2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Deer Steaks

Laminarman
You know what Wheil, when you have ten degrees outside and it's howling cold and snow on the grill, the broiler is just awesome.  I have not had great luck with grills, can't get them hot enough.  Sometimes I'll use ash or oak in a fire, and honest to God, use a leaf blower to get that puppy screaming hot, put the steaks on and keep the blower going, they sear up real nice! My wife has a video somewhere, it's a hoot.

Laminarman
Should have added that it all comes down to heat and keeping the meat warm when it comes off.  I will use a screaming hot cast iron pan too.  I find I either use high heat or low heat, anything normal and you're screwed.  So it's either seared or braised/crock pot/soup.  Also, I put the broiler on hi, let the oven warm up and use convection broil.  I tried the toaster oven (and we have a high end one) and it doesn't get hot enough. Brad was right, the broiler does work, try it and put it right up there near the broiler element.  Use a drip pan, it will help keep it from being messy, although venison doesn't have a lot of juice to drip.

wheil17

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I have one of those weber charcoal grills with the fancy propane lighter. i like it but you're right- there's no insulation when it's really cold (below zero) so heat can be tough.

Roost em 1st

It's been said before around here, but a chimney starter for charcoal works to sear steaks as it's own grill (don't dump it into a grill just put a grill on it), no matter the temp. I'm lucky that we don't get many cold days in KY. But even in single digits I grill on the weber kettle. This whole thread is delicious.

Someone told me about baking soda and salt as a rub. Freeze the rubbed steak for 30 minutes, then grill. Opposite of what I do leaving steaks to room temp for hours, but the guy is a good cook. He claims it allows for a well seared exterior and medium rare center. I know baking soda is used by some for stir fry's. Perhaps the wok master will elaborate?

charlo slim

A friend just sent me the following link.... therby reminding me of this thread.  Thought it might be of some interest to those who process their own big critters.

This guy is incredibly good/fast (I'd need to keep a tourniquet handy if I tried it at half that speed).  Also, some of the larger muscle groups he removes from the hind quarter would then be broken down into two or more muscle bundles in our operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...._player

Ben Hong

I know baking soda is used by some for stir fry's. Perhaps the wok master will elaborate?

Wyatt, this is a common procedure when using tougher and dryer cuts of meat for stir frying. BUT there is a residual bitterness and chemical taste if you use too much, as well as denaturing the meat to make it mealy. My advise is if you want use bicarb  to tenderize tough cuts of meat, use it in combination with a salty substance (soy sauce), a sweet (to mask potential bitterness), and use only in tiny amounts, perhaps 1/2 tsp to 1/2 lb of meat and marinate for at least an hour. Better solution is to use pineapple juice or chopped papaya both of which has tenderizing enzymes.

bmeador

I also butcher my own deer.  I cut the backstraps into 1 lb. chunks and vacc. seal.  When it is grilling time I thaw and then slice it into steaks.  I too separate the muscles and trim as much of the thin membrane and ALL of the fat off each and freeze individually.  Then we can thaw it and THEN decide if it is a roast, stew meat, etc...

I grind my own burger and have 2 different kinds.  Single coarse ground that I use for chili, spaghetti, etc...  And I'll do a few pounds of burger meat for the grill adding about 11% beef fat to a double fine grind.

I've got a table that I set up in the kitchen just for this process with dedicated cutting boards and butchering kit.  Start with a full hindquarter and end up w/lots of beautiful chunks of healthy venison.  After finishing the cutting, whatever I feel like grinding gets ground and frozen!

Here in VA we really don't have the weather to age a deer outside.  I'm considering getting a fridge for the basement to age quarters for 3 or 4 days.  Anyone have any experience/tips on this?

Laminarman
I also butcher my own deer.  I cut the backstraps into 1 lb. chunks and vacc. seal.  When it is grilling time I thaw and then slice it into steaks.  I too separate the muscles and trim as much of the thin membrane and ALL of the fat off each and freeze individually.  Then we can thaw it and THEN decide if it is a roast, stew meat, etc...

I grind my own burger and have 2 different kinds.  Single coarse ground that I use for chili, spaghetti, etc...  And I'll do a few pounds of burger meat for the grill adding about 11% beef fat to a double fine grind.

I've got a table that I set up in the kitchen just for this process with dedicated cutting boards and butchering kit.  Start with a full hindquarter and end up w/lots of beautiful chunks of healthy venison.  After finishing the cutting, whatever I feel like grinding gets ground and frozen!

Here in VA we really don't have the weather to age a deer outside.  I'm considering getting a fridge for the basement to age quarters for 3 or 4 days.  Anyone have any experience/tips on this?

I have and I think it was successful.  Problem is that how do we really know if it helped or not unless you age one piece and not another from the same deer?  I'm a believer in it.  I have done it in either large ice chests with ice in it or in an extra refrigerator set to like 40-42 degrees for a week or so.  I skin, wrap in cheesecloth then into a paper bag or between sheets of butcher paper, bone in.  I also age game birds, wrapping them in their feathers into a roll of newspaper or brown paper bag and place them on a shelf in the extra fridge.

J. Sappington

IMG_2270.jpg

Boy that looks good! Makes me want to get my first Deer!

SODAKer

When butchered large muscle groups separated and all silver skin and fascia trimmed off.  

Tenderloin or backstrap cut full, rub with grapeseed oil, liberal Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic and onion salt.

Heat BGE to 600-700. Throw slab on and sear side to rare/med rare. Let rest then slice into medallions.

Melt butter, garlic, fresh herb and splash of red wine in a sauce pan and then top medallions.

Larger cuts/roast go in the crock pot coated with dry french onion soup mix. Add a little water, cooked 6-8 hours on low.

Ben Hong
Jeeze Earl, email me your address and call me next time you do this!

redrockin7

I had never oven-broiled a venison steak before tonight... In fact, I'm not sure I ever broiled anything in my 30 year life. It definitely will be a recurring thing for me, especially in winter. It's time to break out the grill, but I still may go to the broiler now and then!

Did it 5 mins per side, then a 5 minute rest under tin foil. Had a very nice medium, very tender steak. 2-3 minutes on the 2nd side would have did a nice medium rare. Either way it was good after marinated in olive oil, soy, and 1/2 montreal steak 1/2 spicy montreal seasonings. With redskin mashed potatos...

Delish...

L. Gallagher
Try a marsala, will make you think you've died and gone to heaven.

12ette

My best method is simply grind the whole wretched long legged rat and make sausages and hot dogs, or feed the dog.

It looks good though guys

Kansas Big Dog
My best method is simply grind the whole wretched long legged rat and make sausages and hot dogs, or feed the dog.

It looks good though guys

You are missing out, many folks that I have grilled venison for have said it is the best meat they have ever had.  It is 75% processing and 25% preparation IMO.  You must dry age the meat for at least 5 days and then cut the muscles individually. Each muscle can be readied by removing all the fat.  I then double wrap and freeze.  When I remove from the freezer, I slice into steaks when still slightly frozen.  Season and drizzle a very small amount of olive oil on each steak.  Grill med rare.  Oh yeah.