FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
shagrunner

Ruffie Recipe?

shagrunner
Since my first bird of the year was a ruffie, which isn't usually the case, and since I have to admit that I'm much better cooking up a batch of chukar or phez, the thought occurred to me that there must be a ton of experience and advice on this board for cooking up a few ruffie breasts.  Please share.....

Hunshatt
I'm much better cooking up a batch of chukar or phez,

people actually eat those things? and live? do they really taste like what Big John describes ass as tasting like? you must be a great and skillful chef

Steelheadfred
Pound both boobs flat, lightly soak in egg wash, in a bowl mix 1/4 egg per two boobs, shredded cheese, minced garlic, salt, pepper, mix that all up.light flower one side of breasts, pour cheese mix , tooth pick breasts together to make a sandwixh, cook med heat in butter or, olive oul in fry pan, cheese wool ooze out sides when done.

ScottGrush

Salt and pepper toss it on the grill. Don't dry it out.

Let it cool a bit then slice and garnish your favorite salad fixings with it. I prefer a honey mustard dressing on mine.

Easy peasy as Dave Medema would say.

Huntschool

This one takes a bit of effort but its great:

Pluck bird and soak in salt water or buttermilk for an hour or two.  (This should cook 2 or 3 birds)

Stuff body cavity with Alaska gold sliced potatoes and hard apples.  Make a light baste out of cider and a bit of cider vinager with some butter and a bit of your your choice of dry rub.

Put in a 450 forced air oven for about 3 -7 minutes to brown (this could be longer depending on oven or you can do this at the end utilizing the baste as an aid in browning) then tent with aluminum foil and reduce temp to 350 and cook for a while... watch your birds each oven is different, baste several times with the baste above and serve with asparagus.  You can cook extra potatoes in the roasting pan if you like.  DO NOT OVER COOK.

Pair this with a light Pinot and have at it....

settem

Honestly, you can't hurt a Ruff Grouse, unless you over cook it.

Baked, fried, grilled, or smoked it's all good!

Hunshatt
Stuff body cavity with Alaska gold sliced potatoes

what if you only have access to New Brunswick spuds..... ? will it ruin the meal?

Tim Frazier
Doug, (DAP) makes the best bird on the grill I've ever eaten.  I don't know that he does anything special, I've probably been too busy stuffing my face.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Iver

This is the standard for day 1 of grouse camping.  

We always bring steak... and clubhouse Montreal steak rub.  The thought being we should eat very well on day one.

Each year we get a bunch of grouse on day one so the meal changes to grilled grouse.

Over the coals of a camp fire.

3-5 minutes grilled grouse breast lightly seasoned with Montreal Steak rub.

Sides of:

- boiled potatoes

-Mix up mushroom gravy from Campbell' s cream of mushroom soup.   Liberally add sauted mushrooms and fresh sweet peas in the pod.

A little red wine works, as does beer.  After dinner (while the dogs clean the plates)  a good single malt to celebrate the successful start to a great adventure.

northern_hunting_mom

fingerfood.jpg

Garlic powder, salt and pepper in flour. Dip in egg and milk then dredge in flour and fry up at high heat. It helps make one grouse go a bit further.

DAP

Doug, (DAP) makes the best bird on the grill I've ever eaten.  I don't know that he does anything special, I've probably been too busy stuffing my face.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Nothing special, just Teriyaki marinade . . .  though I suppose that super special Pennsylvania Style beer makes everything taste better.

Hunshatt
Each year we get a bunch of grouse on day one so the meal changes to grilled grouse.

didn't know you could buy pre killed grouse in kanada.. thats really cool..... maybe you should let haverhill99 know.... save him a lot of money, and he's actually have a bird...

northern_hunting_mom

I've done the following with grouse, chicken and turkey.

Slice breasts diagonally from the grain and fry at a low heat with Italian salad dressing, sweet peppers and thick sliced onion. Put veggies in the pan first for grouse so the meat isn't overcooked. When meat is done, add 1-2 cups of sour cream and heat up just to eating temp. Pour on linguini noodles.