2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MUSTANGER7

How many use the IVOMEC (Ivermectin) for heartworm

MUSTANGER7
Wondering how many here us the IVOMEC (ivermectin) that is marketed for cattle and swine to heart worm treatment of their dogs? We've used it for 10yrs now with great results, using at rate of 1/10ml per 10lbs. Most vets will not agree if they are selling heart worm treatments, did talk with two county type vets who have looked it to it and its the exact same things as what Heartguard uses.  Semper Fi

john mcg

Yes. For a few years, now.

Roger Brown (AyA) convinced me.

jeffstally
Yes, for about 3 years now.  Paul Ober at Celtic told me about it.

ep3

Have used it for longer than I can remember with good results. Its available at tractor supply. I also used to get it shipped via the internet,if I recall by a company that went by "Tally HO" or maybe that was the brand on the bottle.

Never had a problem with it. Make sure you get the dosage right though,based on the weight of your dog.

Keith Rich
Wondering how many here us the IVOMEC (ivermectin) that is marketed for cattle and swine to heart worm treatment of their dogs? We've used it for 10yrs now with great results, using at rate of 1/10ml per 10lbs. Most vets will not agree if they are selling heart worm treatments, did talk with two county type vets who have looked it to it and its the exact same things as what Heartguard uses.  Semper Fi

I've used Ivermectin that past few years myself, but at a rate of 1/100 ml per 10 pounds of body weight. How do you administer it to your dogs? Most of my dogs will take it soaked into bread, but I have a Pointer who will spit that out every time. I have to squirt it into her mouth between her cheek and gum.

Keith

DAP

I have been considering something besides the fairly expensive Heartguard.  I went to the Tractor supply website and looked up their Ivomec 1% injection for Cattle and Swine.  This is their quote:

Warnings: Use only in cattle and swine. This product should not be used in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result.

Tractor supply also advertises Ivomec® Eprinex® (Eprinomectin) Pour-On for Beef & Dairy Cattle, 1 L, which is administered by applying it topically along the spine.  

Which do you use?  How do you administer?

grouseandtater
I've use it for about a year now with no ill result, I use the 1/10ml per 10lbs. I have many many friend with hounds who swear by it also. Plus Lion Country Supply sales it, they just can't advertise it for the dogs but it is in the catalog so there must be something to it.

caleb

Here's what you need to know:

ACCCB930-3A57-4EEB-8DD9-7243C463B599-494

D33A70D2-2930-4BF4-B4AF-BDB44776EF20-494

6CDCFB2E-097E-4D1A-9321-9F0E6558F65A-494

C71C3135-E0FB-4FB0-868D-1629C690B97A-494

E1629724-F279-47D4-BB80-51D695868BD6-494

6BD28077-A301-4E32-8154-7819902EC74C-494

081D1ED2-0BE9-434A-8F2B-C7CDF5EB405B-494

PartridgeCartridge
I use it. Petey gets a half cc/50 units every dose. He weighs 50 lbs.

Ray Gubernat

The "commonly used" dosage of ivermectin is 1/10 of a cc of a 1% solution of Ivermectin for Inj.(cattle and swine), per 10 pounds of dog weight.  I wojuld use the Ivermectin for injection because you know that there ain't much in there besides the drug and water.

The reason for the disclaimer on the label is that , at those levels, Ivermectin is deadly toxic to herding breeds of dogs ...like collies.  If you have a mixed breed dog and do not know what the misx is...be warned.

RayG

trust me
I use Ivermectin for my setters but my vet told me to use a substantially higher dose than what is recommended here.  I've used it for a couple years with no problems.

PartridgeCartridge
The "commonly used" dosage of ivermectin is 1/10 of a cc of a 1% solution of Ivermectin for Inj.(cattle and swine), per 10 pounds of dog weight.  I wojuld use the Ivermectin for injection because you know that there ain't much in there besides the drug and water.

The reason for the disclaimer on the label is that , at those levels, Ivermectin is deadly toxic to herding breeds of dogs ...like collies.  If you have a mixed breed dog and do not know what the misx is...be warned.

RayG

That's correct from what I understand also. It is also the reason that the over the counter meds ar often not effective for control as they formulate they ingredients to the least possible toxicicity level.

HuntersDad
I just started doing it in the above dosage after a friend recommended it.  It's certainly cheaper than paying for the heartguard for 3 dogs!

Ray Gubernat
I use Ivermectin for my setters but my vet told me to use a substantially higher dose than what is recommended here.  I've used it for a couple years with no problems.

The dose of ivomec needed for heartworm prophylaxis is

miniscule.  If memory serves it is something like 273 micrograms per lb. of dog weight in products like Heartguard.

A larger dose of Ivomec may be useful for controlling other parasites, but is not necessary for heartworm prevention.

RayG

SLR

The advice above is pretty much accurate. I think the commercial dog heart worm preventatives use 272 micrograms for dogs 50 to 100 lb. The higher doses written about in this thread are ok in normal dogs and as mentioned the higher doses can be toxic for animals with the Mdr1 mutation. This Mdr1 gene (multidrug resistance gene 1) makes a protein that is involved in the transport of various compounds out of the cell, so when it is defective, toxic levels of the drug may be reached in cells, especially in the CNS.

Now the problem with the advice you get over the web without thorough research is that it can be incomplete. It is not only herding breeds that can have the Mdr1 mutation.  Here is a list of other possibilities:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/breeds.aspx

There is a genetic test for this genotype, if there is any doubt. Otherwise, you might be smart to stick with the low and safe heartworm prevention dose (6 microgram per kg body weight), if your dog's breed might be at risk.