• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
jroetz

Sterlingworth Market

jroetz

All,

What's the market look like right now for a project Philly Sterlingworth 12 gauge? I had the metal redone (case colors, bluing, clean, lube), but the wood never got done and I may need to offload this soon. While I'm aware that I won't get my money back out of it, I don't want to give it away either. Anyone ideas out there?

TIA,

-Jason

tut
Post a few pictures of the gun and we can provide provide a better idea of what it might be worth.  FWIW, the value of shooter grade 12 gauge SW is probably lower then its ever been IMO.  Small gauge SW are headed in a totally different direction and by that I mean up, way up.

jroetz

Pics:

photo IMG_20130915_172929.jpg

photo IMG_20130915_172644.jpg

photo IMG_20130915_165212.jpg

photo IMG_20130915_165003.jpg

photo IMG_20130915_165023.jpg

photo IMG_20130915_172526.jpg

photo IMG_20130915_165338.jpg

The metal was done by Mark Beasland at http://www.mbabllc.com. The original 2-5/8 chambers were reamed to 2-3/4, I had the chokes opened to .010 & .015, reblued, case colored, cleaned and lubed. I also have the factory information from JT Callahan. The stock was cut at one time, so it would need to be restocked.

Thanks,

greypartridge

The non-collector grade Sterlingworth market in small bore guns is still a bargain if you are patient.

A 16 gauge 30" Ejector just sold over on the Fox collector site for 1K ......

12 gauge guns are probably the best values of all.....but not a lot of demand for the common varieties of 12 bores.

Mark did a nice job on the colors on your gun.

Bob Blair
The non-collector grade Sterlingworth market in small bore guns is still a bargain if you are patient.

That is amazing! Was it nice or a beater?

greypartridge

Said it had good barrels...no dents,dings, or pitting, 60%blue,

Action had 15% case colors.Everything worked. Stock had been messed with, but almost every Fox has to much drop to shoot and needs restocking.

Some of the Fox small bores I have been watching have been for sale for over 2 years. Not all small bore Foxes are dramatically increasing in price.....only the very best collector guns.

tut

Said it had good barrels...no dents,dings, or pitting, 60%blue,

Action had 15% case colors.Everything worked. Stock had been messed with, but almost every Fox has to much drop to shoot and needs restocking.

Some of the Fox small bores I have been watching have been for sale for over 2 years. Not all small bore Foxes are dramatically increasing in price.....only the very best collector guns.

That was still a bargain.  I would have bought it in about a nano-second if I had seen it and I already have that exact same gun in the inventory.

Regarding the 12 gauge in question, if it has to be restocked for an adult to use then its a $800 gun IMO even though the case colors are exceptional.

Hunshatt

unfortuanly Tut is inm the ballpark...

far as subgauges.. there isn't a sterly in my safe that I'd let go for less than an upper 2k number... including the 30" 20ga that I haven't restocked .. my graded guns double that plus depending on the gun... Like gunsRus.. they aren't making them anymore...

greypartridge

I agree... best value in a American classic SXS, but if you look around and are patient there are many available at depressed prices at this time due to economic conditions. A good time to buy. Most people don't realize it will cost a couple grand plus to do chokes, blue and stock. That makes it a $3500 Sterlingworth and I am not sure of the value of that.

Plus if you have ejector problems on the old guns it is a very, very expensive fix....ask me how I know :p

jroetz

Thanks for the replies on my Sterlingworth everyone! Now to decide what to do with it.

-Jason

MilRob

Sometimes it is tough to price another mans gun in fear of offending them but as others have stated I would put this gun in the $600-800 dollar range.  How short the stock is can make a difference in resale and price also.  If someone could add a pad or wood extension that looks decent for short money would be helpful.  Downfall of 12 ga is there is not as much demand and a lot of them on the market.  

There is a lot of variables (barrel length, ejectors etc) and some really good buys if you are looking enough and have money waiting.  

That 16 ga 30" for 1k is a very good buy.  The 30's are tough to find but again after restock, blue, possible case colors.  You are better off spending 2500 on one unless you are going the custom route.

BTW those are really nice case colors.  I have one that needs the colors redone and after seeing that I may call Mark and have a chat with him.  Finding someone who can replicate original Fox colors is more difficult than you would think.

doublefan

What are the current dimensions of the stock and barrel length?  As others note, excessive drop at heel is a problem for most but can be dealt with by others.  There are some very good stock folks that can handle the cosmetic issues for far less than a restock.  A pad may be all that is needed to address the LOP. And yes, the colors on the action are outstanding not to mention very crisp engraving and good screws.  This Sterlingworth has potential.

-df

HuntersDad
What are the current dimensions of the stock and barrel length?  As others note, excessive drop at heel is a problem for most but can be dealt with by others.  There are some very good stock folks that can handle the cosmetic issues for far less than a restock.  A pad may be all that is needed to address the LOP. And yes, the colors on the action are outstanding not to mention very crisp engraving and good screws.  This Sterlingworth has potential.

-df

I wish I had the extra $600-800 I'd be all over it. As I would like a project gun myself.

shinbone

The redone metal on that gun is beautiful!

Some have commented that Sterlingworths are a good value, which, I think, is true.  Unfortunately, this is not good news for a seller, since it means the guns sell for less then other comparable guns.

As others have said:  Even though the Sterly here has nicely redone metal, the demand for 12ga Sterlys is pretty low.  Everyone wants the sub-gauges for upland hunting, and duck hunting, where a 12ga gun makes sense, requires non-tox loads meaning expensive ammo for an older gun like a Sterly, thus the low demand.  Plus, there were alot of 12ga Sterlys made.  I see plain jane 12ga good shooters go for around $800 all the time (which is being generous).  Additionally, I don't think the redone metal is going to increase the value much to the audience of 12ga Sterlys.

If you really want to sell the gun for what is worth, put it on Gunbroker with no reserve and let the chips fall where they may.  Unfortunately, considering how much money you probably have into the gun, you will most likely be disappointed.

JMHO

Greypartridge - got a link for the sale of the 16ga 30" ejector Sterlingworth?

greypartridge

Greypartridge - got a link for the sale of the 16ga 30" ejector Sterlingworth?

SB

WWW.FOXCOLLECTORS.COM

May need to be a member to access the for sale section

Paul