• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
jbeck

2011 UJ Fly Swap Sign-Up

PartridgeCartridge

I'll just add my two cents. If you are going to do a swap, why not strive to create unique and unusual patterns that blend our hunting and fishing into vice art.

Think out of the box. Incorporate some non standard materials, like those found on your britt/lab/setter and blend them with wild gamebird plumage. I think you'll find that even crazy, new patterns will still catch fish.

For example.

This is tied with materials from a grouse hunt. The body is a porcupine quill, the tailing fibers are Draathar tail guard hairs and the hackle is from a ruffed grouse. Try to find usable dry fly hackle on a grouse sometime. Its almost impossible. Ruff hackle sucks for tying dries. But if you tinker with it a bit, it will work.

PC's PartridgePorkyPointer Fly:

P2040028-1.jpg

Just something to consider given our mixed interests in hunting and fishing.

LivermushBiscuit

If you're not coming out to play, friend-o, why must you taunt us with your brilliance?

On the other hand, tie up 20 of those creatures and join in.

For the record, the posts for the PA's I'm tying will come from the stuffing of a former fish-toy that was effectively "shot" when my Magdog got ahold of it.

john mcg

That is a cool fly. Nice touch with the Porky quill. I hate porkies, just hate 'em.

I've used a mix of setter hair for dubbing on some of my very first flies. It worked alright.

Make beads out of 7 1/2 shot

Wax thread with vest wax

Tube flies from woodcock bones

Woodcock makes nice soft hackles

cased caddis from grouse crop gravel (maybe that's a stretch)

Nah...I'll just stick with pheasant tails and grouse feathers

:)

braque du upstate

I'll just add my two cents. If you are going to do a swap, why not strive to create unique and unusual patterns that blend our hunting and fishing into vice art.

Think out of the box. Incorporate some non standard materials, like those found on your britt/lab/setter and blend them with wild gamebird plumage. I think you'll find that even crazy, new patterns will still catch fish.

For example.

This is tied with materials from a grouse hunt. The body is a porcupine quill, the tailing fibers are Draathar tail guard hairs and the hackle is from a ruffed grouse. Try to find usable dry fly hackle on a grouse sometime. Its almost impossible. Ruff hackle sucks for tying dries. But if you tinker with it a bit, it will work.

P2040028-1.jpg

fly will never work: DD fur is too aggressive ,and will intimidate elusive eastern trout. i can donate some exclusive imported french foo foo hair.

co_setter

For example.

P2040028-1.jpg

In all seriousness, I grabbed some quills this fall from a roadkilled Porky.  Do you have a recipe?

wkburns
Wade, what do you use the flies tied with pheasant for?................. Carp?

Setter *****.

BTW I am fine with tying more as well. I want to wait and choose a pattern until I am back from my AZ quail hunt if that is alright.

PartridgeCartridge

In all seriousness, I grabbed some quills this fall from a roadkilled Porky.  Do you have a recipe?

It is just a standard dry in terms of pattern.

Start with an appropriate sized Tiemco/Mustad/Partridge equivalent.

The quill prep can be done two ways. First you have to select either a light colored or dark colored quill depending on what you want to imitate. The cream quills will effectively immitate most of the summer sulphurs in the smaller sizes and even coffin flies in the larger sizes. The dark quills will match  hennies, Iso's and some of the Hex drakes.

Snip the sharp end of the quill and use a bodkin to ream out a small hole to insert tailing fibers. I use Zap-a-Gap to glue the tailing fibers in. If you spit on your finger before you insert the fibers, the gap won't stick to your fingers or the mess up the insertion.

Once the zap sets now you have to trim the quill to size for your hook size. Try to cut to get  2/3rds of the quill to extend beyond the shank bend.

Once you have trimmed to length, you can either crimp the quill flat on the attachment end or cut the quill with a razor so that it actually slips over the hook shank. I prefer to cut the quill as this makes for less bulk under the hackle and just makes for a nicer tie. You will need to put a drop of Zap on the cut end before you overwrap the quill to secure it to the shank. Don't forget to wet your fingers or you will glue them to the hook in this part when you make your pinch to secure the quill.

The partridge hackle is kinda tricky in that most ruff feathers have too much webbing to make good dry hackle. Feathers under the chin and on the top of the head will be stiff enough but you might have to use 3 or 4, cut short from the tip, to get the hackle density. Try spinning your hackle pliers when you make wraps and after a little fiddling you can actually make ruff hackle stand up.

Then its just a simple whip and cement job.

Hope that explains it.

PM me if you have any problems or need any more info.

jbeck

PC, you are truly a man of many talents!  Very cool looking porky-fly!

As an update to the swap, I've heard from a majority of the tiers, either through posting here or PM, that they are ok in increasing the number the of flies tied in order to accomodate more people in the swap.  Here's my plan: I'll keep the list, and update it accordingly as new people get added up to the cutoff date.  Then, we'll take how many people we have a know how many we need to tie.  Whatever the total is, we'll just add one for the donation to Brad.  

So, here is the new list:

Bead Head Pheasant Tail Nymph - jbeck

Brown stone nymph w/grouse hackle legs - Field Grade

Copper B/H or pheasant tail Klinkhammer - Escopeton

Tellico nymph - Wildbird

Grouse and Green - MV McDonald

BH Pheasant tail soft hackle - john mcg

LaFontaine's pheasant tail twist nymph - Cabresto

Parachute Adams variation - LivermushBiscuit

Hopper with a pheasant wing - co_setter

??? - wkburns

??? - lipripr

??? - FlyChamps

??? - Drummer's Stump

??? - MSchafer

Total flies as of now = 15 (14 + 1 for UJ)

MSchafer
Gartside Sparrow

Wildbird
Gartside Sparrow

I had not heard of this pattern. Great looking fly.

Can't remember if I mentioned it or not but my Tellico nymphs will be tied with pheasant tails from Kansas.

drummer's stump
my fly is a beaver pond brook trout killer called, I have no freaking clue what to call it. it is just something I dreamt up, but it work really well on brooks and cuts

jbeck

With a little less than 2 weeks remaining until the 1/22 cutoff, this is what we have:

Tellico nymph - Wildbird

Gartside Sparrow - MSchafer

Flaming Polish Anus - Drummer's Stump

??? - wkburns

??? - lipripr

??? - FlyChamps

Clint - I carried your creation's name forward for you.  :p

FlyChamps
Mine will be a local pattern - Wood Duck Emerger

jbeck

And here we are now:

Tellico nymph - Wildbird

Gartside Sparrow - MSchafer

Flaming Polish Anus - Drummer's Stump

Wood Duck Emerger - FlyChamps

Copperhead - lipripr

??? - wkburns

jbeck

Hi all,

We're down to the wire!  New registration closes tomorrow.  I am going to PM everyone my mailing address tonight.  We are each tying 15 flies as of right now.

wkburns - we still need to know what you are tying.

Thanks!

EDIT - I sent each person that signed up to participate a PM with my address.  If anyone on the list didn't get it, please let me know!