FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Wild Game Recipes

Brad Eden

Oh, no I got to thinking again!

I want to make a new permanent page/link to the Upland Journal website. A page where anyone can go and find wild game recipes. They can be for birds , big game, condiments, side dishes etc, etc. After we compile enough I will create a "button Link" for the UJ Home page, BB page and others which when clicked will give the viewer a permanent record of recipes.

I know there are a few recipes somewhere in back pages of the BB and I'll look for some of those but in the meantime post yours here and be as specific as possible and indicate whether you wish to remain anonymous on the permanent recipe page.

Thanks!

Brad

Ben Hong
Brad, this is a good idea. I tried 3 times in the past 2 days to post some favourite game recipes, to no avail. No fault of the computer or anything else, but I don't usually cook by recipes, only by taste and the materials at hand. So, because of the potential for some nasty messages heaved my way because of inaccurate measurements,  I will refrain from posting any "recipes". However, if people want to ask advice, pm me and I will give them some ideas. This is in no way meant to be arrogant or supercilious :O, only trying to help.

C'mon, Ben, nothing wrong with using a little "Kentucky windage" in our recipes!  Here's a favorite for pheasant in the Maloney household, with absolutely no measurements whatsoever; just use your own judgment:

Pheasant Cassis.

Ingredients:

de-boned pheasant breasts and thighs

Old Bay seasoning

flour

butter

olive oil

good French creme de cassis (black currant liqueur)

chablis or sauvignon blanc

Cut the breasts into strips about 1" wide, the thighs into 1" chunks.

Mix about 1 part Old Bay seasoning to 3 parts flour and dredge the pheasant pieces thoroughly.

Put a walloping dose of butter and olive oil in a pan over high heat.  Brown the pheasant pieces quickly (only a few minutes).  Put the thigh pieces in first, as they take a bit longer to cook.

When meat is lightlybrowned, turn the heat low.  

Pour creme de cassis generously over the meat, to mix with the oil/butter.  Simmer, turning the meat to glaze it with the mixture.  The meat should not be overcooked!  I prefer it on the rare side, with the center of the meat still slightly pink.  Cut through a piece to check as it simmers.

Remove meat from the pan, pour in white wine to deglaze pan and mix with cassis and oil/butter to form a sauce.  Use the sauce over white rice as a side dish.  Serve with green vegetables and what's left of the wine.

Too many pheasant recipes call for marinating or stewing it to death, and folks complain about the meat being 'dry.'  IMHO, game birds should always be cooked hot and fast to seal in moisture and preserve flavor.  You'll find this recipe is quick (less than 15 minutes) and results in a tender, moist and delicious treat!   :D

Rex Hoppie

Baked Grouse

6 oz box of Long Grain and Wild Rice, Uncle Ben's Original Recipe.

1 Can Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup, or Cream of Mushroom, or Cream of Celery. Campbells, all work equally well.  Check them all out to determine your favorite.

1 or 2 Grouse.

Add soup to 6 by 9 1/2 inch baking dish.  Add 1 1/2 cups water.  Distribute rice evenly over soup.  Distribute herb packet over rice (comes with the rice).  Mix lightly and arrange Grouse on top and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

This is a brute force easy as pie recipe and in this case casserole is not a bad word.  I have tried Campbells Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic and can't recommend using it.  I cut the breasts in half with cooking shears before baking but you don't have to.

Rex Hoppie

Cabin Corn Bread

2 - 8 1/2 oz boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

3 eggs

1 cup Sour Cream

8 T (one stick) Margerine

1 can Golden Cream Style Corn (Del Monte works)

Smear margerine on 9 1/2 by 13 inch baking dish and place in 350 degree oven to preheat and melt margerine.  Beat eggs in a bowl and combine with mix, creamed corn, and sour cream.  Pour batter in heated dish with melted margerine.  Cook in oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy around the edges.

This is a favorite at Four Bucks Hunt Camp, a great go with most anything, and is falling off a log easy.  I make it in two smaller pans (6 by 8?).  I have forgotten the sour cream on occasion and it is still great.  Also a stick of margerine is a lot of margerine and recipe seems to work OK with half as much or half a stick.

Don Steese
Jeez Jack, I just had a rather substantial lunch and now my mouth is watering again. Will try that one very soon. I'll contribute a couple within the next few days. I probably stole them from somewhere (most likely Bird Dog and Retriever News) but that's just good research, right? I can attest that anyone who gets any tips from Ben will be getting them from a master. Been there...devoured that! Hopefully, will again!

