FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
StormsGSP

Husqvarna boxlocks, any experience?

StormsGSP

I went to a small auction yesterday, hoping to pick up a super nice custom bolt action, when I came across this little Husky 16ga. I have seen a bunch of the Husky hammer guns, but this is the first BLNE of theirs I have handled. There wasn't much bidding interest, so it came home with me.

It is a 16ga, with 29.5" bbls, weighs in around 6.5 lbs and balances at the hinge pin; a pretty sweet little gun. The finish on the bbls is a little beat and it looks like they might have been drilled for some sort of sight in the past, but the receiver is beautiful, and the wood is pretty good too.

Anyone know anything about these? What years they were produced? How many? Quality? Were they made mainly for the European market? The slings and screws in the bbls have me wondering if it was made for the American market or brought back at some point.

IMG_2087_zpse8cd76a6.jpg

5d529e17-1883-4ff0-b18e-16289557e407_zps

IMG_2089_zps3295e7bc.jpg

IMG_2090_zps7b97219d.jpg

IMG_2092_zps61c69325.jpg

IMG_2093_zps2f9d933d.jpg

Cooter Brown

Alex, I don't know if you're askin' or braggin'...

You know what to look for in an old gun, and I'd say you found it right there.

That's a nicely set up gun as far as bbl length etc. and I suspect you got a good deal on it.  Lots of nice colors left, too.  A lot of the Huskys you see have the odd underlever.  The top lever would make that one more desirable to me.

Do I see a "70" on the barrels indicating chamber length?

Good snag!

Rockdoc

Nice looking gun, and Husky's have a great reputation. You picked up a nice gun there!

Steve

greypartridge

Nice gun.

I know a lot of us are Foxist's but there are some real sleepers in these European SXS's.

Even the AYA's are a tad heavy....which I have....and is one of my all time favorite SXS's.

Where else can you find a 6lb 4oz 16 bore with 29 1/2' tubes without having to spend English gun money?

Sure you may have to open the chokes,but that is no big deal. I just picked up a similar (German) 16bore with 29 1/2" barrels and a really nice English stock and elegant long semi beavertail schnabel forend with fancy Parker D grade / Fox A/C grade type wood for a little over half the cost of a 16 gauge 30" Fox Steringworth with a pistol grip stock.

61bhs
The gun you have is pre-WW II built on a J P Sauer frame.  I think Kirby Hoit told me interior action parts are different from the Sauers with safety sears.  He has a 16 on his Vintage Doubles site for which  he is asking over $2000.

Tom Veith

I think bhs61 is right.  If I read your serial number correctly, your gun was made in 1922.  You can find serial number/proof mark/manufacture date information here:

http://www.shotguns.se/html/hva_in_general.html

You can also find some information about the Husqvarna 310 series here:

http://www.shotguns.se/html/ble___blne.html

I have a 12 gauge with 29 1/2" barrels.  I really like it.  Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Tom

patriot
Huskies are underappreciated really good guns......especially the one you got.  310s  are considered the best boxlock and as was mentioned it has safety sears and very good CC.   IMO it is easilly worth $1200

double trigger
Huskies are underappreciated really good guns......especially the one you got.  310s  are considered the best boxlock and as was mentioned it has safety sears and very good CC.   IMO it is easilly worth $1200

Good find!

I picked up a 310 16 ga. just like yours' 5 or 6 years ago and love it.  I had Mike Orlen open up the barrels on mine for upland and that's all I've done to it.  I have considered refinishing the wood on mine (the metal and CC are fine) but its probably better to not mess with it.

The 310's are good guns and not easy to find, the lower model boxlocks and hammer guns are more available.  There are a couple of even higher end Husky boxlocks that are very hard to find, if not impossible...

Enjoy

brademan76

Hey guys, hoping for a little guidance on a Husky 310A I found for $600+tax that I'm thinking about purchasing as it seems quite light and pulls up great for me. I haven't owned an old SxS before.

Its a straight stock 12ga with 27" barrels. A brass measuring device they have here shows both barrels as cylinder. Maybe they were cut? It doesn't appear they have been. I'll bring in a caliper to confirm choke diameter and chamber length on Thursday.

Serial number reads 117xxx which from the website with the serial reference says the gun was manufactured in 1919. However, the marks on the barrel bottom show a U which that indicates a maker that worked from 1940-73. Wood looks great other than a couple scratches. Case color has worn off, but overall the gun is tight and complete.

Photos in this album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fGcraT8NkuTFxUNt2

Please let me know your thoughts on value or other speculation. Thanks!

brademan76

The photo of storms receiver shows three "screws" at the hinge point (please forgive my ignorance of nomenclature) whereas this one only has two. Any insight as to what that might indicate?

brademan76

bump

jpari
On 1/9/2018 at 5:58 PM, brademan76 said:

The photo of storms receiver shows three "screws" at the hinge point (please forgive my ignorance of nomenclature) whereas this one only has two. Any insight as to what that might indicate?

Brademan, the third screw on Storms gun that you inquire about is a retaining screw that stops the second screw from loosening.  Yours does not have this retaining screw, however, I do not think that your gun is any less sound nor less well engineered for the lack of the retainer.

brademan76

Thanks, Jpari.

Took a caliper back with me and the chokes measured out at around .710 & .716 which I was happier about, so I took it home.

Now to get to a gunsmith to check chamber length and potentially ream out for 2.75" shells.

It was missing the front bead and I am partial to the HiViz comp sight, however none of the screws in the package fit. Any ideas what threads pattern it might be? Seems like the 6-48″ screw is just barely too small and the 3mm x .5 screw is too big.

Larry Brown

I don't think Husky shotguns were ever made for the American market.  If so, no one ever made a very serious effort to promote them here.  Their bolt action rifles are a different story.  The shotguns were made into the 1970's.

Photos don't show for me.

brademan76

I believe the original bead may have been pressed in, so I had a friend thread it to get the HIVIZ Compsight to fit. Hand trimmed some modern target loads with a razor to shorten the casing up and capped them off with discs of cardboard and carried it the next day in mearns country. Went 3/3 with it and then the average dipped a little after missing some longer shots. Eventually shot all 12 of the shells I had prepped and shot 3 more unaltered loads with no issue to get to a limit.

Really enjoyed carrying the light gun and it handled very well for me! Still need to spend some time on the pattern board to consider adjusting choke.

PIC HERE:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/in9mZSDh5FVYDTs03