• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
jroetz

Sterlingworth Market

jroetz

What are the current dimensions of the stock and barrel length?  As others note, excessive drop at heel is a problem for most but can be dealt with by others.  There are some very good stock folks that can handle the cosmetic issues for far less than a restock.  A pad may be all that is needed to address the LOP. And yes, the colors on the action are outstanding not to mention very crisp engraving and good screws.  This Sterlingworth has potential.

-df

The stock was cut at one time, but the piece was added back on (you can see the cut line where the stock was shortened). It is currently held on with the buttplate screws. It's functional, but not esthetically pleasing, especially given the new and improved case colors.

Larry Brown
Tony Galazan is still making them . . . but they're kinda pricey!  But prepare for serious drool if you get your hands on one.

jroetz
On 10/22/2013 at 5:39 PM, jroetz said:

All,

What's the market look like right now for a project Philly Sterlingworth 12 gauge? I had the metal redone (case colors, bluing, clean, lube), but the wood never got done and I may need to offload this soon. While I'm aware that I won't get my money back out of it, I don't want to give it away either. Anyone ideas out there?

TIA,

-Jason

All,

I'm bringing this old thread back to life - the Philly Fox is now for sale:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/731724666

My original plan was to make this my good weather pheasant gun, however, life got in the way, and I never got a chance to complete the project. I've got $1500 into this gun, someone will get a great deal on this!

Let me know if anyone has questions or comments.

-Jason

tut
5 hours ago, jroetz said:

All,

I'm bringing this old thread back to life - the Philly Fox is now for sale:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/731724666

My original plan was to make this my good weather pheasant gun, however, life got in the way, and I never got a chance to complete the project. I've got $1500 into this gun, someone will get a great deal on this!

Let me know if anyone has questions or comments.

-Jason

That is indeed a nice project gun for someone who wants to smack a few birds.  Heck, refinish the wood and add a pad and you would have a great shooter for little money, or a handy fellow could purchase a semi-inlet buttstock and with a bit of patience do something pretty nice. 

gunsrus

i should have bought more sub gauge Sterlingworths back in 2013 . DOPE !!!!!

Dogwood

Say a fella wanted a 6.25-6.5 pound 12 ga Fox.  Around or unicorns?

tut
19 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

I'm thinking a graded gun with 4 weight 26" barrels and straight stock and you could hit that for sure.  Close to a Unicorn, but there are no doubt some out there.  I once owned a 28" Sterlingworth Pin gun with extractors and it was 6 lbs 10 ounces.  I currently own a 26" ejector Sterlingworth 12 gauge and its also 6 lbs 10 ounces.   Sterlingworth Skeet and Upland in 12 gauge and you would probably be there as well as far as weight goes.  

gunsrus
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

I would say find a 16 . For the most part it will do everything a 12 will do . 

tut
30 minutes ago, garyRI said:

Kittery Trading Post has seven listed for sale. I have bought a gun from them and had it shipped to a local FFL. Found their description to be very fair: https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/brands/fox-a.h./new-used-guns/used-guns/shotguns/

The 20 gauge Sterlingworth Ejector sounds like a great one.  That said for almost 3K it should be.  That's market for that particular gun these days if condition is right. 

salmontogue
38 minutes ago, tut said:

The 20 gauge Sterlingworth Ejector sounds like a great one.  That said for almost 3K it should be.  That's market for that particular gun these days if condition is right. 

At that price, I would consider other options.

Perk

Don Steese
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

I would say find a 16 . For the most part it will do everything a 12 will do . 

and the "cool" factor goes up immeasurably! 

grouse28
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, gunsrus said:

i should have bought more sub gauge Sterlingworths back in 2013 . DOPE !!!!!

Al, you have already reached you limit of Foxes'.

quailguy
7 hours ago, salmontogue said:

At that price, I would consider other options.

Perk

So would I. However, if you are just yearning for a good condition 20 gauge ejector Sterlingworth, that could be the gun for you. There simply are not very many 20 gauge ejector Sterlingworths around. 

salmontogue
29 minutes ago, quailguy said:

So would I. However, if you are just yearning for a good condition 20 gauge ejector Sterlingworth, that could be the gun for you. There simply are not very many 20 gauge ejector Sterlingworths around. 

Identifying the reason for purchase is an important first step.  What is the reason for purchase?  Perhaps owning a Sterlingworth is a goal or maybe having a collector piece to use for hunting is your choice.  The Sterlingworth is a fine double but it is at the bottom of collectability not unlike the Parker Trojan.  There are too many of these guns and the appreciation of value is slow if not uncertain compared to graded Philly Foxes and high grade Parkers.  If I was looking for a 20g, for example, I would greatly prefer the Ithaca NID in grade two or grade four. Again for example, a 3k Sterlingworth or a 4E NID Ithaca?  Not even close and the grade 2E Ithaca is even more bang for the buck.

If you just want an incredibly classy sxs, why not wait until you can justify a B. Rizzini, Guerini, or a British gun.

One thing I learned from three decades in the gun business is that most shooters buy too many guns rather than holding out for the truly special ones that are usually somewhat more expensive.  Buying quantity was great for my business but buying quality was best, in the long run, for the purchaser.  With patience, 3k or a little more will buy a lot more gun.  Be patient, this is not like a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy a Charley Russell, a Frederic Remington or even the Mona Lisa.

Perk