Sign in to follow this  

Hard Cider

While stopping for coffe on the way to work the magazine rack caught my eye.

BackWoodsman, I found a basic hard cider recipe.

1 gallon apple  cider

1 gram of yeast

1 galllon glass jug

1 airlock or loosely screwed on cap

Let it sit for 10 days and drink!

My cider has been cooking for 5 days and it is more fun to watch than a lava lamp!

I will post the results.

Your thoughts? :upside:

It will ferment much better and cleaner (and higher alcohol) if you use Brewer's Yeast (available at Home Brew Shops) than if you use baker's yeast.

chief
I read sometime ago that if you freeze the hard cider, draw off the alcohol you will have applejack.

Uplander
I read sometime ago that if you freeze the hard cider, draw off the alcohol you will have applejack.

Yep, Dear Ol’ Dad and a buddy of his used to do it with barrels of cider they stored in a barn back in the day….

------------------

There is an old New England saying to the effect that if you give a man a shotgun, a bird dog, and a violin, he won’t amount to a damn.

**William Harnden Foster**

jmooney

I read that same article and will be trying this soon.  I've always wanted to make my own ever since the first time I had some homemade hard cider.  A guy I know makes his own and ferments it in old Jack Daniels barrels.    We went to his daughter's wedding and they used it for the toast and had bottles of it available for the asking at the end of the night.  I got two and only have one remaining and I'm saving it for the holidays.

Jim

Chris Raymond

Just be careful with whom you share that information if you choose to do it.  Penalties are the same as distillation.

jmooney,

I work in bethlehem and would love to share a mason jar or 2 when it is ready.

Mountain<><

jmooney
jmooney,

I work in bethlehem and would love to share a mason jar or 2 when it is ready.

Mountain<><

I'll keep ya in mind bud.

Jim

Well, the bubbles have stopped so I tried some of my cider.  Then I tried some more. This stuff is real good.

:D

Mountain<><

J. Sappington

After reading the post, I picked up the mag also. I got mine going last night. My question is what type of juice did you use? I just got a gallon of "pasturized" fresh cider from a local orchard. How long was it before the bubbles started? I had a few this morning. I'm thinkit it should be going by tonight..I also picked up some wine sweetener and the yeast from a local wine and beer brewing place. They told me if I added sugar to sweeten after everything stopped,  it would fire back up. This wine sweetener has potasium something it in to deactivte the yeast and make it sweet. Just something I learned and thought i'd pass it on....

Jim

jmooney
Well, the bubbles have stopped so I tried some of my cider.  Then I tried some more. This stuff is real good.

:D

Mountain<><

Awesome, glad to hear it's workin' I'm gonna start my batch this week.

Jim

I used real apple cider that was pasturized. The recipe I found called for the yellow apple cider in the groecery store. it should start doing its thing in 24 hours.

I drank my 1 gallon at 10 days and still have a 3gallon going.

the 1 gallon tasted great, cold or warm. They say the older the better.

That mag is great!

I love doing things the old way!

mountain<><

Russell
Is there any problem if you used unpasterized cider? Do you have to keep it in a dark area or does it matter?

The thing to watch out for is potasium sorbate and other extra stuff. It kills the yeast. I left mine right on the kitchen floor out of direct sunlight.

The simplicity is amazing!

the 1st batch was so good I am tryinge some cran/blueberry juice.  I stuck the rubber stopper and the airlock right in the container it came in, put in the wine yeast and I hope it is ready for our Christmas Celebration. If not ice fishing and winter camping is right around the corner.

Mountain<><