• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
bosco mctavitch

Patterning for stock fit

wheil17
Great advice and sound reasoning I suppose. The cast makes sense but I am not sure I can wrap my mind around the drop rationale.

I too will have to think on it.

I know a guy who has his field grouse guns modified with a half inch more drop to his face vs his target guns. His rationale is that he accepts the fact that he will often not get his cheek weld as high grouse hunting as he would target shooting.

He's a professional shooter.

Bonasa

With regard to barrel regulation, I had a few issues with a gun delivered out of specification so I took the gun over to Fieldsport and had Bryan help me analyze the problems.

We started with barrel regulation and I noticed he didn't shoot from a rest. I mentioned that he had taught me to shoot from a rest in the past and he responded: "Those were the dark ages." He expanded indicating that he has found that this science of shooting is fluid and dynamic and that shooting from a rest wouldn't take such factors into account.  He now simply aims at the target to check barrel regulation, allowing recoil and any other natural force to affect the pattern placement.  

I think that makes sense conceptually.  Any opinions?  At any rate, I've been performing barrel regulation tests that way ever since.