found time to watch all the collge games on sat, but no time for running his dog??????

There , for all to see is the ONE fault with your theory. At the end of the day you need to want to be a better shot, and a more effecent harvestor of the Upland bounty that we are blessed(unless you live in the south) to have access to.

BTW you lost some crediablity when you included dumbasastump in your resource list..... :glare:  :glare:

PartridgeCartridge

This appears to be a form of Move Mount Shoot?

Not really but kind of.

MMS is a shooting system. "Cutting off" is a technique. While many shooting systems share similiar techniques, a target approach does not constitute a system.

All I'm offering is a discrete, understandable and repeatable approach to acquiring an object moving and managing it in its flight path. Just one simple technique.

There are many fine books on shooting but many are also hard to dissect into a specific excersizes that show rapid results.

I believe this specific one ties alot of loose ends together. I also believe that if you are not using some iteration of target management that you are not shooting to your current ability.

JMO

Kenai

That's awesome, I can't wait to try it.

I'm not sure what's more impressive, your knowlege on the subject or your ability to articulate it on paper that allows even a dummy like me to feel like I understoood it.

Thanks for sharing.

Crayborn

Once I take a shooter and give them a basic mount,

You lost me, well I ran away scared and covering my rear.

fuess
Once I take a shooter and give them a basic mount,

You lost me, well I ran away scared and covering my rear.

one of the funniest things I have ever read!

PC,

I understand your thoughts and agree.

My downfall on clays is missing the subtle movements. Example, targets thrown high at a steep angle, when they peak they not only are still flying forward but instantly start to drop, but the target itself is still in the leading edge up attitude. I don't always percieve the drop, miss the bastards more than not. Wrecks an otherwise reasonable score.

PartridgeCartridge

PC,

I understand your thoughts and agree.

My downfall on clays is missing the subtle movements. Example, targets thrown high at a steep angle, when they peak they not only are still flying forward but instantly start to drop, but the target itself is still in the leading edge up attitude. I don't always percieve the drop, miss the bastards more than not. Wrecks an otherwise reasonable score.

Diagonal risers that fall drift are a target setter's way of taking targets from you. That is their demonic job.

By giving you edge on presentations, they are also 'effing with your brain's ability to clearly see the target and to read its line.

Since you can't read the line, you normally miss.

Two better approachs might be to cut that target off on the back edge and move through it, pulling away to maintain the line and break it  while its still rising, hard to see and still on edge or to cut it off on its leading 6 o'clock position (shooting its feet off) as it drifts edge up but is actually falling.

It is still all about target management whether its a clay or a bird. And cutting off provides that basis for management that enables you to break targets or hit birds in multiple areas of their flightpath.

Its called "Owning" a bird. Some here know what that means.

ANF grousin

A few people have flipped me the bird already, thinkin one of even posted on this thread :devil:

PartridgeCartridge

A few people have flipped me the bird already, thinkin one of even posted on this thread :devil:

You sound like a good candidate for the Hunshatt Shooting School. Tim would be happy to give you a good mount and show you some of his insertion techniques.

ANF grousin
Can he shoot good when mounting from the side

Hunshatt

yup, and amazingly fast :down:  :down:

olddog22202

That's awesome, I can't wait to try it.

I'm not sure what's more impressive, your knowlege on the subject or your ability to articulate it on paper that allows even a dummy like me to feel like I understoood it.

Thanks for sharing.

What Kenai said .... X2

Thanks,

Mike

bigjohnsd

yup, and amazingly fast :down:  :down:

3 pumps and a quiver!