2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bosco mctavitch

new photobucket SUCKS!!

Briarscratch

I haven't had to use the Web version much, but the iPhone app has been pretty okay.

Now I'm afraid to log in from my computer.

OH Grouser

Greg...one other "feature" (if you can call it that) I found is that by holding down the Ctrl key and scolling with your mouse, it zooms in / out to show more or fewer thumbnails on the screen. Zoom in too far and you loose parts of the photos - wonder if that may be your issue?

Hmmmm.  Thanks for the help.  I tried that and what it does is expand or shrink the entire page, not just the thumbnails and you are still stuck (GGGRR) with sloooowly scrolling through an album with hundreds of pics to find a particular pic.

Well, apparently the Ctrl / Scroll to zoom works when using Internet Explorer period. I just never knew that and stumbled on it while playing around with PB. :blush:

I'm somewhat lucky, I only have about 40 photos on PB and registered there just so I could post photos on UJ. If it got bad enough it wouldn't be hard for me to dump it and go somewhere else. I feel for you guys with hundreds of pics on PB and hope it gets better for you.

Roger

Brad Eden
I know it's a hassle to switch to another photo host but PLEASE TELL ME you PB folks saved the original/raw digital photos or copies to a harddrive or something? If not then that was not very smart.... Oo.gif

Greg Hartman
I know it's a hassle to switch to another photo host but PLEASE TELL ME you PB folks saved the original/raw digital photos or copies to a harddrive or something? If not then that was not very smart.... Oo.gif

I can't speak for the others, but for each pic I keep (I discard the majority), I have the original out-of-camera file, the full-size Adobe Photoshop file and the shrunken JPEG that is sent to PB and then used for posting.  I also back everything up periodically on the hard drive of an older computer I no longer use except for that.

So, losing my PB account won't cause me to lose my pics, but it will make things a realy PITA for a while because I often "illustrate" a post here with a pic that might be an older one.

but PLEASE TELL ME you PB folks saved the original/raw digital photos or copies to a harddrive or something? If not then that was not very smart.... Oo.gif

Does Scott G. still have to answer this quetion, since you already did for him?

Just wondering...

Anyway, I have all of my photo files backed up on Zip-drive, and on several different lap-tops...and at work.

So, I think I'm good...and smart as you would prefer...lol

Brian.

North Dakota Hntr

I am in no mood to screw around with this. May be a while until I post anymore photos. When I finally do I'll most likely use a different place than photobucket.

IF, I could actually call and talk with someone there I would be more interested in trying but, like Greg, I am a dinosaur and liked it better when places actually tried to be helpful.

Craig

WI Brookie Guy

Yep, on an external hard drive and I do periodical backups on CDs.  The only photos that ever go on PB are for PE's here and my fly fishing boards.

North Dakota Hntr

Yep, on an external hard drive and I do periodical backups on CDs.  The only photos that ever go on PB are for PE's here and my fly fishing boards.

Same here. I haven't lost anything but I'm sure glad I decided to do that sharptail PE before the new PB started or I wouldn't even have tried. Those are all old pics that I already had in PB and it was easy for me just to go back and page through the photos and pick the ones I wanted to use. No way in hell could I do that now.

Most years I like to do a recap of the season around this time of year but it looks like that won't be happening this year.

Craig

Brad Eden
Buck up Craig, find another photo host site. We can't go long without your stuff.

Cooter Brown

Buck up Craig, find another photo host site. We can't go long without your stuff.

Agreed.

Given the quality of your photos, you should be backing them up to an external hard drive or some web service, which would be better because they will always be there in case of something catastrophic at your home.

Hard drives with huge capacities are cheap.

When I post something to the web or to send for email, I make a smaller file with Photoshop, and save that file to a folder called "Resized for Email and Web."  Periodically I save that folder to my external drive, so everything I've posted on Photobucket or sent by email is in one folder, and backed up, properly sized.

