Sign in to follow this  
jbeck

2012 UJ Fly Swap

LostintheUplands
The ants will be finished up tomorrow. Some prettier than others. :down:

Grifish
My March Brown flymphs are on the way. Let's see how many days it takes to get to the Northeast from Conchy!

LostintheUplands

Ants are marching... I'll drop in the mail this afternoon on way home.

I threw in a few  extra March Brown drys for the host of this shindig.

thanks jbeck

jbeck

Hi Gang,

The flies have been trickling in, and some people have indicated that they need a little more time.  As soon as I get them all, they will go back out.  Should be in the next 2 weeks or so.  

I've been peaking as they have been coming in, and I am in awe of the talented people on this board.  They look great!

john mcg

They went today. Sorry for the delay, guys.

Its not easy working with ice cream around a 14.

Field Grade

A dozen CDC-elk-&-grouse dries are on the way.

I played around with a few other types of flies but I found that the grouse feather stems can be brittle, so I chose this fly.

This dressing is a little on the ratty side, partly due to my modest tying skills, partly because it's supposed to look that way.

The CDC really imparts a living, 'buggy' quality to the fly in the drift. And the grouse overwing gives a nice mottled look.

This type of pattern has been one of the most productive dry flies for me in the past couple years -- during caddis, stonefly or even mayfly hatches.

Trout sometimes blast this fly as it skitters at the end of the drift... and my mind is off daydreaming somewhere.  suspect.gif

I don't use any floatant (greasy stuff like Gink would just gob up the CDC anyway.)

I just false cast a few times to dry off. Or swish around in the water if a fish slimes it.

Rob

john mcg
A dozen CDC-elk-&-grouse dries are on the way.

I played around with a few other types of flies but I found that the grouse feather stems can be brittle, so I chose this fly.

This dressing is a little on the ratty side, partly due to my modest tying skills, partly because it's supposed to look that way.

The CDC really imparts a living, 'buggy' quality to the fly in the drift. And the grouse overwing gives a nice mottled look.

This type of pattern has been one of the most productive dry flies for me in the past couple years -- during caddis, stonefly or even mayfly hatches.

Trout sometimes blast this fly as it skitters at the end of the drift... and my mind is off daydreaming somewhere.  suspect.gif

I don't use any floatant (greasy stuff like Gink would just gob up the CDC anyway.)

I just false cast a few times to dry off. Or swish around in the water if a fish slimes it.

Rob

They make powder drying agent that works ok on CDC.

Grifish

Yep, desiccant works great on CDC.  When you buy a piece of electronic equipment there is usually a pack that says "Do not eat or open, throw away" open it and dry it out in the oven, put in a pill bottle and viola!

Even after cooking, please don't eat!

Rusty Trigger
Yep, desiccant works great on CDC.  When you buy a piece of electronic equipment there is usually a pack that says "Do not eat or open, throw away" open it and dry it out in the oven, put in a pill bottle and viola!

Even after cooking, please don't eat!

good tip!

jbeck

A lot of the flies have arrived in the past few days.  I'll try to do an inventory tomorrow night, and see if anyone is missing.

I haven't opened all the envelopes, but I hope that everyone remembered to include a postage-paid return envelope to get your flies back to you... (hint, hint)   :p

jbeck
I think I have everyone's flies, so I am going to try and package them up over the next few days.  My only problem is that I am working nights, and need to get them to the post office to mail.  Please be patient - they are coming as soon as possible!

LostintheUplands

No hurries jbeck, don't sweat it.

I'm still bent on finding spring WC anyway.

I plan on checking out a local sgl tomorrow.

Rusty Trigger
Take your time Jbeck...thanks for putting this together.  Can't wait to see everyones work.  Any chance of a photo to share with the board?

jbeck
Just an update: I am back from training tomorrow night, and will get to the post office first thing on Saturday morning.  Again, sorry for the delay.  Once we got past the first few days of March with receiving the flies, my work schedule got crazy.

john mcg
Just an update: I am back from training tomorrow night, and will get to the post office first thing on Saturday morning.  Again, sorry for the delay.  Once we got past the first few days of March with receiving the flies, my work schedule got crazy.

No worries, John.

We appreciate you managing the swap.

Its great fun.