FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

NEW Vets By State Topic

Jim Vander

In North Dakota http://www.missourivalleyvet.com in Bismark. Dr. Matt Heeb saved my dog from a bad torsion. It was a Sunday in the afternoon got a hold of him and he agreed to stay while I drove 2 hours to get there. Was in surgery quick and he stayed late with her as she always comes out of anesthesia badly. Talented, committed and caring cant ask for more.

In Chamberlain South Dakota had great luck with Middle River Vet Clinic. They have stitched my dogs up many times, sometimes pretty serious ones like a t post through shoulder. they worked with me on schedule and did a great job, they definitely understand out sporting animals.

charlo slim

West-central Oklahoma:

Dr. Joe Buxton

West Side

Snyder, OK

580-569-2323

bigjohnsd

Western SD - right off I-90 Exit 10 or Exit 8

Warren Whalen

Company:Animal Care Center of Spearfish

Address: 316 W Highway 14, Spearfish, SD 57783

Business Phone: (605) 722-5600

E-mail: cyclones84@rushmore.com

bigjohnsd

North Central SD

Hosmer Veterinary Clinic

119 W Main St

Hosmer

(605) 283-2278

Dave in Maine

3 vets I'll recommend - I've had my dogs treated by all of them.

Arlington Dog and Cat Hospital

857 County Road 699, Kearny, NJ 07032

(201) 991-3664

http://www.arlingtondogandcat.com/

Wow.  Great vets.  Don't be put off by the semi-urban location - it's near NJ 21, NJ 3 and NJ 7 - these folks know and love all kinds of dogs.  My vet was Dr. Hoey;  she was named best vet in NJ a  couple years ago and for good reason.  She understood my setters - did her residency in the midwest - and took great care of them.  Still on my speed dial.  Highly, highly recommended.

Tolland Veterinary Hospital

70 Hartford Turnpike, Tolland, CT 06084

(860) 875-5748

I had boarded my dog with a friend in central CT while working temporarily in NYC.  My dog came down with a severely inflamed toe indicative of a squamous cell carcinoma (I'd seen it before with another dog).  These vets did a wonderful job amputating the toe - it's been > 2 years and no problems.  Good prices, handled my dog with a lot of care and close to I-84.

Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

336 Gorham Road, Scarborough, Maine

207-839-7456

PHONE NUMBERS:

OFFICE 207-839-7456

FAX 207-839-5474

Open 7 days a week for appointments and 24 hours a day for emergencies.

EMERGENCIES:  

Dr. Rita

207-615-7456 or 207-741-6000  (those are pager numbers)

http://www.tendertouchmaine.com/

Good, solid vets who have a good handle on bird dogs of all kinds.  Added benefit - they are easy to find, about a mile as the crow flies from Cabelas' Scarborough.

stevehaun

Hudson, WI

David and Vicki Datt

Croix Valley Veterinary Hospital

655 O'Neil Rd

Hudson, WI  54016

715-386-9052

Great Docs!  I feel fortunate that they care for my dogs.

UncleLarry
In the Reno, NV, area:

Kings Row Pet Hospital

3653 Kings Row

Reno, NV 89503

(775) 747-1211

This is the vet office we use and I recommend.  Owner and veterinarian Mark Ditsworth is a personal friend and avid bird hunter.  He runs a setter, but I try not to hold that against him.

Another popular vet in town is Klaich Animal Hospital.

1990 South Virginia Street

Reno, NV 89502‎

(775) 826-1212

A friends wife is a vet here, and although I've never been I've heard nothing but good things about them.  

Of the two, King's Row has easier access from I80.

The emergency vet clinic in Reno is located at:

6425. S. Virginia St.

Reno, NV, 89511

(775) 851-3600

Like any emergency vet it will cost you, but sometimes its an important resource to have.  The one time I have used them the experience was about as pleasant as could be expected, given the situation (snake bite) , and the doctor was patient with my phone calls checking in throughout the night.

RI

I figured I'd add my two cents on Reno as well as back RI on Kings Row.

My setter is at Kings Row Pet Hospital as I type this.. getting stitches that were out of my league. Friendly folks and yes, the Big Doc runs a setter and he loves my pup. They're never super busy and they have relatively good access from the freeway.

I've also used the Emergency Vet and although it was expensive, they were professional, straight forward, and worked with me about my options (dog got salmon poisoning on a steelhead trip). The doc even followed up on the phone the day after I took her home.

