Sign in to follow this  
PartridgeCartridge

Game Shooting Better III

billc

PC,

not sure you check in up here anymore but wanted to thank you for your series which I think is started to reap benefit.

a grouse trip a few weeks ago had my gun chasing after birds and not much success as a result. Today went out to shoot some clays and worked on the 'cut-off' and at least in low gun clays it improved my shooting considerably.

Its a strange feeling, this cut off, almost as if my insertion is way ahead of the bird ( although I'm guessing its not as far as I think.) but the net result is so much more control of the target which I believe is what you're talking about. Its taken some time but I'm hopeful this is a step forward

again thanks

bill

john mcg

I've just reread the three and what I'm left with is an appreciation of how the way you have laid out the principals, has made it easier to visualize things with the mind's eye(s).

:)

LostintheOzone
I have seen some very good trap shooters use the cut-off method. Works well because the targets are quartering away. I've never learned the method. I've always used an English or pass through method in the field and I use it on clays also. As you say, learn one and stick with it. Either works well when mastered. Jim

PartridgeCartridge

I have seen some very good trap shooters use the cut-off method. Works well because the targets are quartering away. I've never learned the method. I've always used an English or pass through method in the field and I use it on clays also. As you say, learn one and stick with it. Either works well when mastered. Jim

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here as I have really never heard of trap shooters using this concept.

Can you explain that a bit more?

quaily

Early last season, a quail got up to my side. By the time I shot, I had corkscrewed myself into the ground. I missed twice.

That evening, I added a new routine to my home mounting practice routine. I turn, reestablish my balance, and then mount my gun. Sometimes I turn all the way around, sometimes I barely turn, etc

Other than learning to keep both eyes open, no other practice had more impact on my wing shooting. Only missed one pheasant and three quail the rest of the year.

Riffle Runner

I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to shoot with PC last week in central Jersey.  I will have to reread the Game Shooting Posts to digest everything we covered, but suffice it to say that Dave had me hitting more clays (than I ever have) at distances I did not think possible.  As an instructor, he is the Real Deal.  

And I can't fail to mention the burger that he convinced me to try at the joint down the road; biggest damn sandwich I have ever seen served on a plate.  

-Thanks again Dave.    

Scott