2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Peent

Pork on the Weber

Peent
Hub, can I go out on the pontoon with one of those cordless thermometers?  what kind of range do they have?  I am going with your rub ( I have all the ingredients already).  Looking forward to it, will post some photos as the thing progresses.

Iver

Just pulled this off the grill, 10 hours on a SJG (baby weber)

I am settling in to some unicorn/naked women beer and pulled pork to say Happy Birthday Canada!!!

IMG_4097.JPG

Boston butt,which is pork shoulder cant beat pulled pork,depends on the size can take hours to cook. I have a clean spray bottle close when I am doing mine filled with water & vinegar mix to give the pork a spray every 10 min or so really makes the meat tender. You will sure have enough time for a few beers.

Model 31

Hub

Hub, can I go out on the pontoon with one of those cordless thermometers?

Mine works at my neighbors house, but that's as far away as I've tried it.  I've had about 3 of them and first couple conked out and quit working and I had sworn them off.  My wife got me the weber model and it's been working great for 5 years or so.

41ImJwvMBbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Peent
Do you just put the probe in the grill or inside the meat itself?  Seems to me if I want the grill temp to be around 275 or so, I wouldn't insert into meat, maybe later on to see if it is done or not.

Ben Hong
Boston butt,which is pork shoulder cant beat pulled pork,depends on the size can take hours to cook. I have a clean spray bottle close when I am doing mine filled with water & vinegar mix to give the pork a spray every 10 min or so really makes the meat tender. You will sure have enough time for a few beers.

Model 31

Not to question your culinary prowess but I am of the belief that pulled pork is cooked low and slow for hours without peeking or disturbing the process. If you are going to open your appliance and spray every 10 minutes HTF can the temps be maintained??

Am I missing a crucial step??

Hub
Do you just put the probe in the grill or inside the meat itself?  Seems to me if I want the grill temp to be around 275 or so, I wouldn't insert into meat, maybe later on to see if it is done or not.

I put it in the meat itself  most of the time, but you can also hang it in the dome for a constant grill temp reading.  For me, I know just about how many chunks of charocal with how big an opening will keep what temp for how long.  I'm with Ben, I try not to open the grill.  If I do it's just to add more wood for smoke.

Iver

WRT Pulled pork...I am not an expert, and everyone might have their own method...but in my experience if you keep the temp low (200-250) you will find that the pork will get up to 150F and then sit there for hours....  no need to do anything other than monitor the temp of the grill for the first 5-6 hours.  

Unless you see the grill temp drop I would resist opening the lid.

I would check temp of the meat after 7-8 hours rotate the roast and if the temp is above 160F figure another hour or so for every 10F up to minimum 185F.

I would try to not open the grill more than once every hour to an hour and a half.

patience pays for this type of bbq.

frak

Put out an APB for Livermushbiscutt.  He's from good Carolina-style bbq country and strikes me as the type of guy who has a deep repetoire of pig-pickn' recipes.  

In fact, when I saw the earlier recipe for Lexington-style sauce, if you (basically) substitute mustard for ketchup you are on your way with a vinegar-based bbq that the Piedmont is famous for.  

Any rate, I hope the expert weighs in.

BEN: It does not take me long to spray the pork,I can do it, loosing very little heat.

Model 31

foureyedgeek
Hub, you take the skin off and leave it off, or just to work the rub in?

Hub
I take the skin off and leave it off.  I've actually never seen someone cook a shoulder with it on.  Now that I think of it I really like the skin on a whole hog, but I don't think you'd get enough bark or the self basting part of having the fat exposed if you did that on a shoulder.

Peent
Here is what happened.  We had 2, 5-6 lb Boston butts, put them on at 7 or so in the morning and slow cooked/smoked them until 2 in the afternoon.  I used a killer homemade rub of pepper, paprika, turbinado sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, and a few other things I forgot already.  Turned out great and it all got devoured.  I personally drank 8 pale ales, and now am ready for bed.  The pork was wonderful, and I also made some homemade baked beans from the Emeril web site that I highly recommend.  I am tired and thanks all for your help, it was terrific.

foureyedgeek
I used Hub's rub and have a nice pork shoulder in the fridge for dinner tomorrow night.  I'll be looking at the baked bean recipe in the next tab and making up some macaroni salad for dinner tomorrow night.  Thanks fellas.

Peent
I used Hub's rub and have a nice pork shoulder in the fridge for dinner tomorrow night.  I'll be looking at the baked bean recipe in the next tab and making up some macaroni salad for dinner tomorrow night.  Thanks fellas.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes....ex.html