• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
DennisMcFeely

$50 nippers

DennisMcFeely

Apparently some company "Abel" has brought to market some fishing nippers for fifty smackeroos, ONE HUNDRED if you want one with fishy scales.  Wow!

Don't think the boss will be putting one of those in my christmas stocking, think I'll stick to the ole' dimestore nail clippers!

rich guy nippers

Escopeton
And, the people who buy them think that they are real fly rodders.  Okay, whatever...

RookieEP
My brother got one for Xmas uses it all the time when fishing trout or bass.  They are really nice.  My brothers got my dad one.  None of the artsy fish scenes.  Just because someone has the money to afford nice stuff does not make them an ****** or wannabe.  A tank of gas cost more... I have some pricey fly fish stuff but you won't see me turning my nose at anyone for what they own.  A jerk on the water is still a jerk dont matter if they own a rod from $ to $$$$.

DennisMcFeely
They sure do look nice.

Briarscratch
Abel has always made really high end fishing gear. Most of it seems geared towards the Permit and Tarpon crowd.  I hear 1%ers light their Cubans with $50 bills.  Maybe Rook can confirm.

Pete F

You can get Orvised up in any outdoor sport nowadays.

Just remember if you buy the right stuff at least you will look like you know what you're doing.

A number of years ago a wealthy man bought a neighboring farm. He moved the Harvestores silos so that they were in a row, built a new barn, remodeled the farmhouse and bought new tractors and other equipment.

My neighbor, a farmer (since retired to the Virgin Islands), asked the equipment dealer, Why did you sell him those tractors? The salesman said: Dave, so you can buy them used.

Over&Under

IMHO fly fishing stuff is generally WAY over priced.....especially graphite rods.

I tend to be more utilitarian in my approach to fly fishing, but I'm a cheap bastage anyway.

gselkhunter

Just remember: Those that can do!

Wish I had a Cuban!

RookieEP
Abel has always made really high end fishing gear. Most of it seems geared towards the Permit and Tarpon crowd.  I hear 1%ers light their Cubans with $50 bills.  Maybe Rook can confirm.

I don't smoke nor am I rich just your regular middle class. I save my pennies (literally) try to buy the best stuff I can afford.  I do own 2 Abel reels a super 8 w/ a spare spool and a super 12.  I take extremely well care for them and even through the super 8 is around 10 years old there is only 2 small marks on it.  The super 8 has caught brown/rainbow trout, smallies, largemouth, steelhead, king salmon, bonefish, permit and baby tarpon.  The super 12 is like 5 years old and looks brand new and only has caught baby tarpon…  I've fought and jumped some adult tarpon but have yet to land one.  Of course the super 12 has not got fished as much being I live in MO and its my tarpon reel.  A couple of fly reels that go for a few hundred is nothing in cost when compared to shotguns and big money.  Abel reels are made in America and I feel are some of the best made fly reels in the U.S.  I've long been a fisherman way before birddogs.  

I guess its kind like a hunter with an old 870 that thumbs their nose at the guy with the $$$$ British side lock for no reason other than the guy has more money.  Who is the real snob here?  

Envy one of the deadly sins.

I'm guilty as well.  On my most recent fishing trip to the Keys a couple of weeks ago, I've yet to do a report.  I see people with big money, probably their 3rd home, $40 G flat boats, and million dollar yachts.  Fun to dream.

RookieEP
You can get Orvised up in any outdoor sport nowadays.

Just remember if you buy the right stuff at least you will look like you know what you're doing.

A number of years ago a wealthy man bought a neighboring farm. He moved the Harvestores silos so that they were in a row, built a new barn, remodeled the farmhouse and bought new tractors and other equipment.

My neighbor, a farmer (since retired to the Virgin Islands), asked the equipment dealer, Why did you sell him those tractors? The salesman said: Dave, so you can buy them used.

Whats wrong with any of this?

brushbuster

I just want to be first in line whenever you have a garage sale Dennis, you sure have some nice stuff!  Do the Nippers come with a gold plated Zinger?

;)

DennisMcFeely

How in the heck would I know?  I don't have the dough to keep up with your toys moneybags.

That's ironic coming from the guy with more spendy eye-talian guns than Val Trompia or wherever.

WI Brookie Guy

I don't smoke nor am I rich just your regular middle class. I save my pennies (literally) try to buy the best stuff I can afford.  

+1

I'm loaded down with Orvis gear (original Superfine rods, Battenkill reels, hoping for a click & pawl CFO reel one day and I'd never spurn an old Hardy)...like you, I save my pennies and do without until I can afford the best that I can.  But I also buy smart...a $5 nipper works pretty well for me.

The difference between a legit fly angler and a well-heeled wannabe looking for stream cred is knowing how to use fly fishing equipment and catch fish versus just trying to look the role.  This is no different than grouse hunting -- you can kill that grouse just as dead with an old Mossberg while hunting dogless as you can with a fine double and pointing dog...you can't judge a book by its cover.

Brad Eden
I don't have the money and never have to buy much more than off the shelf stuff. No truly expensive shotguns or rifles or fishing gear. I don't buy crap, just good utilitarian gear that will last me a long time if I take care of it. If I had the money I'd probably spend it on expensive gear and gizmos too, not sure. I certainly don't begrudge someone who has the money and buys high end stuff. I don't imagine $50 nippers cut 100 lb mono any better than a pair of $5 toe nail clippers but who cares. The same goes for killing ruffed grouse with an 870 or a 10k imported sxs. They are an extravagance and if owning expensive gear like that makes a person feel good and enhances their pleasure on the water or in the field good for them. The well decked out upland hunter or flyfisherman in brand new duds showing up for a guided upland hunt or fishing trip is cliche and fodder for mocking by thread worn hunters and fishers and guides, always has been.

Briarscratch

Jeez Rook, I was just kidding. A light zing for old time's sake.

No need to be get touchy.  

Buy whatever the hell you want and enjoy the ride.