Sign in to follow this  
jbeck

2013 UJ Fly Swap

jbeck

Hi gang!

I wanted to try and get a jump on the start of the swap this year, in order to give more people a chance to participate if they would like.  The format will be the same as prior years: trout flies - drys, wets, nymphs and streamers are all fair game.  We try not to duplicate flies, so we'll use this thread as a way to keep track of who is doing what.

These are the general rules:

- Each tier will tie 1 fly for each participant, plus one extra - the extra fly will be donated to Brad for use how he sees fit (perhaps an auction)

- Commitment deadline - Saturday, January 19th (this is when people need to commit to tying and declare what they are tying).

- Completion deadline - Flies should be completed and in the mail to me by March 1st.  I'll PM the participants my mailing address.  Flies will be mailed to the tiers as soon as possible after they have all be received.

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.

This year, I am going to attempt to take photos of each entry before mailing them back so I can post them on the site.  You can opt out of this if you would like.

Regarding the flies, you get bonus points for using material from an upland bird or duck that you harvested.  Bonus points aren't redeemable anywhere, but they are cool to have.  Also, bonus points will be awarded for flies with cool names or designs.  Again, not redeemable, but good for bragging rights!

There is only one really firm piece on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you.  I live in the city, and the post office experience here is horrendous.  I just can't go and by postage for people that forget.  I need to be able to drop the packages off in the box.  So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes!

I'll kick the list off.  I'll be tying some sort of terrestrial pattern this year.

jbeck - terrestrial (probably ant, beetle or hopper)

JK SE PA

John,

I'm in again.  I have no idea what I'll tie yet.  But I have time for that.  Count me in though.

Jeff

bmeador
I'm in this year.  I'll tie my Smith River Green Rock Worm.

LostintheUplands

In

I have enough setter hair floating around the house. She's a tri-color, so something interesting may come out of it....

john mcg

I'm in again--not sure what I'll tie, but it will have local feathers.

:-)

Escopeton

Okay, okay...  I have been trying to stay away from this post but something always pulls me back.

I am in.  I will probably tie a CDC Comparadun in BWO from the duck's I have shot in the past.

wkburns
I will be in this year.

Grifish
I'm in!  I've no idea what I'll tie, but I'll up my game from last year!

Trappercase
I'm in.  I will choose a fly asap

jbeck

This is off to a very good start!  Here's what we have so far:

jbeck - terrestrial (probably ant, beetle or hopper)

JK SE PA - (I recommend tying some of those really expensive streamers you just talked me into buying!  :p  )

bmeador - Smith River Green Rock Worm

LostintheUplands - something with a lot of setter hair in it!

john mcg - something with local feathers

Escopeton - CDC Comparadun in BWO

wkburns - ???

Grifish - ???

Trappercase - ???

ckfowler180
Really rusty but was just kicking myself to tie some flies so this will help. No idea what but count me in.

Trappercase
I will be tying a Renegade

HuntersDad

Just getting started in tying.  I took a beginners class today at the local fly shop.  Learned a bunch and tied a decent couple wooly buggers.  Im not comfortable enough to try jump in this year, but expect something from me next year.  

Looking forward to all the pics.

Josh

Field Grade

Count me in.

Haven't been at the vise for a few months, but after Christmas will dust it off.

Not sure what I'll tie yet... will advise later.

Rob

LostintheUplands

Just getting started in tying.  I took a beginners class today at the local fly shop.  Learned a bunch and tied a decent couple wooly buggers.  Im not comfortable enough to try jump in this year, but expect something from me next year.  

Looking forward to all the pics.

Josh

Josh

Don't let being a noob stop you. Jump on in, IMO, swaps are more about fishing some flies with a nice story behind them, not about scoring a perfectly tied fly.

Although, that will happen, there are some great tiers on here.

Matt