• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
bosco mctavitch

purple cows

Cooter Brown
Wow, havent been here in a while and lo and behold this old thread popped up!  It's an interesting  read five years later.  Looking through the photos, it seems clear that many people never really understood what I meant.This guy has this to say: "MAY WE REMIND...English 2 1/2" 12bore game guns are light, trim and well balanced, avaeraging 6 1/2 lb.  they are more akin to Yankee 16's and 20's than they are to our 12-bores as to gun weight, shot charge... balance and feel in the hands...they are diminutively responsive."

Although guns with pistol grips of any sort, single triggers, and enough heft to really shoot well are far more common in O/U's than the above traits and may very well be preferable for a great majority of shooters for both game and clay, as the self-decreed arbiter of all things purple cow any of those things automatically disqualifies a gun from being in the "game gun configuration" (straight stock, double triggers, light for gauge as in nearly all traditional brit sxs game guns, as opposed to pigeon guns, etc), and therefore they cannot qualify as purple cows.  Those luscious beretta asel's a page or two back?  Purple cows. A belgian browning 20ga superposed?  Most definitively NOT a purple cow without the above-mentioned traits, no matter how great a gun it is.  I know this may be cause for an existential crisis for a few, but I felt it better to be honest.

Carry on.

I have missed your brilliant effusions, Bosco.

Iver

What cooter said... but had to look up what effusions meant.  

(Also, I trust cooter was not referring to the smell part of the definition)

Tim Frazier

My favorite "purple cow" is just barely one as the grip is not straight and it is single trigger.  It is however lighter and better balanced than most 20g o/u (5lbs 10oz and balances just past the hinge pin).  Not a difficult gun to shoot well, for me at least.  Most fascinating to me is the realization that there will likely never again be an O/U 20ga available by any manufacture at any cost like this gun.  (all steel sub 6lbs)

I owe Dave as well for it's grace and making the most out of very blonde wood.

gray2.jpg

Dave Erickson

I converted a 12 ga. Beretta 686 Oynx into a ribless design a few years ago. In the end I didn't like it and had a solid rib installed. I also put it back to the sst-trigger, but kept the large trigger guard. It's a nice all round 12 and has accounted for many roosters, and it's a fun sporting clays gun with 7/8 oz loads.

Jg1vwi.jpg

3ep5.jpg

The German's have been making purple-cows for a long time. Here's a Merkel 200E marketed to the French in 1933. It's a 6 1/4 pound 12 gauge.

1LEPpf.jpg

caleb

What did you dislike about the Boss rib?

SelbyLowndes

Lots of good advice regarding new guns.  But for a pheasant gun, I'd consider a Fox or Parker gun with 30" barrels which, if still choked full, I'd open to Mod and Imp Mod.  And some of them are even 100 years old already...SelbyLowndes

lee sykes
21 minutes ago, caleb said:

Probably that it's not on a Boss for starters. :) 

lee sykes

I have never had an o/u with double triggers but it was of no concern to me as I have never been without a sxs with double triggers.  I had A Savage model 444 o/u in 12 gauge that weighed 6 lbs, 10 oz.  I removed the pistol grip, myself. It had an alloy frame and the metal finish was actually slightly purple.  It was made in Italy by Fabarm around 68-72.  It fit me perfectly but wore me down with it's lack of aesthetic appeal.  It was a killer though.  I know. not a purple cow.  I have never had a 20 gauge that weighed less than 6 lbs and I would not care to own one that was.  Same goes for 16, only more so.  So I guess a purple cow is something I can live without.  Saying that, I do like the look and feel of an o/u with a straight grip.  I haven't owned one in a good while (30 years)  so I jumped at the chance to order my new Revelation that way.  I must admit that if double triggers was an option on the revelation, it would have been my first purple cow and it would certainly qualify at 6 lbs with 28" barrels and straight grip.  I like the look of Dave's Merkel very much.  I like what Dave did with the Onyx too 

Dave Erickson
On 5/5/2018 at 1:01 PM, caleb said:

Just getting back to this. The sight picture on my rib-less Beretta was just 'incomplete" for lack of a better term. My eyes/brain rely the subliminal data from a rib on an O/U, (and the rib gutters on a SxS) more than I realized. The balance didn't come out favorably either. The solid rib and extra weight up front put everything right again with the gun. 

lee sykes

I remember we talked a lot about this gun.  Nice project.