Rex Hoppie
Jack, Even Ben may not know what a "walloping dose" of butter and olive oil would be.

wcpeabody

One thing I have started to do is "brine" the birds.  I do this with most white meat if I have the time.  I think this process was much more common a few years ago when the commercial meat was not a "good".  I started doing this after joining cooksillustrated.com.  It is a great place to get info I highly reccomend joining.  It helps you understand why a recipe works not just the recipe. Here are some quotes from them about brining.  I will add a 2nd post that is a recipe that uses a brine

Bill

The Best Candidates for Brining

Lean and often mildly flavored meats with a tendency to overcook—such as chicken, turkey, and pork—are perfect candidates for brining, which leaves them plump and seasoned. Many types of seafood also take well to brining, especially when they are subjected to cooking methods that cause extreme moisture loss. For instance, we don’t brine salmon fillets before grilling (the fish has plenty of fat and flavor and won’t dry out if pulled from the grill when still translucent in the center). However, when grill-roasting a whole side of salmon, brining allows the fish to spend considerable time on the grill, picking up smoke flavor without becoming dry. Shrimp, which is extremely lean and often mushy, is another good choice for brining (the brine actually firms the shrimp).

Cornish Hen: whole, butterflied

Chicken: whole, parts, butterflied

Turkey: whole, breast, parts, butterflied

Pork:loin, tenderloin, chops, fresh ham

Seafood: whole side of salmon (when grill-roasting or smoking), shrimp

In contrast, beef and lamb do not benefit from brining. Unlike poultry and pork, these meats are generally eaten rare or medium-rare and are therefore cooked to a relatively low internal temperature. As a consequence, they do not lose as much of their natural moisture as poultry or pork, which are generally cooked to higher internal temperatures. Beef and lamb also contain more fat, which makes them more flavorful and helps to keep them moist. For many of the same reasons, gamier, fattier birds, such as duck and squab, don’t benefit from brining.

The Science of Brining

Brining boosts flavor and makes meat tender. But how?

Brining, which consists of soaking meat in a solution of water, salt, and often sugar, has a dramatic effect on meat of all kinds. It not only makes the meat more tender when cooked, it also boosts flavor. But how does this work?

Basically, brining relies on two principles. The first is osmosis, the phenomenon by which particles on one side of a semipermeable barrier can move through the barrier to the other side. The second principle is that nature likes equality.

What does this have to do with brining? When you put a turkey in a brine of water and salt, you have a very high concentration of water and salt molecules on one side of the skin, which is a semipermeable barrier. Because nature wants the amount of water and salt to be equal on both sides of the barrier, some of the salt molecules and some of the water molecules work their way into the turkey meat on the other side of the barrier. (The meat molecules are too large to move through the skin.) With a higher water content, the turkey stays more juicy when subjected to heat; with that salt right in the meat, the flavor of the turkey is amplified.

wcpeabody

You can sub any game bird you want but here is a recipe using cornish game hens to try it out.  If you use wild birds I would be very careful about overcooking the meat.  I might even cook the veggies some before adding the birds.  Plus the bird should have its skin.  I have used this with game hens, grouse and pheasant.  

Note - this brine does not have any sugar.  That is becuase the cooking is being done at such a high temp it would burn

BTW - This is my own recipe I just made it up one day.  Feel free to pass it along

ROASTED CORNISH HENS with pan gravy

Serves 4

1 cup kosher or 1/2 cup table salt

2 Cornish hens, (each less than 1 1/2 pounds if possible), trimmed of extra fat, giblets removed, rinsed well

1 yellow onion - rough choped

1 bulb garlic – peel cloves

1 red bell pepper – rough chopped

2 large potatoes – chop in to “jo-jo” size pieces

some mixed vegetables

¼ to ½ cup olive oil

½ to 1 cup chicken broth

¼ cup flour

2 tbl spoons of butter.

1. Dissolve salt in 2.5 quarts cold water in small clean bucket or large bowl (you can add additional spices or different liquids to add flavors just becareful of the sugar content). Split and add hens’ breast side down; refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. Remove, rinse thoroughly, and pat dry.  