ThomGordon
I still can use my Photobucket acct no prob. Quality in my case went south with new uploads for some reason so I do not upload anything new on the PB site. Tried to remedy with PB customer service to no solution & gave up. From time to time I will use my PB photo's but it's starting to get slim to none these days. If it's important to ya, go with a better host site, the downside is you will have to pay the piper but it's probably worth it in the end

North Dakota Hntr

Agreed.

Given the quality of your photos, you should be backing them up to an external hard drive or some web service, which would be better because they will always be there in case of something catastrophic at your home.

Hard drives with huge capacities are cheap.

When I post something to the web or to send for email, I make a smaller file with Photoshop, and save that file to a folder called "Resized for Email and Web."  Periodically I save that folder to my external drive, so everything I've posted on Photobucket or sent by email is in one folder, and backed up, properly sized.

I do back them up. They are stored in widows live photo gallery and I back them up on an external hard drive so it's not losing my pictures that I'm concerned about. They are also still on photobucket.

My main complaint is,,,, lets say I wanted to do a photo essay on UJ of this last season. I have them stored in one album, "2012 Hunting" on PB. With the old photobucket, I would start on page 1 and page through, posting the pictures I wanted, cronologically, until I reached the last page. Relatively easy to do. With the new PB, I have to scroll all the way back to the begining of the season, which would take hours as slow as it is and as many photos as I have in that album and then, scroll back as I post those pics. A real PITA!!! and very, very time consuming.

If I started in a new photo host site, first, I would have to learn how to use the site and then I would have to move all of the pictures from WLPG to the new site, resize them and then, post them on UJ. That's a lot of work for this old guy, particularily with as many pictures as I like to post. A season recap would end up being a lot. :(

I don't have photoshop but can probably resize in WLPG but haven't been able to figure out how to. Then I don't know if I could save that to a seperate "resized for the web" folder. Mostly because of my limited technical capabilities.

I don't understand why PB would make it so much more difficult to get to all of your pictures in an album. Maybe there is a way to do that but again, it's beyond me.

Once I start fresh, weather that be in the new PB with much, much smaller albums or a different host site it should work out but, for me to try and do a recap of this season as things are now is just too difficult. I certainly can go through my pics here at home and re live the season through photos with friends etc. We can even do that on the TV, which is kind of fun, but it's too difficult to share them here, for now. As I'm sure you know, it's something I really enjoy doing but my frustration with the new PB has me in a bad space. Don't feel like %$*&^ with it.

Maybe we'll have a spring blizzard or something and I'll spend a day scrolling through that album but I doubt it.

Thanks for the suggestions Cooter and if anybody figures out a simpler way to start at the beginning of an album and get them posted up here let me know.

Oh, they also tell me I have the free storage for 11.5GB and am full, when I have payed them for the increased storage of 20GB.

Craig

North Dakota Hntr
I still can use my Photobucket acct no prob. Quality in my case went south with new uploads for some reason so I do not upload anything new on the PB site. Tried to remedy with PB customer service to no solution & gave up. From time to time I will use my PB photo's but it's starting to get slim to none these days. If it's important to ya, go with a better host site, the downside is you will have to pay the piper but it's probably worth it in the end

Thom, I don't know how you organized your albums in PB but mine are quite large with a lot of photos. All of my hunting photos from 2012 are in one album. This worked just fine with the old photo bucket but with the new photo bucket,,,, Let's say I wanted to post a picture from the beginning of this season, hunting in MT with MT Rookie, I would have to scroll through all of the pictures in that album to get to it and it ain't fast.

Do you know of another way to do that?

I have no problem paying. Hell, I was payin PB for increase storage. Yes, I store a lot of photos there.

Craig

Cooter Brown

Well that's a bummer, Craig.  I always look forward to your end of year posts but I certainly understand.  I don't have nearly the number of pictures you do--not even three hundred--but I've still cut back on posting pics because PB is so crushingly slow.

To some degree they've got you by the short hairs, knowing what a chore it would be to switch.

North Dakota Hntr

I'm done whining!! :blush:

Craig