Sign in to follow this  

Hard Cider

Spin

Millers, How's the first hard cider attempt going?

Spin

millerperch
Well just got it set up yesterday so it's just chilling in the dark closet. Any pointers for me? I was just planning on checking it in a couple days.

tmoneysju
today was day 8 for my first batch of cider.  I removed it from the glass jug, cleaned out all of the sediment, and poured it back in per the instructions of my local brew your own beer store owner.  It's now back in the jug up in my office in a dark corner for a few weeks to a month.  I did sneak a taste and although it wasn't bad, it was somewhat bitter (I think that's the right word to describe it).  We'll see how it adjusts over time.

12ette

Time is on your side with cider.  The flavor at racking is very different from what will show in the end.  

Cider is typically a 2 month project.  

I am officially out of cider and nearly out of Melomel.  Ugh these were ugly times this last month or so.

The cidery I buy from lost their entire batch of golden russets, so I am stuck until next fall, unless I want to use blended juice. :(

tmoneysju
was in Trader Joe's the other day buying some flowers for the wife and stumbled across their cider.  Needless to say I have another gallon fermenting now using brown sugar.  The color difference is amazing.

PartridgeCartridge
was in Trader Joe's the other day buying some flowers for the wife and stumbled across their cider.  

Boozer. How come I have never had even a taste of this?

tmoneysju
was in Trader Joe's the other day buying some flowers for the wife and stumbled across their cider.  

Boozer. How come I have never had even a taste of this?

what have you ever done for me??   :D  :D

it's not done yet, thats why

millerperch
Okay I'm just watching the Jets/Colts game...just checked on my cider after day 7 in the closet. Is it bad that I poured a small glass and am enjoying it right now? It actually tastes pretty good with the extra brown sugar I added right away.

tmoneysju
Okay I'm just watching the Jets/Colts game...just checked on my cider after day 7 in the closet. Is it bad that I poured a small glass and am enjoying it right now? It actually tastes pretty good with the extra brown sugar I added right away.

not at all! I siphoned off a glass from my first batch and look forward to doing the same with the brown sugar batch.

MAArcher
Anybody know what happens if you put twice as mutch yeast in?

Spin

Fermentation time will be shorter and then as alcohol level reaches a certain point the yeast will shut down. It's still there

but it has become inactive and getting rid of it can be a pain.

My friend when he was just starting out with brewing and home wine making really screwed up with Both Sugar and Yeast, way to much. He said the fermentation lock on the 5 gal. carboy sounded like an M60 machinegun for about a solid week.

Spin :D

12ette
Anybody know what happens if you put twice as mutch yeast in?

You may end up with the taste and smell of yeast in each glass.

You are better off with less.  Yeast will multiply until they are comfortable with their numbers.  If you want more alcohol, use more sugar and a champaign yeast.

MAArcher

If you've used too much, is there a way to correct it?  Can I filter it during fermentation or add more cider?

Thanks

12ette
If you've used too much, is there a way to correct it?  Can I filter it during fermentation or add more cider?

Thanks

When you rack, use a filter but not too fine I use a stocking on the end of the racking cane or the hose (depends on what I racking to/from). This will help some.

I would also suggest topping off with more juice.

Spin

I was looking over the Apple Cider at Wally World the other day and check the cabinet and sure enough there's

almost a full pound of raisins in there. Might buy some brown sugar and a gallon of cider, I've already got the yeast. I'm most likely going to need it I've been blowing through the wild grape wine plenty fast.

Spin