• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Scott Berg

Photo Hosting Sites

Scott Berg

What is your favorite site for hosting and managing photos?

I am tired of all the crap that pops up on Photo Bucket.  A commercial pops up with every upload, stuff flashing on the screen, and all of that overhead just makes the site slow.  It has become painfully slow to manage photos.

SRB

Brad Eden

GREAT QUESTION!...in light of my recent rants.... :down:

I am preparing a New Comprehensive HELP Topic (with help from Members) for posting photos to board(s), using photo host sites, Facebook, C-Member Uploads etc., etc.

The HELP Topics in Photo Forum are old and a bit convoluted.

I will be making a Link to this Topic available to newly registered UJ Members and current members.

casts_by_fly

I use Smugmug.  I used to use photobucket.  Why did I switch?  When I was getting into photography seriusly, a friend (who was more serious than me and whose opinion I respected) bought me a year's subscription to Smugmug basic.  I really like smugmug.  For viewing, the page is quite simple and not cluttered.  I prefer a dark background and there are some options.  I've never noticed any issues of quality degradation from upload compression like facebook and photobucket are guilty of.  What I see in Aperture is what I see looking at it later through Smugmug.

In terms of upload it is as simple as possible.  Drag and drop.  That's what I expect of a modern website.  You can arrange by album easily and arrange within an album easily.  There are plenty of plugins to link smugmug with editing and storage programs.

My photo friend previously mentioned also uses Flickr as he had a following there (and I would consider Flickr if I didn't already use Smugmug), but he uploads to both.

thanks

rick

Rockdoc

My sons a computer network administrator and based on his advice I use imgur http://imgur.com// It's so simple to use even I can use it without problem. It also has built in software so that you can easily resize your pictures with it before you post.

Steve

ThomGordon

Smugmug

Photobucket image quality

P1080843II.jpg

vs Smugmug

P1080843II-L.jpg

MN Tonester
TG, that is amazing quality

Ben Hong
Picasa...simply because I don't like change.

Chris Raymond
Scott--Many ISPs offer hosted domain space as part of their service accounts.  Getting photos to the proper directory/place on their servers might be a smidge more techie than some of the hosting sites but it's a lot more private and whole lot less commercial intrusive than some of what I see.  Get ahold of your service provider to see if that's an option and if so to see how to do it.  I just FTP my photos into my directory space at my ISP and then paste a picture's corresponding URL into a bulletin's board image code prompts.  You may have to re-size your images accordingly however as some photo hosting sites will do this as part of the upload which is not done via the FTP process.

ccavacini

Test

PHOTO WAY TOO BIG. HAD TO REMOVE. B.E./ADMIN

ccavacini

Darn....have to learn to resize photos.

Used the Imgur site

Bullwinkle
Picasa...simply because I don't like change.

couldn't be any simpler..

casts_by_fly
TG, that is amazing quality

That's what i referred to about compression from the site itself.  Facebook and photobucket are both guilty.  I don't work so hard to get the shot and process it correctly to let the hosting medium dumb down the quality.

Rick

Don fischer
I didn't know Picasa was a photo hosting site? I just use what came in my computer. Can't post to other site's from it,,,I don't think! There are site's that you have to post photo's to right out of your own computer. how come that can't be done on all site's? Really works well!

Chesepeakes_Man
What is your favorite site for hosting and managing photos?

I am tired of all the crap that pops up on Photo Bucket.  A commercial pops up with every upload, stuff flashing on the screen, and all of that overhead just makes the site slow.  It has become painfully slow to manage photos.

SRB

Scott,

Download Adblocker Plus

https://adblockplus.org/ and this should help.

Dale

Michael Stenstrom
I like hunt101.  Easy upload, multiple upload at the same time, and different size images for posting (I find the medium image fits this site best).