FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gungho

Favorite Pheasant Recipe?

gungho

I am going to God's country for about 3-4 weeks this fall pheasant hunting (Montana with a trip into the Dakotas).

Last year after a 8 day hunt I was having to eat 2 birds/day to stay legal.  I got pretty tired of pheasant especially since I am not that great a cook.  There was one old rooster that I swear a baseball would have tasted better.

Can you share your favirite recipes?  And I'll bet there are some rabbit stew and squirrel gumbo recipes that could easily be converted.

Thanks

gselkhunter

There is always the cream of mushroom soup meal. Or fried like a chicken pheasant. Both of these get old. The saute in a skillet with butter, seasoned with onion, garlic, celery salt and thyme. Tasty!

But the best, Shallots, garlic, bacon, mushrooms[fresh, not caned] and thyme.

Brown the bacon, drain off extra fat, saute the shallots and mushroom in butter and add garlic and thyme. Add the bacon and pheasant to the mix and bake at 350 in a glass dish until the bird is done. Don't over cook the pheasant, normal cook time 45 mins. If you don't have a glass dish or just have a camp type stove don't freak. Just cover the skillet with a top or foil and cook slow on top of the stove.

Gselkhunter

Rhode Island

You can cook it anyway you can cook chicken.  Fajitas, BBQ, stew, alfredo, chili, pheasant salad sandwiches, etc., etc.  Save the legs for a few days and make pheasant hot wings(legs).  Use your imagination, the possibilities are endless.\

FWIW, last year in the Dakotas we were eating duck and pheasant every night, and we had the breasted out carcasses in the dog trailer to dispose of on the prairie (I never feel right putting birds in a dumpster).  We were checked by a warden, and between the 3 of us we were still under possession, but he did sort of raise an eyebrow to the breasted birds.  We explained that we had already eaten the meat (it had reached it's "final destination", did not need a wing attached).  We were leagal and he didn't press the issue, but I would imagine a more over-zealous warden might have hassled us a bit more.

RI

K dog
You can cook it anyway you can cook chicken.  Fajitas, BBQ, stew, alfredo, chili, pheasant salad sandwiches, etc., etc.  Save the legs for a few days and make pheasant hot wings(legs).  Use your imagination, the possibilities are endless.\

Exactly.

tumblingwings
If you want the easy way out, go get a chicken helper.  :p  :D

Downtown Bang!

Legs & Thighs are great when deboned and used as a substitute for chicken in "Cream of Chicken & Wild Rice Soup", "Chicken & Sausage Gumbo" & "Spicy Chicken Chilli".

Cool appetizers for the breast meat includes "Boneless Hot Wings", "Parmesan & Panko Chicken Tenders w/Hot Mustard Sauce", "Grilled Jalepeno & Pheasant Bacon Wraps"

Stand-by entree for me is "Chicken Fried Boneless Pheasant Breast w/Mashed Potatoes & Country Gravy" (Use Panko Bread Crumbs for an awsome crust)

Also like "Green Chilli Pheasant Enchiladas", "Orange Pheasant w/Rice", "Pan Fried Pheasant w/Butter & White Wine Reduction"

Like mentioned by others the options are endless. Although some may sound complicated the recipes I threw out there can be done quickly and many versions of them can be found in the Chicken recipes sections of a lot of food web sites.

I'm not big on baked/roasted pheasant because its too hard to cook w/out drying out the meat. I also like to cut the pieces to a uniform size or pound out to a uniform thickness so the cooking time is easier to judge.

Do you have family or friends who enjoy game birds? I often pack birds in dry ice and send back home to my parents in Indiana.  They appreciate the gesture and it keeps my possesion numbers down.

DB

Checo

I gave a few pheasant to a friend of mine for an ice fishing derby he was going to .  His brother made pheasant pot pie and from that they tell me, I missed out.  They said they were excellent.  They used filo dough for the crust.  Boiled the pheasant almost all the way, added corn, carrots, peas, white rice, chicken gravy.  Put in caserole dish, put filo dough on top and cook until golden brown.  I think that is how they did it.  

Checo

roysetters3
fillet the breasts and soak them and the thighs in a canister of water in the fridge or cooler for a day or two. Then soak in Italian dressing for at least 6 hours. Put on a spit with or without jalapenos and grill for no more than 5 minutes on a side. A fast and easy meal at the end of a long hunting day.

1.Put a whole, skinned bird in a crockpot set on low.  Mix one can of cola, coke, pepsi, shasta it doesn't matter with one 20 oz bottle of ketchup add any spices and seasonings you like add onions if you like.   Put  into crock pot in the morning, eat for lunch or dinner.  Serve with a baked potatoe or noodles.  Works on sharpies too.

2.  If you have an oven  cut up a plucked pheasant into quarters and quickly brown using a good oil that has a high smoke point,  I don't like to fry or brown with olive oil, in a cast iron fry pan, or another oven safe fry pan,  I just like cast iron.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Once pheasant is brown pour off all liquid and put pan into oven for 15 to 18 minutes.  Won't dry out bird as long as you leave the skin on and use high enough heat in the oven.

Make a quick lemon cream sauce to put on egg noodles and  green beans.  

PA080398.jpg

Rex Hoppie

We have tried a few recepes at Four Bucks but this is our favorite altho it involves Campbell's soup and so considered blast-fo-me by a few.

Pour a can or two of cream of chicken, cream of celery, or cream of mushroom soup into a glass baking dish, Add a cup or so of water.  Add a package of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice Original Recipe spread on the top and sprinkle the herb and seasoning pack included in the box. Arrange the phesant breasts on top (I cut the breasts in halves) add the legs if you have room or save for later.  Cover with foil removing for the last five minutes or so.  Bake in 350 degree oven for about an hour or to suit.

We were baking four phesants and did not have room for the legs.  So later I heated some oil in a large fry pan, rolled the legs in flour and cooked on the stove top.  I don't remember adding anything other than pepper and salt.  They were great this way.

Brad Eden

You could look here on the Upland Pantry page under Game Birds:

Upland Pantry-Game Birds

Or here on the Upland Recipe Forum. Only three pages and there are a few Pheasant recipe Topics:

Upland Recipes Forum

Lurch

my favorite "quick-n-easy" is to mix Heinz57 with Honey 50:50, cut the bird into 1-2" chunks, then put on skewers, baste with the honey57 and grill.

I don't like Heinz57, but the combo, for some reason, is delicious!!!

SARGENT

As many have noted there are a lot of good ways to cook up pheasant.  But you stated that you are eating them on the road.  Like Roy stated soak a couple of birds and grill them quick.  My hunting partners really like the late night Pheasant Fingers after beers.  Shore Lunch and Crisco are always in the truck.  

ec1ef944.jpg

I think the best way to cook is to deep fry it. I will bet that a piece phez beside some kfc and you won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

I also like to roast it in the oven. Place breast side down, add chicken broth, carrots, celery, and place onions over bird. Add seasoning as needed. Roast in oven till done, be sure to keep a close eye on or it will be dry. You can then pull apart and eat with veggies or make phez noodle soup.

Another fun thing when a person has time to make into jerkey. It is some of the best jerkey i have had.

PartridgeCartridge

Try something different. Gamebirds do not always have to be served warm. Here is a refreshing recipe for those early season pheasant hunts:

Pheasant Colada:

Bone out several breast/thigh pieces.

Put them in a blender and add 4-6 oz's of scotch.

Throw in a handful of ice.

Blend until creamy, like a slushy.

Pour into a nice tall glass.

Garnish with a curled up pheasant foot.

MMMMMmmmmm.

You can substitute woodcock or waterfowl for this recipe as well