• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
jbeck

2013 UJ Fly Swap

jbeck

This is shaping up nicely!  Here we are now:

jbeck - terrestrial (probably ant, beetle or hopper)

JK SE PA - ?

bmeador - Smith River Green Rock Worm

LostintheUplands - something with a lot of setter hair in it!

john mcg - something with local feathers

Escopeton - CDC Comparadun in BWO

wkburns - ?

Grifish - ?

Trappercase - Renegade

ckfowler180 - ?

Field Grade - ?

HuntersDad, I agree with everyone else.  Tying ability is NOT a prerequisite for participating (or even running one of these  :p ).  If it were, they would have bounced me 3 years ago!  A great way to learn is to take one of the basic flies you are learning in the class, and practice them over and over.  Pretty soon, you have enough flies for the swap anyway, so send them in and in return, you get to see a bunch of other flies that the members here tied, and get ideas on what you can do next.  Really, give it some consideration!

john mcg

I'm thinking maybe for fun to tie some Royal Coachman wets.

Would you guys fish it?

They are so darn pretty! And have been known to catch a fish.

:)

HuntersDad

Yall convinced me to give it a go.  I will try either a elk hair caddis or a pheasant tail nymph.  Taking another free class this weekend at the local fly shop will learn to tie one of those patterns.

Josh

Escopeton

Josh,

Go for it.  Both the Elk Hair Caddis and the Pheasant tail are good pattens to tie and are effective on the water.

Rusty Trigger
I had a good time with it last year, I would like to do it agian.  Fly is still to be determined, as I have not harvested any game this year.

I'll play if you will have me, I'm not a great tier and the flies aren’t always pretty but they work ok. I will tie what I call a "Gackle", it is a sedge that I worked up for the Missouri river that used feathers from birds taken around Gackle ND.

jbeck

I really love the responses this year!  We are having a great turnout.  This is where we are now:

jbeck - terrestrial (probably ant, beetle or hopper)

JK SE PA - ?

bmeador - Smith River Green Rock Worm

LostintheUplands - something with a lot of setter hair in it!

john mcg - Royal Coachmen Wet

Escopeton - CDC Comparadun in BWO

wkburns - ?

Grifish - ?

Trappercase - Renegade

ckfowler180 - ?

Field Grade - ?

Hunters Dad - ?

Rusty Trigger - ?

123 - Gackle

As you other guys figure out what you will tie, just shoot me a note (or post here) and I'll update it.  Feel free to tie whatever you like - using gamebird feathers is fun, but no one is going to complain if you don't.  Go with what you have and can tie.

LostintheUplands

Based on how my season has progressed so far, I'm afraid the March deadline may have to be extended, ifn I want to tie with game bird feathers....  :down:

Lately I've been obsessing over soft hackles, so I'm thinking of offering a size 14 or 16 soft hackle with a nice mixture of tri-color setter for a body.

Thanks for hosting Jbeck.

wkburns
I will know what I am tying in the next few weeks. Depends if I can get into a few Huns again as I never saved any feathers earlier this year.

jbeck
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing with their tying.  I need to sit down and get focused.  Fortunately, I have some overnight shifts at work coming up.  I should be able to sneak the vise and some material into the office.

wkburns
I have two more weeks to get some Huns, so still waiting. I do have a pheasant cape I kept and a rabbit mask from a cottontail I shot last week so I am set even if I dont get any Huns.

HuntersDad
I decided on pheasant tail nymphs.  I'm really new so please don't be disappointed when ya'll see these.

JK SE PA
I think I'll be tying some type of nymph or soft hackle this year since the only bird pelts I've kept are a hen mallard and a hen pheasant.

All the "Christmas gift" flies are done, I will take a short break and start on gackles

john mcg

I have not yet had my mind on tying.

It will come soon. Its to be savored as the next bit of fun sufficiently after bird season, so as not to crowd.

:)