FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Russell

Steak

Russell
I know a good steak can largely be a result in how the animal was raised but when you go to the butcher looking for steaks, what cut do you look at first? What would you consider your best bang for your buck?

brueggemanns
Ribeye for flavor, filet mignon for tenderness.  Aged and prime cuts.

HazelNut

I look at the ribeyes first and then make my way over to the strips or porters.

Kevin

Ben Hong
Ribeye, strip loin, if I were to eat it as a "steak", that is my own individual piece. If the meat was to be sliced before serving, then a 2 inch cut of sirloin can't be beat. If I can get it, then the meat should be dry aged.

Iver
If i am thinking of the Grill, i find it hard to walk by the 2" T-bones.

Spin

Give me a nice juicy porterhouse med. rare please.

Spin

NW-Gsp

Ribeye, take the steaks and sprinkle some pepper and johnny's seasoning salt, let them set out till they are at room temp.

heat a cast iron skillet in the oven at 500 then take it out of the oven and put it on the stove top burner set on high,

cook the steaks for a minute and a half on each side then put them in the oven with the skillet for three minutes each side.

let them sit for ten minutes then dig in!

12ette

As a personal favorite, I like the porterhouse.  A good iron cooked ribeye is nice too.

For family and guests, hard to beat a flank steak sliced on the bias.

I like to keep it simple, a Tuscan style steak.  Coat in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and a sprig of rosemary.  Let this sit out all day.  Then grill @700f, or pan sear in a pan that flashes oil.  Hot and fast.  

But, I like pork best.

Ben Hong
pan sear in a pan that flashes oil.  Hot and fast.  

But, I like pork best.

My preference of meats: pork, lamb, and beef- in the order written

Given a choice between a thick cut loin pork chop or any beef steak, I'd chose pork any old day - hot iron pan fried of course. Maybe pre-seasoned with salt and coarse ground black pepper and maybe a few bits of fresh garlic.

Hub
I eat Ribeye more than any other steak.  It's the grillers steak.  I'll take a lesser cut from a good animal that's been dry aged though.  A couple times a year my appetite is more than a Ribeye can handle...in those instances I go porterhouse....or double porterhouse.

Peterson

I like new york strips when I cook them at home, usually seered at whatever max heat I can manage with my cast iron pan.  

I'm also a big fan of flank steak, again seered at extremely high heat for a very short time, cut a a 45* angle across the grain and it's pretty tender.

When we go out to eat and I feel like a steak, I usually go with a ribeye. However my last experience with a steakhouse in a certain northern MN town that starts with E and ends with Y, proved to me that you can screw up a ribeye.

Kansas Big Dog
KC strip man, grilled over wild cherry med rare.  Not quite as tasty as rib eye, but not as fat either.

12ette

Did a pork steak last night, mmmmmm.

Mustard Oil, salt, pepper and let it sit all day.  Seared hot and fast... served with roast celery root.  

Ben, I'm with ya, pork, lamb/mutton, beef.  If I knew where to find it I would put horse 1 or 2.

Wildbird
Ribeye. My mouth is watering.

Fur and Feathers
Done right a NY Strip on the rarer side.