2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Your best Dove recipe?

Rhode Island

Actually, I find I like them best sauteed in butter to medium rare, maybe with a little steak seasoning.  There are lots of ways to do them, but I find they stand alone just fine.

RI

VizslavsBird

I pop the meat off the breast bone and marinate in a combination of Heinz 57 steak sauce, soy sauce and beer for about 4 hours.

Place meat on skewers with garden fresh squash, onion, peppers, mushrooms and bacon, (whatever you like).  Cook slow and low to medium rare.

Plate with a nice wild rice and salad with fried okra, raw onion and raw tomato (even parts of okra and tomato, 1/2 as much onion).

CAGWP
Debone the breast meat and soak in italian dressing for a day then season to taste and wrap two halves together with bacon. I put a garlic clove between the two halves season and wrap the bacon, secure with a tooth pick and bar-b-q until the bacon is done.  I've also used other items in the middle from peppers,bell pepper,chile's, or any thing you have a taste for.

it must be a california thing but i like them the same way as CAGWP

not a California way totally.  Like em the same way here in KS!  Italian dressing marinade, wrap in bacon and grill or smoke.   Might have to try the with the pepper in there too!

browndog
saute the onions in butter til clear and then add the breast and cook just enough to get a little color on them -- eat 'em rare to med rare..

Lurch

Baste in a concoction of equal parts honey and Heinz57.

Then grill on kabob skewers with 'maters, viadalia onions, and peppers.

Wash down with a fine vintage of Smithwicks or McEwan's

KerryLuft

This takes a little work, but it is spectacular. My wife doesn't like doves and she loves this.

1 dozen dove breasts

6 TBSP margarine or butter

3 TBSP flour

2 1/2 cups chicken broth plus 2 cups water

1 bunch green onions, chopped

1 sweet green pepper, chopped

3 cloves garlic, sliced thin

4 TBSP Worcestershire sauce

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. Cajun spice blend

1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

2 bay leaves

1/2 cup cream sherry

1 pound fresh button mushrooms

In a cast iron pot, brown the doves in the margarine or butter. Remove dove meat, add flour and blend with butter or margarine to make a roux. Add the broth and water, bring to a rolling boil and cook until the mixture coasts the back of a wooden spoon.

Add the green onions, sweet pepper and garlic and cook until highly aromatic, about 5 minutes. Add the Worcestershire, salt, Cajun spices, thyme, cayenne, bay leaves, doves and sherry, cover and lower the flame to low. Simmer 45 minutes or until doves are fork-tender.

Add the mushrooms, another shot of sherry and cook 10 more minutes. Serve with rice, corn pudding or polenta.

SCBoykin

I like the Dove poppers.......

debone breast and cut in half

Lightly boil meat in Crab Boil.

Drain and allow to cool

On a toothpick, skewer one pc dove meat, 3/4"x3/4" cube of Monterrey Jack cheese, and 1 or 2 sliced jalapenos and a second pc dove meat.

drag through your favorite flour/meal mix and deep fry.

Jalapeno poppers with dove meat........not too much work if you are prepped.

Mntngoat

Slight rendition to the above.

This is how we prepared this years dove.

Breast out the dove, rinse, and set aside.

Partially cook bacon in microwave about 2 minutes, so it is still pliabale.

Roast 3-4 jalepeno's on grill blanch in ice water to help remove skin.

Remove remaining skin, and all seeds from peppers, slice into pieces about the same size as breasts.

Roll breasts, peppers up with bacon on outside pin in place with toothpick or place on skewer.

Water chestnuts alonge with teh peppers give them a nice crunch.

Grill 2- 5 minutes until bacon is cooked.

Serve as appetizer.

Michael

Marinate in Italian Dressing for 20-30 minutes.  Spread on layer of cream cheese then a layer of jalapeno-peach jelly (or jalapeno/fruit jelly of your choosing).  Roll up the breast and wrap with half-slice of bacon, secure with toothpick.  Grill until bacon is done and watch 'em disappear!  :)

Debone, plane a large onion slice, a pinch of cheddar cheese, and some seaon all between the two halves, then wrap in bacon, secure with a toothpick, and marinade in a mixture of soy sauce, onions, and seasonings for an hour or two.  Then put them on a charcoal BBQ.  My favorite so far...

Like the other people from California (CAGWP and birdboy87), I like "dove-poppers".

1) de-bone the breasts.

2) half a jalapeno (hollow-out the pepper to remove heat).

3) place the breast either in the hollow portion of the pepper or around the pepper.

4) wrap in baccon and secure with a toothpick.

5) place the dove-poppers in a bowl and marinate with Italian Dressing overnight in the refrigerator (with a lid).

6) place the dove-poppers on the grill and cover with bar-b-q sauce.

7) cook until done.

Serve with a nice wheat beer (hefeweizen) with a squeeze of lemon.

CO Brit

I grew up dove hunting with my dad and uncles in a good sized Italian family in CA. The traditional way we prepared every dove I can ever remember was in red pasta sauce.

We only used the breast meat on the bone.

Simply saute the doves for a few minutes a side. Take out and set aside. You can add other meat like meatballs or sauseage too. Prepare your favor homemade pasta sauce and add the doves back in for the required simmer time (at least an hour on low).

Serve over pasta and the meat should fall off of the breast bone.

Good eats and good memories.

CO Brit