REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Missed Again!

Internet Scouting --Do you?

wkburns
It takes a lot of work to put together some of the PE's that I have done. It just becomes frustrating when you read these, and frankly makes me have the attitude of why bother going through the work. My intention is to not ruin hunting spots,and I try not to name towns or counties. I am not picking on you Steve. This has been a feeling I have got from other posts over the past year.

Brad Eden
It takes a lot of work to put together some of the PE's that I have done. It just becomes frustrating when you read these, and frankly makes me have the attitude of why bother going through the work. My intention is to not ruin hunting spots,and I try not to name towns or counties. I am not picking on you Steve. This has been a feeling I have got from other posts over the past year.

Don't let one or a few naysayers ruin the pleasure the rest of us get from your hunt reports and excellent photography. I've never gotten the feeling you were being too specific.

bobman

Take it from a internet scouting expert if you don't name local city names or location within the state its very difficult to use the info

I enjoy the PE's  immensely I never considered them bragging.

I just felt the need to caution everyone about their potential harm.

If I wanted to hunt one of the UJers spots I would simply PM them and ask them for help. I've done it before and got help and I've given it as well.

The famous XXXX started with my comments about internet scouting, got some  good natured ribbing from the guys in the NE that hunt the phony king with it. They have unlimited amounts of federal and state land to hunt, IMO though internet scouting is a big problem in ND and Kansas.

Photos of a grouse woods without city names or landmarks are worthless to an internet scouter.

I wouldn't even name the state if I was posting a PE.

redtop
Take it from a internet scouting expert if you don't name local city names or location within the state its very difficult to use the info

I enjoy the PE's  immensely I never considered them bragging.

I just felt the need to caution everyone about their potential harm.

If I wanted to hunt one of the UJers spots I would simply PM them and ask them for help. I've done it before and got help and I've given it as well.

The famous XXXX started with my comments about internet scouting, got some  good natured ribbing from the guys in the NE that hunt the phony king with it. They have unlimited amounts of federal and state land to hunt, IMO though internet scouting is a big problem in ND and Kansas.

Photos of a grouse woods without city names or landmarks are worthless to an internet scouter.

I wouldn't even name the state if I was posting a PE.

I think he's right on, I love the PE's don't stop, but don't think for a minute it can't draw allot of people to a certain area, will it effect you local guys that have lots of local contacts and everyday to hunt no, but the guy who  has one week and hunts public lots of hunters will ruin it.

Brad Eden

Seems regional or what part of the country you hunt in or what particular area, private, public etc.

I was up north–in Maine in an area that is well know for grouse and woodcock hunting–near my camp–on Thursday–an area mentioned frequently here on UJ w/photo PE's and all. I hunted the covers around camp and camp road (a stretch that local guides often bring clients) and then went out on a "road hunting" expedition in afternoon to scout out any new cuttings in paper company land. Burnt a good deal of gas and I NEVER saw a single other bird hunter anywhere all day. Now this was a weekday granted, but still.

caleb

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that the internet scouting thing cuts both ways - i.e. someone doesn't have any luck in an area and posts about it, which in turn discourages others from going to that area.  

The biggest example of this sort of negative feedback I can think of is pheasants in Iowa.  Since the internet discovered that SoDak has a bunch of pheasants more than Iowa, there's been a huge westward migration of nonresident hunters.  Nobody really goes to Iowa anymore.  Part of that is due to declining numbers, but part of it I think is due to the sort of online reputation both Iowa and South Dakota have developed.

The internet scouting has the potential to concentrate traveling hunters in publicized locations, but that also means that it clears out less publicized and perhaps less prime locations.  One example of that in Minnesota is that the only place I ever see out of state plates (other than NoDak) is around Grand Rapids.  The RGS meeting is there, and so it's a well known grouse "spot".  Is it any better than any other number of places?  No, but it's well known and it attracts everyone who wants to come to MN to grouse hunt.  By concentrating all the traveling hunters in a known area, it empties out the rest of the woods.

Flairball

I know for a fact that a certain area in MT received 4-5 times more pressure after it was pimped on this site,

Really? I suppose all those other hunters were wearing "I found this spot on UJ" T-shirts.

There are a lot of ways to find places to hunt. I know if one guy at the F&G club has a good hunt someplace out of state, the next year everyone from the club will be there.

I've heard people giving directions to strangers in sporting good stores while comparing ammo choices.

Magazines have done way more damage than PEs here.

Ever been to a Sportsmans show? I've sat in at presentations where the presenter has shown slides and maps of old cuts, managed areas, and "grouse hunting" areas. The presentation was on an area in Maine.

I can't speak for those who waste their time wandering the grasslands  :p , but as a grouse hunter I can say it takes a bit more than the name of a place to find the good cover. And if it is that easy it means there is a ton of cover and you'll still have places to hunt when it's crowded.

But what about the other side of the coin? Are we going to be the last bird hunters in this country? Shouldn't we educate, and promote his thing we love? How do we do that if we keep all the info locked away? We certainly don't need to hold anyone's hand, and take them to our prime covers, but maybe letting someone know there is good cover in XX, YY, and ZZ, and posting a PE will motivate them to put their boots on the ground and get looking. After all, that's how it's done. Naturally care should be used to not name specific locations, but naming town, county, mountain range, ain't really doing that.  And guess what? Using the Internet to do your homework isn't anything new, either.

nobirdshere

Hmmmm, I should probably qualify my prior comments, which in retrospect, are pretty negative. The ONLY reason I sign on to UJ as often as I do and feel compelled to float Brad a check every year is for the wonderful photo essays and reports posted herein. It sure is hell isn't for the climate change or wolf discussions (although I appreciate the animals that didn't get the memo as promulgated in Genesis regarding man's dominion forum). These efforts are what make the discussion board.

