2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ScottGrush

20 ga. ruff hunters

Peterson
I've heard you need a bb load for late season birds.

PartridgeCartridge
.22lr  Less spray off the gravel and less damage to the evergreen limb. Head shots only, of course.  I find shotguns too noisey in the truck.

Finally, an honest Kanadian and clearly a student and disciple of the Ben Hong Shooting Academy.

ANF grousin
I've just reloaded a new batch of shells.  Since I cant hit a thing, I switched to clover seed.  Someone might as well eat good.

brymoore
Selling the BUL?

northern_hunting_mom

An old Yukoner friend uses a 30-06 when ground swatting. Aim about 2-3 feet in front of the bird and the spraying gravel takes off the head...... seriously. Never tried it myself though.

A brother-in-law used to catch grouse as a kid with Dixie paper cups. Nuts, seeds etc in the bottom and the inside wall coated with honey. The honey would stick to the feathers, grouse would sit there with a cup on its head waiting for anybody or thing to pick it up. Like any other type of trapping, he had to check his line often.

I bet those cups were yellow.

ScottGrush
Selling the BUL?

Hell No!

ScottGrush

Am trying to procure a new to me 20ga. O/U

What are you after?

That's top secret......will let you know in ten days or so.....some tint of purple......  :D

ScottGrush
I thought you were the 12 ga Bul guy? whatever shell you used in that should do it in a smaller package.

That is what prompts the query.

Have been shooting 1 1/8oz. of #7.5 shot Rem STS in the 12 gauge thru a cylinder tube with great results for a couple seasons now.

Would like to carry that mojo over into a break action 20 gauge.

Skybuster
No problem Scott... you can go another 1/8th with a 3" magnum 20ga!

Steelheadfred
I thought you were the 12 ga Bul guy? whatever shell you used in that should do it in a smaller package.

That is what prompts the query.

Have been shooting 1 1/8oz. of #7.5 shot Rem STS in the 12 gauge thru a cylinder tube with great results for a couple seasons now.

Would like to carry that mojo over into a break action 20 gauge.

Go to Sk1 and shoot the STS 1oz #7.5 Super Sporting Clays Load.

Scott, I have some fantastic 20 gauge loads that Forton got me a flat of. Remind me to give you a box next time I see you.

You won't be disapointed, Forton, like you and me, comes from the same school of thought.

Fritz

LostintheOzone

I can reload anything I want an generally use a very light 12ga (1oz) for grouse. But on occassion I use my 20ga.

I just buy standard 7/8 oz. loads. Whatever is cheap. The last several boxes were Estate which I think are Federal.

I have killed grouse with 2 pellets in the bird. So you might say they go down pretty easy.

It's not rocket surgery.

ScottGrush
No problem Scott... you can go another 1/8th with a 3" magnum 20ga!

The gun I am looking at is chambered for 3 inchers.

My best dog is not a retriever of any sort so I like to anchor birds where they fall.

I have shot plenty with 3/4 oz. in my old LCSmith 20 but do enjoy the ballistics of the 12gauge I have been carrying the past couple seasons. I do see a benefit to the big shot big payload over the course of a grouse season and just wondered if I could bring that with me in a 20 gauge.

Do you reload? If so, I agree on the bigger shot theory. I rarely spray them down with #8s anymore. I like 1oz. #7.5 1st...then 1 1/8oz. #7, though I have a bag of lawrence "Ultra magnum" (whatever the hell that is...it's really old shot) #7.5 that I have been using up since it was paid for 20 years ago.

I just duplicate the AA load with better and sometimes bigger shot.

Way back in the day, I was hunting dogless, (due to a premature death) and using a big 12 O/U. No lie, my second barrel was a turkey load of 1 5/8 copper/buffered  #6 Max loads. Hunting in light snowcover I dropped a grouse with that barrel so far out I almost didn't even go look for it. One of those deals where it was..... did it go down? naw. Well.... maybe? No... well I thought I saw a dip in it's flight...No way...maybe...better go back anyway. sure enough BIG dead bird.

ScottGrush

I do have a single stage old school lee load-all that I could press into duty(no pun intended) for a few boxes of hunting loads.

I found these rockets on my ammo shelf.

Think they'll work? 40 years young next opening day according to that hand written date.  :D

shotshellbox010.jpg

That will be fine for the first barrel...

However I suggest you step it up a bit for the second barrel.

remmyslug.jpg

:laugh: