FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
rhett owens

Hunting jacket

rhett owens

I'm looking for a hunting jacket. I'll wear it when its cold or training dogs, I normally wear a shirt and strap vest hunting. Khaki and blaze, game pouch, D rings on chest,  some decent pockets and med weight (it doesn't stay much below 40 around here for long). Does not have to be waterproof.

Any advice on a decent one?

Hunshatt
I like the Orvis tech jacket. My gear set up is similar to yours

redrockin7

Normally wear layers (usually Bean shirt on top) under a Quil strap vest. Usually can add enough layers to keep warm enough while walking, but I did/do have a Ptarmigan II Columbia coat but did not wear it at all this past season. Nice coat though.

In late season, Hunshatt was able to pick me up some of the LL Bean softshells (tan and blaze) for a great deal and I love them. I've been wearing them while running/training the dog on weekends between work and will wear them on the colder days next season...

Hunshatt

Rhett,

I forgot about those... got a few more if you wear a lg or an xl... (I'm a gear whore, and can't pass up a bargain...  :down: )

T Roberts
PM sent..... :p

Hunshatt
nothing in the in box....

Camoman
I too like the Orvis shell but the Filson has nice pockets! I hope someone can chime in on it when they get it.

rhett owens
nothing in the in box....

I resent it this AM.

redrockin7

That Filson coat looks nice - but not any nicer than the LL Bean ones HS got me. The Bean might actually have more features - an extra chest pocket the way it looks and the Filson doesn't mention a zipped game pouch in the rear which the Bean has. I really like the front bean pockets with magnetic closure and they have shell loops inside too (if the Filson has it, not mentioned by Uplanders?).

The fact the Bean was a mere 20-30% of the cost (yeah, they were on clearance but still) was nice too. Even at full cost of the Bean (which was $139 I believe), it has more for $100 less.

Bonasa
That Filson coat looks nice - but not any nicer than the LL Bean ones HS got me. The Bean might actually have more features - an extra chest pocket the way it looks and the Filson doesn't mention a zipped game pouch in the rear which the Bean has. I really like the front bean pockets with magnetic closure and they have shell loops inside too (if the Filson has it, not mentioned by Uplanders?).

The fact the Bean was a mere 20-30% of the cost (yeah, they were on clearance but still) was nice too. Even at full cost of the Bean (which was $139 I believe), it has more for $100 less.

The shell idea to me is to reduce bulk (common in traditional hunting jackets) provide for freedom of movement to the shooter, provide a waterproof barrier for wet conditions, allow for layering underneath to handle a range of weather.  Worn with a strap vest, there is no need for extensive pockets or game bags IMO.  At least, that is what I like about the Upland Shell when compared with traditional hunting jackets.  

All of my waxed cotton, and Gore-tex hunting jackets have been relegated to the closet and mothballs since the advent of the Upland Shell.

Cooter Brown

PM sent.

Not really but it sounded like fun and all the cool kids are doing it.

T Roberts
PM sent..... :p

Never mind....not interested.

redrockin7

The shell idea to me is to reduce bulk (common in traditional hunting jackets) provide for freedom of movement to the shooter, provide a waterproof barrier for wet conditions, allow for layering underneath to handle a range of weather.  Worn with a strap vest, there is no need for extensive pockets or game bags IMO.  At least, that is what I like about the Upland Shell when compared with traditional hunting jackets.  

All of my waxed cotton, and Gore-tex hunting jackets have been relegated to the closet and mothballs since the advent of the Upland Shell.

Fair enough and I understand that logic.

With that said, the LL Bean coat is definitely not bulky. Honrstly, I'd say no more bulky that any other 'shell'. If an extra zipper chest pocket on the other side and a very small, dual-zipper type, game pouch on the butt constitutes bulk, then I guess, but its not a full-on game pouch I was talking about or anything.

And, yes I will wear my strap vest over it at times, but its nice to have the option not to have to. When I run the dog and do not need a pouch (b/c not killing anything) I just wear the shell. However, the pouch on the Bean is big enough for a couple woodcock and maybe a grouse. Even that would be tight, but it gives you the option to wear it without the strap vest and have a functional coat with everything you need.  With far less bulk than the traditional waxed cotton, canvas field type coats...

I guess you could also say that the coat alone, is definitely less bulk than any coat (evne a shell) + a vest over it...