2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
shagrunner

Ruffie Recipe?

barna

Pound both boobs flat, lightly soak in egg wash, in a bowl mix 1/4 egg per two boobs, shredded cheese, minced garlic, salt, pepper, mix that all up.light flower one side of breasts, pour cheese mix , tooth pick breasts together to make a sandwixh, cook med heat in butter or, olive oul in fry pan, cheese wool ooze out sides when done.

I use a similar recipe but I do not pound the grouse breasts, only if I use pheasant, grouse are very tender and cook very fast.

I season the grouse breasts salt pepper, or use seasoned flower, then dip in egg wash (I add Parmesan and Romano cheese to the eggs) then pan fry in olive oil until the breasts are done.  For best results use cast irons skillet over camp fire.

This is a basically a Viennese filet, but using grouse breasts instead of pork loin, which you would beat the schnitzel out of  before frying.  

Barna

Brad Eden

Try this next time you bag a couple ruffs.

Pluck, skin on, salt and pepper and stuff with apple. Slice a few apples and cover bottom of baking dish. Place grouse on top and put additional sliced apple on top. Drop 3 to 4 dollops of grape jelly or jam on top. Cover with foil and cook at around 350-375 for 45 minutes, remove foil and cook another 10 minutes or so to brown.

Apples and grape jelly compliment the grouse and become an apple/grape sauce. I usually serve with asparagus and wild rice.

Uplanders mom has one of the best grouse breast recipes I have ever had. I'll look for it and try to post it later.

JCJ

-Pound breast meat to and even thickness.

-Melt butter in a cast iron skillet and saute shallots and mushrooms and almond slivers. Take out of pan leaving the butter.

-Cook grouse breasts under very low heat, butter should not even sputter while cooking; until breasts are just white all the way through.

-Pour off butter from pan and put the grouse breasts back in. Season as you see fit.

-Pour some Courvoisier over the grouse breasts. Just a little bit.

-Light with a match and glaze the breasts.

-Combine shallots, mushrooms and almond slivers with wild rice as a side. Maybe cranberries too. Serve with the warm grouse breasts just out of the pan.

Hunshatt

-Melt butter in a cast iron skillet and saute shallots and mushrooms and almond slivers. Take out of pan leaving the butter.

-Cook grouse breasts under very low heat, butter should not even sputter while cooking; until breasts are just white all the way through.

-Pour off butter from pan and put the grouse breasts back in. Season as you see fit.

-Combine shallots, mushrooms and almond slivers with wild rice as a side. Maybe cranberries too. Serve with the warm grouse breasts just out of the pan.

that sounds awesome......

Cooter Brown

that sounds awesome......

Shore do...

JCJ

I was grouse hunting a lot when my daughters were in grade school. They used to say if they ate any more grouse they would start to grow feathers.

Anyway here is a favorite of my kids:

-Pound grouse breasts so they are even in thickness.

-Put breasts in a 9"x12" glass baking pan. Season as you like with salt and pepper.

-Put a piece of Provolone cheese on top of each breast.

-Cover to just over the top of cheese with Cream of Mushroom soup made using milk.

-Pour Stove Top Stuffing, the kind in the round can over the entire top layer in a nice even thickness.

-Cover the entire thing with tin foil and bake in a pre-heated oven (350 degrees) for 1 hour. At one hour, peel off the the tin foil and let bake for another 15 minutes to brown/crisp up the dressing.

When finished you have your grouse, dressing, and gravy in one dish. My kids liked to have mash potatoes as part of the meal.

Makes for great leftovers for work lunches.

This is a good for pheasant too.

Moomps
JCJ - that sounds really good and EASY.  One question though - what do you pre-heat the oven to?

JCJ
350 degrees. Sorry!

UglyD

I do this with at least 2 or 3 birds whether they be grouse,chukar,turkey or pheasants each year- great to do at home then take up to camp and reheat for the weekend.

2 or 3 breasts cubed- browned and seasoned.

Take about 1/2 cup or so diced onions,and a cup of diced frozen garden salsa peppers and sauteed them in a soup pan.

