REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
valuman

Baseball Thread

gundogpa
Looking forward to Ellsbury hitting leadoff for the Tabbies next year  ???  :upside:

I heard that Ellsbury might go to the Rangers. Texas made a descent run of it this year, with Ellsbury they might go all the way.

52 stolen bases, quite an achievement.  A lead off hitter any team would like to have! With him on base it takes the pitches mind off the batter and then mistakes happen.

Virgil

I won't like to see him go......but worse would be to pay him $150 million over seven years......the declining years of his career. Especially a player who depends on speed for his game. We'll plug in Jackie Bradley and concentrate on short term contracts to remain flexible........just what we did when trading all the players to LA. Those huge contracts are team killers......Ben knows it.....lived it and he seems to be very careful about getting sucked in again.

gunsrus
Looking forward to Ellsbury hitting leadoff for the Tabbies next year  ???  :upside:

I heard that Ellsbury might go to the Rangers. Texas made a descent run of it this year, with Ellsbury they might go all the way.

52 stolen bases, quite an achievement.  A lead off hitter any team would like to have! With him on base it takes the pitches mind off the batter and then mistakes happen.

Virgil

I won't like to see him go......but worse would be to pay him $150 million over seven years......the declining years of his career. Especially a player who depends on speed for his game. We'll plug in Jackie Bradley and concentrate on short term contracts to remain flexible........just what we did when trading all the players to LA. Those huge contracts are team killers......Ben knows it.....lived it and he seems to be very careful about getting sucked in again.

So true .....and Ellsbury has a history of getting hurt . Sox should offer a 3 year deal , no more .

Brad Eden

Wow, JE has been in the bigs for what 7-8 years, is just 30 and is almost washed up? ???

I don't think the sox should go overboard but hope a deal is struck. I for one like it when some players stay with a team for a long term duration.

Virgil Kane

Virgil

Tell me about it! The White Sox have the money sucking strike out king in Adam Dunn. Can't get rid of him because of the contract no matter how terrible he is and nobody will buy his contract. And because of these huge contracts the management seems obligated to play them even when there are better players sitting on the bench. I  do have a lot of respect for Ellsbury though, he plays the game hard like it should be played! It would be nice if Boston could work something out with him.

Virgil

gundogpa

Wow, JE has been in the bigs for what 7-8 years, is just 30 and is almost washed up? ???

I don't think the sox should go overboard but hope a deal is struck. I for one like it when some players stay with a team for a long term duration.

He is not washed up. ....but as a boros client and his first free agent year he will command (we all think he will) a large and multy year contract.

So years 30-32 or 33 he earns his money......very possible after that the productivity declines.......it always does. when he's 37 you are paying 25 million a year for a 5 million a year player. It is a serious handicap to your team.

They would gladly take him on a 3-4 year contract at a higher than he's really worth rate. They did so for Victorino and Dempster and Napoli before the whole hip thing. They will pay big money......they will not pay for extra years.

Jacoby wants to make the most with the longest contract he can get......and he's right to think that way.......getting another contract for large money is much harder at 34 than at 30.....especially for a speed guy with an injury history.

I know the Sox would like him back.....I am guessing he would like to come back, but he will not give up his security and they will not blow up the roster on a 7 or 8 year deal.

The only way it gets done is if Jacoby goes for a shorter contract at a higher rate......I doubt he would.

I love the guy but he has to go for the health of the team in the future.......let some other team pay him for those declining years.

Dogwood
Tigers owner Mike Illitch is one of Boras's favorite owners in that he's willing to sign players to ridiculous inflated long-term contracts. He'd be more than willing to overpay Ellsbury.