• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Briarscratch

What are your three favorite flies?

KCShlly

Under the conditions you describe, Jeff, it is definitely time to shoot ducks, not resort to souless depth dredging with a troubling Tribble. I'll bring some bloodworms for you next time we go brant hunting.

Erik T: You've named all the PA spring creek classics, except for ants. Ever use em?

Charlie Fox liked cress bugs, I heard him say at a lecture. Ever fish his stretch of the Letort with the bench there on the bank? He loved that water.

1.  Light Cahill Parachute

Reason: It Works

2.Green Caddis CDC  

3.  Hare's Ear Nymph

I assume various sizes of the above flies are permissible?

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

Little Black Caddis-it seems to work whenever fish are stiking topwater

Light tan Wolly Worm-I fish steams with a lot of crayfish, this streamer really seems to do the trick

Royal Coachman Wet Fly- just plain buetiful a joy to cast in ripples.

Adams

Jeez, Adams, I'm surprised. I figured with your name, you know, it might be something besides a bugger, elk-hair and pheasant tail...

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. I put my picks down in order of success.  But practically speaking, I throw my namesake more often than not as a general may fly imitator.  And although an Adams is by not means a tough tie, I can knock out a pile of PT's or buggers in less time.  Adams

Favorite flies eh?

1. Clouser minnow. Best channel catfish fly there is, good for walleye too.

2. #16 Adams. The one fly, one fly guys ply.

3. Foam spider. Sometimes you just have to fish bluegills.

...Scotsman

I like Stimulators alot too

GangGreen,

Now this is what happens when a flat land guy invades the home land.  They bring funny ideas with them, just kidding!

In reality it depends on which stream I am fishing as to what my favorite flies are.  However a Black Stone Fly Parachute or Adams Parachute can be use on most any stream any where to catch large fish.   From about mid May till freeze out time

Parachute Slate Drakes bring large trout to the surface when presented correctly.  The Spruce Creek bath tub can be a lot of fun with these big flies, they are a must if wanting to draw big wild fish to the surface on Pine Creek or the Yough River.  Throw in Ma Dette's Coffin Fly for large Rainbows in hard water, and your all set.  

Beans

rprovines

#1 goto fly - olive wooley bugger. Can be tied in any size to imitate a variety of things.

#2 fly - elk hair caddis. Tie 'em in different colors and sizes. All around searching pattern for topwater. Don't grease them, fish them as a wet.

#3 fly - parachute adams.  Again, in a variety of sizes and colors can imitate any mayfly on the water.

At type of flashback pheasant tail,that I also use when stoneflies are hatching early in the season

a type of Quill Gordon,tied with Grouse Tail feathers,(gray phase)

Goddard Caddis

adknimrod
The Usual; only use I can figure for a Hare, I tried eating Hares, Now I know why the hare hunters give me the whole animal when all I want is the rear feet. Fran Betters developed this fly, rides good, catches fish and material is easy to find. The Wooly Bugger, because we have lots of Leaches. The Elk Hair for the Caddis hatches.    And I will go deep with Nymphs for the big Trout

ErikT
Erik T: You've named all the PA spring creek classics, except for ants. Ever use em?

Charlie Fox liked cress bugs, I heard him say at a lecture. Ever fish his stretch of the Letort with the bench there on the bank? He loved that water.

Kevin,

You bet I fish ants!  And, I forgot to add cress bugs to the list.  Ed Shenk, the inventor of the pattern, is a friend of mine.

Funny you mention Charlie's old bench. I sometimes drive there on my lunch hour (about 6 minutes away) and eat my lunch and cast a line or two.  The LeTort is actually within easy walking distance of my office.  I often eat lunch by the stream. I love the LeTort. It's a fascinating stream.  The history along just blows you away.  The sad thing is the development that is pending and underway. Very sad. The Home Depot development just got 'cleared' and they have proposed a 400 house development on the opposite bank....  The stream takes a beating but just keeps holding on, although, it's a shadow of it's former self.

Erik

macvet51
Cone head maribou, Hex, slate wing olive macvet. although my boxes are littered with I don't know how many variations of variations, the older I get the more I think I could do just fine with these three in variable sizes.  Its alot like my tying 2 weeks ago I went through my materials and gave my son roughly 500$ worth of materials that were perfectly good that I don't use any more because I now limit my ties to about 15 different bugs.  I guess I'm getting old.  By the way I love Briarscratch's pink streamer/nymph.

Briarscratch

By the way I love Briarscratch's pink streamer/nymph.

Thanks macvet. I wanted something that would get down deep, resemble an eggsac and flash a little.  

A later version has a tiny bit of hot orange marabou tied onto the butt. This one is called the "hot butt tribble".  I hope to give it a try in Alaska this summer.

I was pretty proud to catch my first steelhead on a fly I that whipped up.  Unfortunately, my buddy John went to help me land the fish and snapped the tippet before we could get a picture of it.  

Here I am trying to be a good sport minutes after the "mis-handling".  I think I was in the middle of saying something like "I am never going to forget this you butterfingered SOB!"

LinkPhoto?GUID=255d4ac0-64c7-3b4a-7798-4

Red Stripe Rod

For tailwaters (size 18 - 22):

1) Parachute Adams

2) Olive Sparkle Dun

3) Hershey Emerger nymph- my own recipe, which is: brown biot, brown thorax, white polypropylene wing tuft.

For streams that don't get a lot of pressure (size 14 - 18):

1) Elk Hair Caddis

2) Adams

3) Pheasant Tail nymph

Grey Scot

More or less I would call them confidence flies because I feel I can catch fish on them all the time her in MN and in WI.

BH Lightning Bug (easily my number one)

Black Caddis

BH Orange Scud

The BH Pink Squirrel is a new pattern that is quickly becoming a favorite for me also.

Royal Wulf - epitomy of a fly that actually works

Orvis Hopper - best all around summer bug

Green Inch Worm - it works for me

Warning Actual Conversation

Wife: Can't wait for you to catch some fresh fish so we can eat them.

Me: Me neither.  Trout are really good.

After first fish caught

Wife: Wow. I guess you really can catch fish from a small stream like this.

Me: Yeah.  You didn't think I'd be out here for no chance would you?

Wife:  I guess not.  What is it (the fish) doing?

Me: It's trying to breath out of water.

Wife: Oh.  Well, just let it go then.  I don't want to eat it anymore.