FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Peent

Google Earth and GPS interaction

Peent

Good, you guys beat me to the quick and dirty method I was alluding to,  I won't go over it in detail unless someone requests it.  

I use a Garmin Map60CSx model.  My luck at the .kmz file method is hit or miss it seems.  I have older Map76 models that I couldn't get it to work on consistently.  I have performed the .gpx method on most Garmins, even my wifes Nuvi.  

And the gpx. method works well to import some public land survey lines that I will go over in the coming days if interest holds.  

I can also talk about moving data from arcview files into GE if anyone would want that info.  But if you have arcview you probably already understand it.

If anyone needs help with their Garmin and don't have the time to get earn degree from the manual, I can help with that too.  Something as simple as changing the waypoints from those big annoying blue flags to a smaller pin point can make using the gps easier.

Peent
Now that said, How do I get all of those "flush waypoints" from BC onto my Astro?

Did you try my instructions from step 6 on?  That should work.

Peent

Anyone interested in laying down some age class or timber type polygons on your gps or onto google earth?  

Once you start delving into GIS (geographic information systems) the sky is the limit.

Cooper Hill Hunter

Great topic! I heartily recommend the My Tracks App. For andriod users you download my tracs and google earth. I have a Motorolla Droid Razor Max in an otter box case.

Battery time is all day. I put it in my upper zipper pouch of my Mothers vest.  When I start my hunt I hit record.  Thats it.

It overlays my route with google earth automatically.  I like having my mileage and elevation tracked.  I actually found a way to link two of my hunting covers together in a 5 mile loop.   :)

Cooter Brown
Anyone interested in laying down some age class or timber type polygons on your gps or onto google earth?  

Once you start delving into GIS (geographic information systems) the sky is the limit.

Would love to hear more about this.  Take it as far as you want.

Lucky Dog

Yes Please!!!

CheVet

Some good info here as well

HERE