FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Huntschool

Lets talk casting and how????

Huntschool
Good comment John.  Thats actually funny cause I carried a "transistor radio" back in the day..... Feeling the load up on the back cast and then making your forward presentation is rather musical in a strange way.

PartridgeCartridge
One of my goals this year is to increase my roll cast distance.

Start looking into a switch cast if you want to "roll cast" further. It is a very efficient way to turn a "roll" into a loop and you can even shoot line once the loop forms.

Or a voodoo cast if you have less back room to work with but need more distance.

john mcg
One of my goals this year is to increase my roll cast distance.

Start looking into a switch cast if you want to "roll cast" further. It is a very efficient way to turn a "roll" into a loop and you can even shoot line once the loop forms.

Or a voodoo cast if you have less back room to work with but need more distance.

PC--Funny that you should mention that.

I 'discovered' the switch cast more or less by a combination of accident and experimentation one evening fishing a brownie pool where I was standing tight against a high bank. I realized that I could load the rod with the water and throw a loop sideways and in that case upstream. The extra pull on the line, helped. What was cool was how it felt when I got the tip moving in the right parabolic. I learned later what I had done.

Very cool stuff!

john mcg

Ha ha. I just watched that voodoo cast. Very cool.

Again, unknowing I have tried something like that only to end up with a badly collapsed line.

Something to investigate further.

:)

Huntschool

OK... well, I am going the other way.  What I have called my low back cast/side arm/roll cast all these years has been pretty much what is now called a "switch" cast.  Cool.

I thought I was going to have to look stupid and ask what the hell a "switch cast" was... whoops, I guess I just did... LOL

Now I have to go out and throw it and see what mine really looks like...  but now, I guess to get it really right, I need a "Switch" rod...  LOL

Tcaddis
How many of you guys are throwing two drys at the same time.

Huntschool

Truthfully, I have only done it a few times and that was over in MO.  Have also done the nymph thing with a dry.... I felt unpure when I did it....  LOL...

Dont do it any more....

Talon1

I throw two flies if the need arises. Like I caught a BWO hatch last June on one of my favorite tailwaters and it was late evening and the water had that glare on it that you can't hardly see any type of a fly (much less a size 20 baetis), so I dropped the baetis emerger off of a size 14 caddis and watched for rises close to the caddis. It also comes in handy when fish are just breaking surface on midge emergers, you can hang a midge pupa off of a small piece of tippet off of a dry (maybe a griffiths).

I think getting a few lessons can help more than anything.

Keeps you from starting bad habits.

I taught myself pretty much all of the casting that I know, but I did take 2 lessons later on and wished that I had started with the lessons at the start.

Tcaddis

Nymph! Come on man!

No formal lessons here. I have been known to throw a line across a triple seam, with a three foot drift needed, to the far bank on Penns. Some times I win. Sometimes the fish does.

When the cast is just right. You beat the seams. The trout head comes out of the water with a foot of drift left. The trout sits there suspended just waiting for your offering. He closes his mouth on a fly you tied. The hook up and fight is anticlimactic.

Casting lessons are great. It's just not for me. I want to sink or swim on my own.

Probably the same reason to don't send a dog off for training. My hounds might suck, but they are mine.

Tcaddis
How about flourocarbon and frogs fanny?

Huntschool

Tcadis:  I need to come back east and you and I need to meet and I will supply the refreshments. However, It will likely be of Southern origin if that is OK...

Folorocarbon..  nope.  Nymphs……  Ya have to understand MO water...  their streamside stuff is way different then what we are accustomed to back east.  There are few “hatches” on these waters.  Big fish, Yep.  Hatches Nope…  The fish are growing to great proportions from the underwater food according to the locals and some of the stream Biol. Folks.  BS..  I have seen them but I am no bug doctor….  Soooo  I fish color matches…  Deer and Elk hair humpy’s work great as do Elk hair cadis…  some para stuff is good…. CDC works.. I have also had good luck with some stuff to the point that I have had good fishing locals ask me what the hell I was using…  Tell em and they say no way….  Cause there is no hatch……  WRONG….

Meanwhile keep that kid shooting with PC....

Talon1

I haven't seen enough of a difference between fluoro and mono to warrant the exorbitant cost. I fish mono and all of my leaders are hand tied.

I use frog's fanny. I start out using Dry Magic to dress my flies (gel type floatant that is safe for CDC), then use the frog's fanny to dry stuff out after it has been slimed.

I try to work as close to the fish as possible.

For trout fishing, I think that it is more important to be able to cast accurately and having a good solid reach mend cast with some other drag fighting casts thrown in (such as the parachute casts, pile casts, etc), than being able to throw long casts.

PartridgeCartridge
I try to work as close to the fish as possible.

For trout fishing, I think that it is more important to be able to cast accurately and having a good solid reach mend cast with some other drag fighting casts thrown in (such as the parachute casts, pile casts, etc), than being able to throw long casts.

I agree completely with that, but on my home waters, it is often impossible to get close to feeding lanes due to water depth.

And the oldest and wariest fish always seem to be  in those distant prime lies.... Which is probably the reason they get to be old and wary.

And you will rarely fool these fish unless your drift is long and as drag free as humanly possible.

Talon1

I agree with you as well. I used to fish a tailwater back east that you would put fish down if you got within 40 ft of them with a driftboat. The river was basically like a very deep (the reason for the boat), but slow spring creek and 50 ft casts were the norm, with crazy long down stream drifts.

I have a tailwater that is close to here that when the water levels are low enough, you can put fish down wading within 30-35 ft if you are not careful.

I guess I was just saying to get as close as possible.

I definitely see some guys that do cast way too far for where they are fishing.

Talon1
By the way PC, where do you fish?