FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
redrockin7

LL Bean Partridge Strap Vest II

redrockin7

Looking for a strap vest and generally like bean stuff. The vest is on sale for $39 now and thinking about pulling the trigger, but had two quick questions as they only have one picture view on the website:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69600?feat=sr

1) Does anyone know if the back of this thing has any blaze on it? PA has relatively strict blaze restrictions. I can obviously wear a blaze shirt under (love the bean classic upland shirts), but just curious if I would 'need' to.

2) I go about 5'6" and 145lb and these things only come in M/L and XL/XXL or something. Will the M/L be too big on me? Will it adjust enough? A little leary as a 245lb guy posted a review that said he was returning his XL/XXL for a M/L as they run big...

If there are other strap vests I should be looking at let me know, but I really want to keep it under $75-100 for a vest if I can. I've never owned and not sure how I will like a strap vest versus a regular vest I use most of the time now. Of the others I looked at in the < 100 price range, I kind of liked the Avery strap vest too...

Bonasa
I have that vest and like it very much.  It is up north so I can't pull it out now, but pretty sure it has orange on the back.  It is very comfortable and extremely well designed.  The water bottle pockets and map pocket are great.  The lumbar support does help distribute the load better than other vests.  I think you will like strap vests better than regular vests.  They are great in hot weather and just as great in cold weather because you can wear an upland shell underneath for warmth and excellent range of motion.  The only drawback I have found is that the straps are a little heavier than I like.  Overall, I would say it is a no-brainier at $39.00.  Can't say for sure about size, but at 6' 200 lbs, the M/L fits with plenty of ability to go tighter.

DTB

I have the vest as well and really like it. It will have the orange on the upper back panel as well as on the pockets.I don't know how many square inches.

As far as size, I am 5'7" and 170 pounds and the M/L fits well. Plenty of adjustment to make smaller I believe.

The waist belt takes ALL the weight off my shoulders . I did not think I would like the pocket flaps but they are working out fine. I am getting another one as a back-up. Great vest for the money.

Dave

ScottGrush
Is it hot? That back panel looks quite substantial. I cannot imagine any air circulation might be wrong however.

Bonasa
Is it hot? That back panel looks quite substantial. I cannot imagine any air circulation might be wrong however.

Because the design distributes the weight more efficiently, any additional warmth generated is made up for by the fact that you work less to carry the load.

Hunshatt
uhhhhhh .... never mind......

Tim Frazier
uhhhhhh .... never mind......

Well, that was helpful!

I have one and it really is pretty nice.  What helps with air circulation is that because the belt carries most of the weight the straps are not pulled down as tight and it seems to be quite comfortable on warm days.  Now warm for me is 60ish, not 70/80 like out west.

For $39 and no shipping, it's a deal.

Hunshatt
I've bought a # of those at the outlet for guys here.... nice enough specially for what I/they paid..... but if heat dispersion is the goal, you cannot beat the quilomene San Carlos.... you just cant. the Bean vest is going to be warmer ... and if as Wade claims the design distributes weight of ALL the gear he carries  better(and it might) ..... maybe he should take another look at his gear requirements....

Talon1

I really like the way that the vest carries a load, but it is pretty hot. I even wore mine in cooler temps and my shirt was still soaked on the back.

It is a great vest for grouse and pheasant hunting, but is limited in carrying capacity for chukars.

I have one of the vest that is made out of the nylon and I will give it away if someone can use it. It is a XL/XXL.

PM if interested.

Bonasa

... and if as Wade claims the design distributes weight "of ALL" (editors note-I didn't say that jackass) gear he carries  better(and it might) ..... maybe he should take another look at his gear requirements....

It's mostly bird weight...suppose I could self-impose a lower bag limit... :cool:

Wtf,  talk about throwing stones from a glass house?? You have (2) or more of everything I have, and probably carry more stuff, (and I don't put everything in the vest' if that's what you mean).  I have retractable lines for GPS and E-collar transmitter which snap on the belt :glare:  :glare:

Irish Joe

If this is the Bean vest with the two strap pivots on the back, then Fuess has one.

...and Fuess's new nickname is squeaky, as the pivots squeak when he walks!

DTB

I totally agree with Tim Frazier that the design of the weight bearing belt makes this vest cool enough for my use in Florida.

The straps are not tight on my shoulders and the back panel rides away from my back. Hard to put into words and hard to picture I am sure but I have about 20 hunts in this vest and have hunted 80 degree days in comfort.

Dave

Hunshatt
... and if as Wade claims the design distributes weight "of ALL" (editors note-I didn't say that jackass) gear he carries  better(and it might) ..... maybe he should take another look at his gear requirements....

It's mostly bird weight...suppose I could self-impose a lower bag limit... :cool:

Wtf,  talk about throwing stones from a glass house?? You have (2) or more of everything I have, and probably carry more stuff, (and I don't put everything in the vest' if that's what you mean).  I have retractable lines for GPS and E-collar transmitter which snap on the belt :glare:  :glare:

2iswods.gif

Bonasa
If this is the Bean vest with the two strap pivots on the back, then Fuess has one.

...and Fuess's new nickname is squeaky, as the pivots squeak when he walks!

Yup, me too....LMAO

Curt
That looks like a good deal.  For you guys that have them what do you think about them for a tall guy?  My son is 6'5", do you think those buckles would be too high on the body for him, are the shoulder straps adjustable at all.  I'd like to get him one at this price if I thought it was adjustable.  What do you think?