My buddy has gone to Klaich for years and is probably going to switch vets as he says they're so busy now it's gotten a bit impersonal. Heard that from other non-hunting folks as well.

But if you're visiting the area it's a good option, even though it's smack in the center of town.

UncleLarry

North Eastern California (Eastern Plumas and Sierra counties, southern Lassen county)

Plumas Veterinary Service

Address: 81010 California 70, Beckwourth, CA 96129

Phone:(530) 832-4485

Dr. Schafer has taken care of my families animals for years. He's a good country style doc, very thorough, very reasonable prices. His hours can be kinda whacky so make sure to call ahead.

Brad Adrian

In the Sioux Falls SD area I would recommend Best Care Pet Hospital and Dr Joe Spoo. Good vet and a passionate bird hunter with 2 setters and a cocker.

http://www.bestcarepethospital.com/

caleb

Here are two I've had good luck with the past couple years.  Both are large/small animal practices with reasonable care and billing expectations (think old country vet), and skilled, experienced staff.

Southwest Minnesota:

Cottonwood Veterinary Clinic

2250 Minnesota 60  

Windom

(507) 831-1473

(Just east of the Phat Pheasant on 60)

Northwest Minnesota:

Red Lake Falls Veterinary Clinic

10044 205th St SW

Red Lake Falls

(218) 253-2080

(On Highway 32, just south of town)

Does anyone know of a good, old school vet within a reasonable drive of the Minneapolis-St. Paul area?  

COCidermaker

Great Vet in NE Kansas if anyone is ever hunting up that way. She has been around hunting and hunting dogs her whole life and really knows what she is doing on all levels of Vet medicine. She is at the Seneca Veterinary Clinic in Seneca Kansas right along hwy 36.

Jessica Stallbaumer

609 Industrial Dr

Seneca, KS 66538

(785) 336-2456

Dave in Maine

3 vets I'll recommend - I've had my dogs treated by all of them.

Arlington Dog and Cat Hospital

857 County Road 699, Kearny, NJ 07032

(201) 991-3664

http://www.arlingtondogandcat.com/

Wow.  Great vets.  Don't be put off by the semi-urban location - it's near NJ 21, NJ 3 and NJ 7 - these folks know and love all kinds of dogs.  My vet was Dr. Hoey;  she was named best vet in NJ a  couple years ago and for good reason.  She understood my setters - did her residency in the midwest - and took great care of them.  Still on my speed dial.  Highly, highly recommended.

Tolland Veterinary Hospital

70 Hartford Turnpike, Tolland, CT 06084

(860) 875-5748

I had boarded my dog with a friend in central CT while working temporarily in NYC.  My dog came down with a severely inflamed toe indicative of a squamous cell carcinoma (I'd seen it before with another dog).  These vets did a wonderful job amputating the toe - it's been > 2 years and no problems.  Good prices, handled my dog with a lot of care and close to I-84.

Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

336 Gorham Road, Scarborough, Maine

207-839-7456

PHONE NUMBERS:

OFFICE 207-839-7456

FAX 207-839-5474

Open 7 days a week for appointments and 24 hours a day for emergencies.

EMERGENCIES:  

Dr. Rita

207-615-7456 or 207-741-6000  (those are pager numbers)

http://www.tendertouchmaine.com/

Good, solid vets who have a good handle on bird dogs of all kinds.  Added benefit - they are easy to find, about a mile as the crow flies from Cabelas' Scarborough.

I am removing my recommendation of Tender Touch Vet Hospital in Scarborough.  They are supporting the anti-hunting referendum petition drive currently ongoing here in Maine, by providing a table and facilities for gathering petition signatures.  I'll put up a post on the referendum in another thread (where it's more topically appropriate), but since this thread pertains to vets who are going to treat your hunting dogs, I think you an spend your money better elsewhere.  I am currently shopping for another vet, one who's not supporting anti-hunting initiatives.

sxsneubaum
Western North Dakota Beach Veterinary Clinic.  Speck found a porcupine, they did a good job, were QUITE affordable and were great with the butthole of a dog.

Mundo

I've used these folks in Pierre, SD

Oahe Veterinary Clinic

603 West Highway 14

Fort Pierre, SD 57532

(605) 223-2562

quills in soft tissue, palate inside mouth, after hours trip to vet.

About 100 removed.

Mundo

I've used this guy when south of San Antonio.

Anthony Allen

Pearsal Veterinary Hospital

830-334-8054.

hypoglycemic collapse.

And, the guy sez he treats about a snakebite a week during hunting season.