FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ScottGrush

20 ga. ruff hunters

ScottGrush

Am trying to procure a new to me 20ga. O/U for my next great grouse(ruffed Greg  :D ) gun.

What factory shotshells are you 20 ga. grousers using?

I have heard some rumblings about these so called baby magnums and know some guys using them for ruffs, basically shoving a 12 ga. payload thru 20 ga. tubes. Any thoughts?

WPG Gizmo

B&P is what I was using in my 20Ga when I had one and they are what I use in my 28Ga now.

7.5 or 8 work great no need to get crazy with a load just use 3/4 to 1 oz and you are fine

Rex Hoppie
Yellow ones.

WindyHills

Yes, yellow is best I've found.  

I have a few blue boxes (federal I think) and found some reasonably cheap yellow boxes (fiocchi) that I have been using for a few years with some success.

Phred

I would rather use a 20 gauge payload in  a 12 gauge tube than be the other way around.  B & P 7 1/2 or 8's aren generally what I shoot at grouse.

Phred

Jim McCann

I use mostly Kent upland 20s in 7 1/2, but lately I've found a few flats of Win AA 7 1/2 loads I felt I just had to have.

Jim

12ette
Shoot mostly, Gamebore 2.5"  7/8oz.

caleb

I think I used five boxes of Rio Game Loads with 1oz of #8s this fall.  They worked well, but the powder burned dirty and they smelled a little funny.

Later in the season I used a couple boxes of the B&P Legend loads with an ounce of plated  7.5 shot.  The recoil was noticeably greater than the Rios, but they smelled better and burned more cleanly.

They were of course all yellow, so they worked well.

DennisMcFeely
Am trying to procure a new to me 20ga. O/U

What are you after?

Skybuster
I use factory loads; Federal w/#7.5.  I ran out of my usual 1oz loads 1165 fps, and finished the season with 7/8 oz.  I think the Federal quality and 7/8 oz is enough for grouse given the average range those birds are taken.

fourtrax57

In a 20 ga. I use trap loads in either 7 1/2 or 8 shot.

A grouse can be hard to hit, but they are easy to bring down

if any pellets are delivered to the desired target.

Trap loads are designed to pattern well. 7 1/2 or 8 is enough for Ruffs. Winchester AA would be a good start.

Cheaper trap loads work fine as well. If you are shooting a

20 ga. I would be more concerned about even patterns / right choke tube selection. #6 shot provides a little more shot size & still has a decent enough # of pellets to give some hope of a decent pattern. Try some loads & choke combos on the patterning board to see what you like. It does not hurt to know the shotgun shoots where it is pointed either. I have had a couple sxs over the years that did not have good barrel regulation (shot off target on the pattern board).

Have fun & good luck.

PartridgeCartridge

Is this actually a "whats the best load for grouse" thread?

Lord help us.

rosies dad

For a dedicated grouser like you, I would be looking at a 16ga Rizini O/U or better yet a 16ga Sterlingworth.   Seriously, you got Setters, Grouse, and 16ga. It all belongs together.

Keep the 20ga for W.C.

Briarscratch
I shoot RST Lites - 7/8 oz. of 7.5s - because that's what I have a case of.   When I hit them, they die.

gunsrus
I shoot RST Lites - 7/8 oz. of 7.5s - because that's what I have a case of.   When I hit them, they die.

X2 and sometimes the 3/4 . Can't tell the diff unless I'm on the clays course .