2. Adjust oven rack to an upper position and heat oven to 500 degrees

3. Add oil and seasoning (to taste I use Lowry’s, black pepper and garlic salt) to a plastic bag.   Lightly coat birds and onion, garlic, potato’s vegetables in oil in the plastic bag.  Spread meat and veggies across a large broiler or roasting pan.  This should not be more then one layer deep use more then one pan if needed.

4. Put pan(s) in oven and turn oven down to 450*.

5. In a small bowl “nuke” butter until melted.  Add flour and mix to a paste, this should be thicker then peanut butter add butter or flour as needed.

6. Roast until birds are brown registers 160 degrees or so, for the full kick of the gravy the veggies need to be cooked almost to mush.  The potatoes and onions will probably be the only thing edible from the veggies and some of the veggies will be burned to the bottom of the pan. This will probably take about 45 minutes. Remove birds from oven and transfer birds and veg to a large serving plate and loosely cover with foil.

7. Set roasting pan over 1 or 2 burners set to medium.  Add chicken broth and “deglaze” (cook off all of the stuff stuck to the pan) the pan.  Once you have the pan is deglazed add flour mixture to thicken.  Just do this a little at a time thicken to taste. Once thick add gravy to bowl and you are ready to go

HUNTING CAMP MEATBALLS

1 pound ground antelope, deer, or elk meat.

½ pound pork sausage

½ cup bread crumbs or mashed potatoes

½ teaspoon flour

1 egg

½ cup coffee cream

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

½ teaspoon allspice

½ finely chopped small onion

Mix thoroughly with the game meat and sausage. Form into golf ball size meatballs, and brown in a Dutch oven or covered skillet in a small amount of hot fat. Cover and simmer about half an hour. Gravy can be made of the drippings if desired. There just isn’t any better meatball recipe than this one!

Ken Kauffman

rosies dad
:O  Great, I love this site. My favorite woodcock recipie is to fillet the breast meat, take the two little fillets and fry in oil and season while frying liberally with garlic salt. Dont tell many friends, lots of guys dont like to eat em. I use em for nibbles as the days of taking 5 woodcock are long distant memories.  These have to be a little rare and eat em HOT. Bon appitiet....

My favorite woodcock recipie is to fillet the breast meat, take the two little fillets and fry in oil and season while frying liberally with garlic salt...These have to be a little rare and eat em HOT.

Just about the same as my favorite, but I fry up some good thick bacon first, then toss the 'cock' breasts into the bacon grease with a few sliced garlic buds.  And you're absolutely right about cooking 'em hot and fast so they're rare inside!  Wrap the breasts in the bacon -- Mmmmmmm! :D

Brad Eden

Same theme. . .

My favorite wildgame appetizer:

Breast out several Woodcock and cut the breasts in thirds. Wrap each piece in half a strip of bacon. Heat up a George Foreman Lean Mean Grilling Machine. (can broil in oven too). Broil til bacon is just getting crispy. Put toothpick in each piece and serve. Broil the delicious little white meat legs too.

grousehunter 61

This is one of my favorites,

Cut 2 lbs venison into serving size pieces

mix 1/4 cup flour with 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste

cover venison with flour mixture and place in hot skillet with bacon fat.

add celery ( cut up ) and sliced onion,and brown.

add 1 tsp worestershire sauce and 2 cups of tomatoes and cook covered, about 1 hr untill tender.

cook noodles, drain and serve with the venison, we put the venison over the noodles.

Brad Eden

Simple Venison Meatloaf:

Ingredients;

• 2 packages (about 1.5-2 lb's)venison burger

(You can add ground pork, so its 2/3 venison + 1/3 pork-really compliments the venison burger)

• 2-3 cloves of garlic

• 2-small or 1 medium onion

• Salt/Pepper

• 1 egg

• 1/2 cup or so of Italian breadcrumbs

• Couple splashes of milk (3-4 tablespoons?)

• Grated sharp cheddar cheese

Mix burger thoroughly with bread crumbs, egg, milk, salt & pepper , minced garlic and finely chopped onion.

Press into bread baking pan. Create a valley lengthwise to center of loaf. Sprinkle in a good fistfull or two of sharp cheddar cheese. Close top of meat over cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees covered with tin foil for 45 minutes. Take off foil and bake for another 1/2 hour, (total baking time 1-1 1/2 hours depending on size of Meatloaf)

Best served with mashed potatoes and freshly sliced tomatoes.

Same recipe can be used to make meatballs.