• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Releasing dogs from body grip traps

Oriongs

Well, like an old penny, this issue comes up every year.  The rope, string and boot lace, would IMO, just give you something to do while your dog dies in front of you.

The "Zip Tie," does sound interesting, however I withhold judgement on that until I can get home (up north working with hounds running bear now, then onto grouse/woodcock with my Sussex, finishing with deer in Nov.) and try it first hand using one of the 220's a trapping friend has on hand.  Suspect you'd have to have a very large, wide and heavy Zip tie.

In the meantime check out the link below for my solution.  

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....6;st=15

Donald Krueger

Orion Guide service and Gun Dog Training

uplandnut30

I had the trapper who will be on our land show me how to quickly undo those traps with rope.

He did make sure to put those types of trap a couple feet up and as far away as possible from where I normally run the dogs so my dogs would have a harder time getting into them.

Gundogger
I carry a couple of pieces of plastic rope in my vest with s-hooks on one end and electrical tape on the other end.  I like the idea of the zip tie - Oriongs - let us know how they work?

Pomoxis

Had a buddy lose his 20 week Brittany pup to a 220 last year. He took the little fella for a walk and not 1/2 mile from home got caught when investigating a culvert along the gravel road. He died in his arms. It gives me goosebumps just recalling this now.

I carry the 175 lb zipties in all my vests. I also bought a 220 and have been practicing using the ziptie method. Its better than a rope

Brad Eden
Well, like an old penny, this issue comes up every year.  

As it should.

ThomGordon
Read my mind, I was looking for a good video to show how to release a conibear trap. The f******* things should be illegal

Brad Eden
I've used them under water for beaver and otter. Not much danger for dogs in that situation. But a scary proposition if on land where dogs could get killed. Not sure what the regs are in different states for placing body grip kill traps. That would be good info on this Topic. Im hardly anti trapping as illustrated ad nauseum on this board.

PWZ
Not much danger for dogs in that situation. .

Unless you hunt beaver ponds for wood ducks.

I've given a couple people permission to trap behind my house, but not until after there's solid ice

pa'tridge hunters
If one of our dogs was in a trap like that, I'd be so wound-up, I doubt I'd be able to think straight enough to get it opened.

settem

Thomas & Betts makes a tie called the Del-Tec that is rated at 250lbs.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=TYD5270M

A hunter should be able to carry a couple of ties in the game bag.

I found one set in the UP last year that looked like it had been left there for a long time, basically abandoned, and just waiting to kill someone's dog.

I am pro trapping, but there is no valid argument for setting these things on dry ground, it's just wrong.

Bebo
Good topic.  I carry a piece of rope in my vest, but I think that I am going to add zip ties.  Seems to be quicker and easier.

Roger Brown

We are going to give the zip ties a test next week when we shoot skeet,one guy is bringing the ties, and another is bringing a trap to practice on.  I hope I never have to use this skill, but will be thankful I have the tools to do it.

Report next week.

Roger

Cooter Brown

I'm interested to hear about the tests with the ties.

The setting tools are not that expensive and reasonably compact, but the ones made for 220s are pretty long, like 21-24".  You could probably get by with a smaller one.

Seems to me the real issue is getting there in time.

The rules in MI for dry land sets are pretty good as long as they're followed--bucket sets which if done properly seem like they would protect most dogs.  Other states allow sets out in the open.

Oriongs

Brad,,

Fully agree, MUST be discussed every year, hopefully doing so will give a warning and save someone's dog.

Gundogger, hopefully, the UJ poster who is going to try them while trap shooting will post his findings.  Would be better as I will not be going home until after opening weekend of the Wisconsin Deer season.

Would be very interested as they would be much easier to carry then my solution.  Additionally, the major advantage would be as you pulled the jaws open they could not snap closed as you tried to set their locking arm.  

Mean while a few days off, weather is to bad to go bird hunting, rain & fog.  That and we don't won't have a bear hunter with a tag until the weekend.

So, getting some much needed sleep, a break from getting up at 4:30 am for the past week.