FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Wild Game Recipes

PHEASANT PATTIES. (Wonderful!)

De-bone the pheasant. Grind in food processor or blender, removing any tendons that come to the surface. You can than mix in an egg and bread or cracker crumbs, but I usually don't. Make into patties (they will be very, very soft). Dip in flour, than in beaten egg and last in crackers crumbs.  Fry in butter.  Serve with either a bernaise sauce or a light mustard sauce.  I usually make a mustard sauce. You can use a bernaise type base with mustard or yogurt or sour cream mixed with a little lemon juice and mustard. An apricot jam and mustard mix go well also.

Rusty_Setter

Pheasant Pot Pie

Pre made Pie crust (top and bottom)

Butter

1 3/4 cup cooked pheasant

1 bag of frozen stew veggies

1 pkg of chicken gravy

1 cup of frozen peas (optional)

Cook pheasant in skillet with olive oil until almost fully cooked.  Set aside when cooked.

Cook stew veggies as directed on package.  I use the microwave method.  If you are adding peas - cook as directed.  Set veggies aside.

Prepare chicken gravy as directed in saucepan.  Simmer while adding veggies and pheasant to the gravy.

In 9 inch pie plate - rub butter on pie plate prior to forming the crust.  Fill crust with pheasant and veggie mixture that is in the gravy.  As directed - top with second pie crust.  Cover edge of pie crust with foil (you may want to consult the war department on the art of working with a pie crust.)

Put pie in preheated 350* oven until 1) top of pie starts to brown 2) gravy begins to bubble out of slits in top pie crust.  Roughly 30 min.

Enjoy!

Rusty_Setter
Ken - Denise and I had your pheasant patties last night with bernaise sauce - AWESOME!!  Highly recommend them to anyone.

Brad Eden

Gleaned from an old post I deleted-from CREEK

I am no chef , but I have tried countless of recipes on the game that sometimes accumulates in my freezer. I don't take more than I need , but after 3 months of heavy hunting ; deer, turkeys , grouse , and pheasants can start to pile up. Over the years I have found some great recipes that have become my favorites , but I still like to try something new every once in a while.Here is my favorite grouse recipe:

4 grouse breasts boned and cut in half

2 red peppers cut into wedges

1 large mayan onion cut into wedges

olive oil

salt

pepper

ground red pepper (if you like)

ground thyme

Sprinkle salt ,black pepper , and red pepper lightly on grouse breasts. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to frying pan on medium heat .  Braise grouse breasts (2 minutes per side) in frying pan . Remove breasts into baking dish. Add more olive oil , red peppers and onions to frying pan on medium heat and add a dash of salt, pepper, and ground thyme . Fry these for 3 to 5 minutes then add to baking dish , packing between grouse breasts. Bake in oven , preheated to 350 degrees , for twenty minutes. Serve over white rice with favorite wine or cheap beer.

Pretty simple , but tastes great. Don't over cook it because the breasts can dry out pretty quickly. Does any one else have a favorite grouse recipe?

Always Hungry,

Creek  

BillyBoy

Grouse with apples, especially wild ones, is a natural. Here is my standard grouse recipe, Adapted from Food & Wine, March 1990

Grouse with Fried Apples and Calvados Cream

4 grouse, halved

salt and freshly ground pepper (coarse)

4 Tbsp butter

4 large apples, peeled and diced (3/4 inch)

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1/2 cup Calvados or other apple brandy

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

cinnamon

allspice

Season grouse halves with cinnamon, allspice, salt, pepper

Melt 2 Tbsp butter on med high and brown grouse halves with a weight, such as a cast iron frying pan, on top of them. (This helps seal in juices/moisture) Fry until done, turning. (sorry no time. I just go by feel) Remove from heat and reserve.

In the same pan, melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter on med high and brown apples. Add brown sugar and 1/4 cup Calvados. Increase heat to high and cook, tossing, another 2 min.

Reduce heat to med high. Add cream and remaining 1/4 cup Calvados. Cook approx. 4 min until sauce coats back of spoon. Spice to taste with cinnamon and allspice.

Ladle sauce over grouse halves.

For a more appley flavor, substitute cider for Calvados.

Cooking quail or any bird...even chicken.

Mix 1/3 bourbon 1/3 oil 1/3 soy sauce.

also, pepper and garlic meat throughly.

Let set for 30 mins. cook on grill and baste with left over mixture.  Don't over cook bird.

Rusty_Setter

This was a dynamite dish that I just made this past weekend.

PHEASANT IN RED WINE ROUX

¼ Cup Brandy

¾ Cup Red Wine

2 Pheasants – cut into serving size pieces

Flour

Olive oil

¼ tbsp Marjoram

¼ tbsp Rosemary

¼ tbsp Basil

2 tbsp butter

½ cup chicken stock

1 tbsp granulated beef broth

½ lb baby bella mushrooms – sliced

1 small onion - sliced

Clean pheasant – brown in large heavy skillet by dredging pheasant pieces in flour and browning in hot olive oil (or butter if preferred.)  Once all pieces have been browned and remain in skillet – remove from heat, pour warm brandy over pheasant pieces and flame by igniting.  Set aside.

In sauté pan – sauté onions and mushrooms in olive oil.  Add to pheasant.

In separate medium size sauce pan – make a red wine roux.  Melt butter – stir in flour until milky – DO NOT BURN.  Add Marjoram, Rosemary, Basil, Chicken stock, granulated beef broth and red wine.  Bring roux to a boil.  Once it has boiled to desired consistency, pour over pheasant.

Cover the skillet with pheasant and sauce leaving a slight crack for ventilation.  Cook for roughly two hours on stove top over low heat – or until fork tender.