• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
redrockin7

Quilomene is back as Q5?!

Steelheadfred
I got mine a couple weeks ago, Dan was very open to input and it's awesome. The hip belt and adjustments far exceeded expectations.

I'll have a video review up shortly.

Will I like it?  Bobbie needs some Christmas ideas.

It won't accomplish your goal of no shoulders.  But Ric things you might be able to wear it over only one shoulder with some mods.

gunsrus
I bought one three weeks ago . :love:

Dave Medema
I got mine a couple weeks ago, Dan was very open to input and it's awesome. The hip belt and adjustments far exceeded expectations.

I'll have a video review up shortly.

Will I like it?  Bobbie needs some Christmas ideas.

It won't accomplish your goal of no shoulders.  But Ric things you might be able to wear it over only one shoulder with some mods.

I'm not anti shoulder but instead am pro weight on the hip.  Is the belt sufficient for that?

Hunshatt
It seems like it Dave...Snow allowing .. we'll try itout this weekend ..

Tcaddis
Snaps or Velcro pocket closures?

blanked
A san carlos with water bottle holders would get my vote

MilRob

X2

ScottGrush

X2

X3 and shrink the entire package 20 percent. Giant pockets and gamebag are unnecessary imo.

bmeador
Has anyone tried the holster they are advertising?  If so, what are your pros and cons?  Thanks.

Hunshatt
Giant  gamebag is  unnecessary in my case

I've heard that ... your shooting is suspect

Treerooster

Here are my 2 Quilomene vests. The one on the right (San Carlos) I bought in 2002 and the other I got in 2005. I don't know what the left one is, I thought I was getting another San Carlos but that's what I got. The material on the left one is nylon I think and I don't like it...too noisy.

P4200005_zps4037906d.jpg

I like the San Carlos a lot and have used the hell out of it. I have hunted upland birds 35 to 65 days a season (mostly towards the 65 days) since I have owned the vests and hunt ruffed grouse at least half those days or more. I get in the thick stuff and don't just walk logging roads & trails.

I didn't get the shell loops inside the pockets at first and this is what happened after just 2 seasons. If you want a vest to wear out fast put shells in the shell pockets and go hunt grouse. With the shell loops inside I don't even worry about the holes in the pocket.

P4200004_zps3f76af96.jpg

I like the fact that I can get in that back upper pocket without having to take the vest off. I keep my GPS in there and a few extra shells. Never lost anything out of it even though the Velcro always opens up. I think that upper pocket was meant for a hydration bladder (which I will never use one) but its great for extra gear. I just throw a water bottle in the main bird pouch.

P4200001_zpsa4827257.jpg

The only thing I don't like about the San Carlos I have is the Velcro on the upper pocket. Like I said it NEVER NEVER NEVER holds shut. Even without any birds in the main pouch it will open, put a grouse or 2 or 4 in the back and it will open if you just scratch your head much less take a step. I like the Velcro on the shell pockets because I want easy access to my shells and that Velcro doesn't hold either.  :)  Just enough of a stiff flap to cover the pocket is good.

Some concerns I have on the new Q5 San Carlos vest;

The shoulder straps on my old San Carlos are sewed to the back of the vest. The new one is held on by about a foot of 2 1/2 inch wide Velcro. This is the way my tan vest (the one on the left) is built. It fails periodically and the Velcro needs to be cleaned and reset. A real PITA when you have 4 grouse in the back, 3/4 of a mile to the truck, and its raining.

The upper cargo pouch seems a little high to access it without taking the vest off.

The upper cargo pouch has several layers or compartments (not sure how to describe it). My tan vest has this also. So sometimes when I put something in the upper pouch it goes in the pocket, sometimes it falls in to the main bird pouch, and sometimes it is floating somewhere around in between the two. Just give me a simple pocket so I know where my stuff is.

The cargo pouches are attached to the vest with Velcro? One day I will come out of the grouse woods and go..."Crap! where is my cargo pouch". Hey it is THICK in those woods! I have crawled on my hands and knees in some places just to get around. I had a buddy lose a chap and he didn't even know it until we got to the truck and I asked him where it was.

No non-orange option? Sometimes I don't want blaze orange. I can put orange on if I need it. I like to determine that.

That vest on the right you see in the first picture is one helluva vest!!!. It needs NO "improvement" IMO. Just a couple of heavy duty snaps maybe on the 2 back pockets instead on Velcro.

blanked
Great post tree roster.  The quill on the left looks like a waded up blanket.  That's terrible.   Shells wearing a hole after 2 years doesn't work either.

settem
Seems like every vest I ever had eventually wore similar holes in the shell pouches. I just take a piece of moleskin fold it and stick to the inside of the pouch. I don't know what kind of adhesive they use on the moleskin, but it really stays put.

Hunshatt

the one on the left looks like a really old stock,  all day vest, and is not a San Carlos...

I have concerns about the new back strap length.. though th 10 plus years I used the all day vest (with a much longer Velcro tail, and before I moved to the San Carlos ) often loaded with  large numbers of semi wild ditch chickens.. I never had a strap failure .. a longer Velcro strap will let the game bag ride lower ...

I'm not sure what the cargo pouch , attached with Velcro is ..

I spoke with Dan (at Q5) after receiving my new ones... he sounds like he is completely on board with tweeking the new vest to be the best...  (btw, it sounded like the samples and patterns were not the exactly the same as the earlier vests )

all in all, the new vest (with some very minor tweeks ) is the best grouse (and shorter hunts where gallons of water isn't a requirement ) that I've ever had my hands on...

Yes, I was a huge cheerleader of the old San Carlos...I think  the new one is at least twice the vest  of the old one... Like I mentioned.. I'm selling the few original ones I have left, and updating the closet with the new version ..

and if I could get the site to allow pictures from FB, I'd post the pictures of the  destructed new one