Put in some Chicken broth ( 2 cans) and a cup of dark beer ( optional) stir often then

a baggie of garden frozen corn( could use the cans of Mexi-corn in the store)

2 cans of kidney beans.

1 can of diced green chili peppers and add a dried crushed jalopeno

2 cups 1/2 and 1/2.

2 tbl spoons cummin

3 tbls spoons flour or corn starch

bring to a boil and then add browned bird chunks.

simmer for 20 to 30 minutes and let thicken as needed

Hub

I absolutely love Rick's grouse recipe.  If possible it might have heigtened grouses danger in Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin.  It has my wife saying things like, 'When can you start shooting grouse?'

Steelheadfred

Grouse Spread:

in a frying pan, add 8 strips of bacon that you chopped up, brown bacon and remove bacon bits onto paper towel

chop up some grouse into small chunks no bigger than a dime, maybe 6 breasts, ad this to bacon grease and brown chunks, hot and fast is best

remove chunks and place in fridge to cool (this is important)

take a cup of mayo and put in a bowl, take a 1/4 cup room temp cream cheese into bown, season with light salt and pepper and chop up some green onion, mix this all together.

add cooled bacon bits and grouse nuggets to the mayo and cream cheese mix

Stir up and let cool on the counter for an hour, then spread it on good crusty sandwich rolls with fresh lettuce.

Your buddies will be in heaven with these sandwiches.

PartridgeCartridge
fingerfood.jpg

That doesn't look very yummy Jen.

springerguy

Pluck... Skin on.... Season with salt, pepper, fresh pressed garlic and fresh parsely.  Quickly brown skin on all sides in an oven safe skillet on high heat...  with butter or oil (your choice... My recommendation is half olive oil and half truffle butter).  Place a  quarter of an onion and a quartered of an apple in each grouse body cavity. You may put a pat of butter on top... Then place in 375 oven for approx. 40 min (each oven is different.... Do not over cook) spoon drippings over each grouse in skillet half  way through... With 10 min to go flip each grouse to drive juice back into breast... Leave up side down for 5 min... Flip right side up for remaining 5 min or so.  Remove from oven... Remove onion and apple from each grouse...set  grouse aside under foil tent to rest while you make the following sauce.... Deglaze skillet over high heat with scotch (or bourbon or brandy) of your choice (recommend The Glen Livet).... While you run the onion and apple through a blender on purée... Spoon the purée back into the skillet and place over high heat.... Add a generous amount of currant jelly and whisk together.... Reduce to make sauce.

Serve one grouse per person... Spoon sauce over each grouse.  Serve with crispy hash browns or home fries (recommend diced onion and green peep per in home fries), and asparagus (Aldente with a splash of lemon juice), as well as the wine or beer of your choice.

Other recommendations:  follow meal with strong coffee and rich chocolate brownies and vanilla ice cream.  Post desert... Savor the evening... the company of friends and the warmth of a wood stove with the scotch (recommend Lagavulin 16 year old), wine or beer (recommend Belhaven Scotish ale) of your choice.

Also... Love up the dogs and let them sleep in front of the fire.

Enjoy!

gloag

Agree with Brad and springerguy, apples compliment grouse well.

Saute minced shallots and grouse breasts together in butter on medium to high heat to sear the meat.  Do not overcook, remove breasts from pan to let juices set.

Deglaze pan with calvados (apple brandy) and fresh cider.  Reduce liquid and add a bit of maple syrup.  Return breasts to coat them and serve.

12ette

Brie stuffed grouse with raspberry Melba.

Pound and stuff with Brie tie with butchers twine.  Brown in butter spooning butter as it browns.  Put in oven to finish.  

Make a raspberry Melba while cooking grouse.

Plate with a drizzle of Melba and wild rice.  

Cold smoke serve cold with apple pear chutney, nice appetizer.  Or serve hot smoked with said chutney and roast root veg.  

Poach then shred, add crasins, apples, celery and mayo season to taste.. Makes a nice samich.