• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
jbeck

2012 UJ Fly Swap

jbeck

Hi Gang,

I just got to thinking about last year's swap, which we kicked off right around this time.  Is anyone interested in giving it a go again this year?  If so, would we want a "theme", or just tie what you'r comfortable with?

Let me know your thoughts.  For those new to the game, check out the 2011 swap thread pinned above for an idea on how it worked...

Talon1

Add me in.

I'll tie some BWO parachute emergers. It will be BWO fishing soon......

What is the date on this?

Thanks.

Field Grade

Yes I'd like to take part again.

How about a fairly broad theme, like, 'any type of freshwater fly (dry/emerger/wet/nymph/streamer/etc.) as long as it uses gamebird feather(s) as one or more of its components.'

Does that sound like it would work... I think last year's was something similar.

Whatever the consensus, I'm in. Not sure what I'll tie yet, maybe some kind of sculpin dressing with grouse 'cheeks.'

Rob

Wildbird
I'm interested depending on when the flies need to be completed. Really enjoyed last year's swap.

Escopeton
I would prefer it to be panfish, bass, trout, or other based.  Keep things from going all over the chart.

Grifish
I would like to participate and if you need any help I'm just down the road.  Any type of fly is fine with me, I need to get started on some tropical saltwater patterns for a March trip, this will be motavation.

jbeck

It's great to see some interest in this again!  I'm ok keeping it trout based, as that's would probably cover the widest audience. We'll follow the same format as last year, except we'll just post the dates, and not limit the number of tiers. We'll just count the total we get, and each person ties that many, plus 2 extra to donate to Brad for his use.

I'll post the dates later, and will PM everyone my address once we get the full list. I'll be tying a bead-headed nymph again, using pheasant tail.

Talon1
Are duck feathers okay, or is it just upland birds?

jbeck
Are duck feathers okay, or is it just upland birds?

Absolutely fine, in my opinion.  We want to try and have people tie with material from game they harvested.

Talon1

I am forming some ideas for some chukar feathers as well.

Do you have a target date for these or are you still waiting for more participants?

jbeck
I am forming some ideas for some chukar feathers as well.

Do you have a target date for these or are you still waiting for more participants?

Right now, I am targeting getting commitments from people by 2/1, and having the flies in the mail to me by 3/1.  That will give me enough time to sort them out, and get them back out to people by the 2nd week in March.

How's that sound to everyone?

Talon1

Sounds good. It will help me get back into the groove.

I've got a lot of tying to get done.

jbeck

Looks like we're off to a great start!  Here's what we have so far, based on the initial posts:

jbeck - beadhead pheasant tale nymph

Talon1 - BWO parachute emergers

Field Grade - some kind of sculpin dressing with grouse "cheeks"

Wildbird - ?

Escopeton - ?

Grifish - ?

For those that have already indicated the type of fly, feel free to change your mind.  I just copied what I say above in the posts.

tartanshooter

OK, I'm in. Can't decide weather to tie a general fly like an Olive Wooly Bugger or a specific like a Hendrickson emerger. Please bmail me with a preference.

Dick

Talon1
Tartan, I would like to see that Hendrickson emerger. Is it your design?