FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Hard Cider

welshie_man
If you want an extra "kick" to it, add in a couple pounds of honey.

Jay

It's funny, over here it's not called cider until it's fermented.

Otherwise it's just apple juice!

I used to make it quite a lot when I was about 17-20 something.

I've been meaning to build a small press to make juice for years.

Collected most of the parts at one point but never got around to it.

Might have another go this year.

Jay

J. Sappington

The only issue I was "really" worried about was my Cider from the orchard said keep refigerated. I just kept it in the basement where it's cool.....the regular apple juice in the article .99 cents is already room temp. Any thoughts? Or drink it and if it's good drink some more!! hahaha

Jim

crackerd
It's funny, over here it's not called cider until it's fermented.

Otherwise it's just apple juice!

Jay, the sad part is *over here* we can't get what you've got over there but by special order. Bulmer's exports, so I got a couple cases of Woodpecker (not the best or even the best of the rest), but what about scrumpy? Not a prayer for getting it here. The domestic derivative Woodchuck ain't all bad, especially the Granny Smith draught, but it's going to take another decade or so before cider hits stride here. I take heart in the fact that US (loose) tea consumption is said to have increased tenfold in the last 15 years.

MG

sxsneubaum

I have a hell of a time finding non-pasteurized cider.  

Wait I just read some other posts.  I can use pasteurized cider for this?

Adams

Its not the pasteurization that you need to be concerned about, its the additives. As others noted, because they can kill the yeast you add, and you won't have any fermentation.

I usually brew a batch of cider in the fall.  I was too busy this year, and didn't get any into the fermenter.

Adams

Cider is the drink of uplander hunters!

I got my 3 gallon batch bottled in "grolsch" type bottles and  boy it is great.

I am  typing on 3 glasses.  Wow !!!!! :upside:

This is a real nice drink.

Just make some you will be shocked on how easy and great it is!

I spoke to the beer making store guy who is a scientist and he made the comment. "Its not that hard, they have been making it for ever"!

All I need to learn is better trapping , bee keeping and tanning then I am out of this rat race. To the mountains we go. Gracie the brit, Cb the pretty wife, and mountain the young guy with a full beard now that I bought the glass jug, airlock; and bottles. My home brew is about 6 dollars per 3 gallons.

Mountain<>><

BillyBoy

Mountain, Hold a few bottles for at least 6 months and see if it doesn't improve. It should mellow quite a bit.

Also, try making a batch with champagne yeast. Ferment to dryness then charge with some extra sugar. (Make sure not too much - bottles can explode) Makes a nice sparkling cider. Great on a hot summer day. My fave with pork, too. Not to mention grouse.

Sappington, no need to worry about refridgeration after it's fermented. That's what the alcohol is for.

They make some great cider and other apple products in Quebec. A coworker just brought me back some pomme de glace (apple ice wine). Excellent stuff. check this out:http://www.canadatravel.ca/sojourner/2005/06/quebecs-cider-route.html Unfortunately, we don't (can't?) import it. Starting to make it here, too. There's one cidery in the Finger Lakes now. They make some nice stuff, both still and sparkling styles. Different than the "six-pack" ciders like Woodchcuk. Told me they were planning to buy a still and make a "calvados", too. Can't wait.

Applejack is potentially dangerous stuff. Making applejack in the home is illegal.

spinfly

There's one cidery in the Finger Lakes now. They make some nice stuff, both still and sparkling styles.

Can you give me some more info on this? Interested in checking them out. Thanks.

Crayborn

Hate to dig up a old post but my cider was started this afternoon while at home waiting for Ida to hit. Its November and we have a storm...wow

Chuck

12ette

I love cider.  

I use 1lb dark brown sugar per gallon of fresh pressed juice and ale yeast to give me a mid-sweet 10% abv.  I am racking this week.  

Also have mead and melomel and a braggot working.

wkburns
Thanks for digging this up! I am going to try this.

Wisconsin

Just put up a batch scheduled to "cure" on December 20th, the day my son, Erik(RI) gets home for Xmas.

Thanks Mountain, for sharing the "recipe".  Got brewers yeast from a local micro-brewery, who recomended champagne yeast for maximum alchohol content  :oops:

Happy Holidays!

jmooney
I think I'm gonna have to try a quick batch for Christmas.  I have a Mr. Beer and I think I might make him into a Mr. Cider....