FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cooter Brown

Photobucket

Paddler

I opted out of the new PB for the time being.  Have never really noticed a quality issue, though I don't pay a ton of attention to quality displayed on my computer screen.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg  

I opted out because of the increased clicks required to post photos, but it's not a deal breaker for me.  I'll probably stay with the new version, as I think they'll get the bugs worked out.

Greg Hartman
I could see image quality issue's with Photobucket (especially sharpness) so I put it to a test. I took several same photo's hosted by each site & did a side by side comparison and let the viewer here at UJ choose the image for quality. Smugmug won everytime hands down

Wow!  That's an enormous difference.  Thanks!

redrockin7
I could see image quality issue's with Photobucket (especially sharpness) so I put it to a test. I took several same photo's hosted by each site & did a side by side comparison and let the viewer here at UJ choose the image for quality. Smugmug won everytime hands down

Wow!  That's an enormous difference.  Thanks!

Wow, noticable difference even to my not so trained eye...

I hate the new PB and I've been trying the "new" for a month or maybe 3 now. It sucks... I am going to look into this SmugMug thing.

Skybuster
Well, I guess I'm in the minority about the change. I've no problem downloading, posting, or resizing with the new version. As far as quality I'd agree Smugmug reproduces with better quality, but I'm not a pro and and too cheap to pay for the difference.

Paddler
Over on the 16 gauge forum they mention Hunt101 as an alternative to PB.  I'm too cheap to pay for Smug Mug. :)

Brad Eden
Given Photobucket is a free photo storage service how do they make money? I don't have an account so can't see the innards. Are there ads and stuff?

ThomGordon
Yep, ad's a plenty if your not paying.

ThomGordon

I'm too cheap to pay for Smug Mug.

Your a freakin Doctor???

Cooter Brown

If you use Smugmug all your pictures will look as good as Tom's.

That's worth anybody's sixty bucks.

Ben Hong
I use Picasa, it's free. Also it has more features than I can learn, but easy enough for me to operate and enjoy.

casts_by_fly

smugmug is $25 a year.  I just reupped mine.  I used to use PB but a friend bought me a year of smugmug 3 years ago as a birthday gift.  I've since not used PB for a long time.  SM has better display algorithims apparently and doesn't compress jpegs at all.  Facebook and PB do as sometimes it shows quite significantly (as per Thom above).  For 800 px website use where image quality isn't the primer criteria and where you're doing the resizing yourself then you can get by with PB or FB.  If you're using it to share high quality pictures and want to know that what they see is what you see, then SM will serve better.

thanks

rick

Paddler

I'm too cheap to pay for Smug Mug.

Your a freakin Doctor???

Yep.  It's just a matter of priorities.  If my goal was to sell photos, I'd be willing to pay for the highest quality display available.  But I'm not, so PB is adequate for my needs.  The photos above are 1280 pixels wide, and I think the quality is acceptable.  Here's another:

IMG_0262_zpsa7eda02b.jpg

Tom, I'll send you a couple of photos if you like that you can post up here through both SM and PB if you like.  I'd be interested in seeing more examples of the differences between the two.  I really didn't see all that much difference in you examples on my new Dell XPS 15 laptop with their full HD display.

Becassier

OK, so I go to my Photobucket account and see the following:

"It's time to make the switch. Hurry! We're only 17 days away from moving over to the new site. Get started with your new Photobucket and lock in your bonus storage today!"

My question is: If the switch is inevitable - why not just do it and get the "bonus storage"?

OH Grouser

I've been muddling around with the new version of PB last night and this morning...

One thing I found that may help:

On the drop down menu under your user name, click 'user settings', then 'albums' and you can scroll down to a check box to turn on 'easy linking mode' which puts the IMG code back under each photo.

Maybe some of you already figured this out, but it may help someone. I don't have much experience with PB and figured they would change everything about the time I started to get comfortable with it.

One thing I can't find...is there a way to resize all your photos at one time, or do I have to resize each one individually?

Roger

North Dakota Hntr
I've been muddling around with the new version of PB last night and this morning...

One thing I found that may help:

On the drop down menu under your user name, click 'user settings', then 'albums' and you can scroll down to a check box to turn on 'easy linking mode' which puts the IMG code back under each photo.

Maybe some of you already figured this out, but it may help someone. I don't have much experience with PB and figured they would change everything about the time I started to get comfortable with it.

One thing I can't find...is there a way to resize all your photos at one time, or do I have to resize each one individually?

Roger

Thanks for the tips on how to use the new photobucket. I probably won't screw with it until I'm forced and all of these tips with help ease that process. I am very challenged when it comes to such things.

Anymore helpfull tips would be much appreciated.

Craig