2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Deer Steaks

12ette
Honestly, were I hunt they eek out a harsh existence on mostly pine browse.  The loins are fine, but after that, grind it.  I'll eat mutton first.

Kansas Big Dog
Honestly, were I hunt they eek out a harsh existence on mostly pine browse.  The loins are fine, but after that, grind it.  I'll eat mutton first.

Why are the loins fine but nothing else?  I am not being a turd, just curious.  I understand the pine needles browsing thingy.

12ette

Loins are not worked, have lower blood flow because of this, thus they are not too bad.  I often poach them in butter, or slice sear and serve topped with raspberry jam.  

I get many like it, and from what I can see there are some fine photos showing potential.   Here in the southerntier of NY.... nah.  Seriously, hotdogs with cheddar and jalapeno are the best they can be.

Kansas Big Dog
Loins are not worked, have lower blood flow because of this, thus they are not too bad.  I often poach them in butter, or slice sear and serve topped with raspberry jam.  

I get many like it, and from what I can see there are some fine photos showing potential.   Here in the southerntier of NY.... nah.  Seriously, hotdogs with cheddar and jalapeno are the best they can be.

If it is an issue of tenderness, dry aging will take care of that.  This is the buck I shot this year.

IMAG0756UJ_zpsdf0d0a98.jpg

Probably a 3 or 4 year old mule deer.  I dry aged him for 6 days and he is much more tender than any beef you can buy.  And, more tasty too.