There was a thread on another forum that kind of touched a nerve. What I don't care for is when reports include "we hunted northwest of XX and put up 52 grouse in 4 hours". The essays are great and don't give away a great deal at all. Text can give away quite a bit depending on the discretion of the poster. In other cases where people that don't otherwise participate at all inquire about reports from XX in the thread title, that doesn't sit too well either. Especially if the surrounding area isn't that particularly large.

This is the reality of the Interweb and anything that helps keep interest in upland hunting I suppose is a good thing. The essays make this board and those that continue to put in the effort should be commended.

Anyhoo, the car is packed and the dogs are freaking. Perhaps I'll take a few photos later today from an unspecified location......

Briarscratch

Perhaps I'll take a few photos later today from an unspecified location......

...in Michigan.

Wade, et al, keep up the good work.  It's the photo essays and narratives that differentiate UJ from all the other hunting sites.  The bar has been set pretty high and the result is first rate journalism that is unequaled outside of magazines like Grays and Shooting Sportsman.  We just need to remember to keep the details a mystery.

caleb
But what about the other side of the coin? Are we going to be the last bird hunters in this country? Shouldn't we educate, and promote his thing we love? How do we do that if we keep all the info locked away? We certainly don't need to hold anyone's hand, and take them to our prime covers, but maybe letting someone know there is good cover in XX, YY, and ZZ, and posting a PE will motivate them to put their boots on the ground and get looking. After all, that's how it's done. Naturally care should be used to not name specific locations, but naming town, county, mountain range, ain't really doing that.  And guess what? Using the Internet to do your homework isn't anything new, either.

If the internet had existed 50 years ago, internet scouting would have been a non-issue.  I might have read about chukar hunting in Idaho and thought it was neat, but there was no way I would have loaded my dog on a plane and flown out to hunt there.  Even if the information had existed (and it did - Field and Stream has been around a long time) it wouldn't have really changed hunter numbers.

Information (internet, print, word of mouth, etcetera) has so much more of an impact today because (a) more people live in cities and have to travel to hunt, and (b) more people have time and money to travel to hunt.  Those are the core issues, not the proliferation of information online.

What strikes me as odd about this conversation is that it seems to be one group of traveling hunters complaining about another group of traveling hunters because that other group uses nefarious methods to find places to go.  Nobody is complaining that hunters are showing up on the doorstep of their childhood home or clearing out the covers they've hunted since they were 12.  If it was a group of "native" hunters complaining about the influx of foreigners and city slickers I'd understand the sentiment, but that doesn't seem to be what's going on.  It's one group of motorhoming/cabin renting guys complaining about others who are pretty much doing the same thing.

I agree with you here Flairball that a lack of hunters poses a far greater danger to the sport than a few good spots getting "outed" online does.  People aren't going to move back to the prairies and grouse woods en masse any time soon, so the traveling hunter from cities and areas without birds is and will be the norm.  How they figure out where to go seems like a minor detail to me.

Steve Hunts

I really enjoy the great photography contained in the PE's.  There are some outstanding photographers here.  The more of it the better.

I still enjoy magazines too once in awhile. Gray's seems to do a great job of concentrating on the photography without giving away(through text) too much info.  In "The Bird Hunting Edition" there are several "works"(would not call them articles) I would point to. "Dove Day Afternoon" and "That Which Does Not Kill US" are examples that feature great photos and the hunting "experience" without giving away specific info.  Seems like a good compromise and I applaud Gray's for running these pieces.

Kirklan
 I know for a fact that a certain area in MT received 4-5 times more pressure after it was pimped on this site,

Really? I suppose all those other hunters were wearing "I found this spot on UJ" T-shirts.

Nope, I talked to them in the parking lot of the only motel for 50 miles and also @ the local watering hole.  UJ has a bigger reach than one might think.  When someone posts a photo essay that states, "limits of sharpies every day by 8:30a.m.," and everyone knows what part of the state that person is hunting, even down to the city or national grassland, it can certainly have an affect.

I've given out a lot of direct information via PM, email and also to complete strangers over the phone.  IF said people seem to be contributing members of whatever site they happen to get in contact with me from, I am usually more than happy to help.  Just recently I provided a gentleman from this site with a map with 5 or 6, "X marks the spot," on it.  He is from Texas and is coming to ID to go chukar hunting for the first time.  He approached me in the right way and I was more than happy to help, as others have helped me when I have asked via PM.  I just don't get the need to name locations.

Crayborn

30 29'13.62"N

88 7'47.62"W

My Woodcock spot......Anyone wana make the trip I show you where it is personally.   well you do have to have the keys.

ThomGordon
I do the complete opposite. If I recognize a particular area that someone is posting pics of I choose to go a different direction. If I have a pic with a recognizable background that I feel needs to be included I'll edit the pic so it's not . Also I try not to post pics that show particular landmarks. And another trick is when I get my a$$ handed to me on a hunt meaning didn't see a damn thing I'll include those pics to throw off the lurker. On the other hand given out the names of places seems downright irresponsible in my opinion, especially public ground. There are fellers who do not frequent bird hunting forums that also use the land. Last but definately not least is the amount of pressure put on the resource, this has to be taken into consideration. A fine line to walk but I think overall most here seem to respect the quarry they pursue and the places they frequent

SetterNut

I really enjoy the PEs on this site.  

I enjoy posting pics of my hunts and dogs, but don't post some of the pics, or crop them so that location information is limited.

If you want to keep your hunting spots from becoming widely known, you have to protect them!