Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Cant Lose Woodcock Recipe

This recipe is amazing. It recycles every year on the UJ BB for a good reason. Since it does, I don't feel silly for answering a 4 year old question. Not any cooking oil will work. There are 2 main reasons for this. The flavor of the sesame oil is a big part of the dish. The other reason is the high flashpoint for sesame oil. It can withstand high heat.

Mr. Hong can correct me if I'm wrong, but the dish is stir fried (or sautéed) in vegetable oil.  Though I'm sure peanut oil would be fine. The sesame oil is added, as you noted, as a very important flavor component.

Hey Ben - I did char sit on the BGE last weekend.  No smoke, good stuff!

Ben Hong
This recipe is amazing. It recycles every year on the UJ BB for a good reason. Since it does, I don't feel silly for answering a 4 year old question. Not any cooking oil will work. There are 2 main reasons for this. The flavor of the sesame oil is a big part of the dish. The other reason is the high flashpoint for sesame oil. It can withstand high heat.

Mr. Hong can correct me if I'm wrong, but the dish is stir fried (or sautéed) in vegetable oil.  Though I'm sure peanut oil would be fine. The sesame oil is added, as you noted, as a very important flavor component.

Hey Ben - I did char sit on the BGE last weekend.  No smoke, good stuff!

The very distinctive, and strong, sesame oil is NOT, repeat NOT, used in frying or cooking. Us Asians use one or two DROPS at the plating for a flavour accent only. The reason that we do NOT use sesame oil for hot wokking is that it will impart a charred taste to a dish, indicating a low flash point or low tolerance for hot heat. Ever wonder why sesame oil, especially the best kind, is sold in tiny 3 oz bottles?

My preferred cooking oil is peanut oil (when I feel extravagant), but 99% of the time, I use canola or veg oil.

Long live the BGE!!!

Millriver

Just found this and can't wait to try it. I will, however, substitute maple syrup for the brown sugar, as we usually do here. Use it in everything where something sweet is required.

Millriver

Thanks UJ for a new awesome woodcock recipe. Made it tonight and you're right, "can't miss". As stated before, substituted maple syrup for the brown sugar, used Crown Royal in the marinade, and added mushrooms during the sauce reduction. Served with my wife's dilly beans and fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden, it was a delicious meal! Complimented with a bottle of red wine, can't wait for round 2 during bird camp. Next up is Uplander's grouse recipe!

IMG_2383.JPG

Millriver

My bad, my wife had white, I drank the red. She took the picture, she's a better photographer!

mcgreg
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2010 at 7:41 PM, Ben Hong said:

Heat the pan, add the oil, wait for oil to reach smoking point, add meat. This is one of THE cardinal rules in everyday cooking. By doing this kind of searing you can cook like a chef. Little bits of meat (like woodcock and quail) demand that everything is done HOT and FAST, so the burner has to be at the max. all the while.

Using this method to pan grill steaks and chops can give you results every bit as good as a gas bbq.

As for the leftover marinade, try this: take out the meat, put remaining marinade into the pan, reduce, and pour over the meat. 3-4 drops (I mean only drops) of Asian sesame oil before pouring can delightfully change the whole dish.

Happy 2017 T Day to all!

Well we nixed the turkey till later, and did Mr Hong's Cant Lose recipe on some Michigan WC. It was awesom. As usual, didn't exactly follow the recipe, subbed in some nice red cabernet for the bourbon, but it was great. Thanks again and cheers, Ben and Brad!

IMG_2276.JPG