FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
redrockin7

Quilomene is back as Q5?!

Dave Medema

I wish someone would use a pack quality belt in a vest/belt.  It just makes the weight disappear.  Why not take advantage of another industries efforts?

A4BE79C3-9911-4782-96E0-8590C6581A8C-543

Craig Doherty
Looking at the Clownes pictures, it appears that the belt is in fact a pack-style waist belt.  He's supposed to bring it up this weekend if he doesn't wimp out and go skiing with the GF.

Treerooster

I have concerns about the new back strap length.. though th 10 plus years I used the all day vest (with a much longer Velcro tail, and before I moved to the San Carlos ) often loaded with  large numbers of semi wild ditch chickens.. I never had a strap failure .. a longer Velcro strap will let the game bag ride lower ...

The thick grouse woods will pull on the vest now and then. It takes a while for that strap to fail, more than one season, but it eventually has to be reset on that "other" Q vest of mine.

I'm not sure what the cargo pouch , attached with Velcro is ..

I guess I was looking at the Q5 Upland Vest video. The upper cargo pouch is attached with Velcro but also has 2 snaps up top. Those snaps may hold, but I still am skeptical.

I spoke with Dan (at Q5) after receiving my new ones... he sounds like he is completely on board with tweeking the new vest to be the best...  (btw, it sounded like the samples and patterns were not the exactly the same as the earlier vests )

Take a look at my pic with my hand in going in the pouch. I can't tell for sure if the new San Carlos vest has that pocket. If it does I would like to see a snap there to hold the flap shut. Even with a snap closed I could get my hand in that pocket...if it exists on the new one. I think it does but not sure.

I can see from a marketing standpoint the reason to keep the same name but I wouldn't mind seeing a different name for the San Carlos. What does a resort town in Mexico have to do with grouse hunting.

How about Bonasa Bag?  :)

blanked
I hope dan isn't forgetting his roots.  A vest without the capacity to carry a good amount of water isnt a vest for western birds

Hunshatt
Dan's still  got a number of other choices for massive water needs.. this was and still is designed for minimalist hunts... and it excels at that ..

Hunshatt
Take a look at my pic with my hand in going in the pouch. I can't tell for sure if the new San Carlos vest has that pocket. If it does I would like to see a snap there to hold the flap shut. Even with a snap closed I could get my hand in that pocket...if it exists on the new one. I think it does but not sure.

How about Bonasa Bag?  :)

that is the pocket for the hydration bladder.. at least that's what Steve (original Quill ) told me...  rarely have a bladder in mine

the 2 small pockets inside the game bag have disappeared..  Dan says he will re-ad them... the patterns and samples he was given didn't have them, and I never checked my late model stuff .. I like them for first aid kits.. and I keep snare wire cutters and a small fixed blade knife in mine

not a bad idea on the rename...

aoa

Has been great to read all the comments over the past few days.  Again, we appreciate and are open to constructive criticism and suggestions.  We realize that it will be impossible to satisfy every hunter’s wants and concerns in one minimal vest, but we’re going to try and do the impossible!

We do want to emphasize that because of the great reputation and overall satisfaction with the prior Quilomene vests, this first basic Quilomene San Carlos was produced according to the latest pattern we received with just the hip belt and material being the only changes.  The size of the bird bag, shell pockets, and whatever else was on or not on the vest, was made the same as the latest pattern (including the velcro) – many of you may have other San Carlos’s that are not the same.  We know Steve had made adjustments over the years as well, but this was the latest Quilomene San Carlos pattern.  

That being said, we’d like to respond to your comments:

1.  Regarding the velcro adjustment on the shoulder strap tail --- to date, we have not heard of any actual failure of this velcro in the years Steve produced the vest, and firmly believe it will hold fine.  We will, however, go ahead and make adjustments to this in the future to add either more velcro, or add a buckle to reinforce the velcro - we haven’t decided yet exactly what will be done, but it will be done.

2.  Regarding the velcro holding the bird bag on --- there are two buckles on the belt at each side of the bird bag.  We had already added those just as extra security.  I’ve read an awful lot of comments from hunters on many different vests over the past couple years, and I’ve never read of any actual failure.  I have to say that when I lift my very loaded Q5 Centerfire vest (an early model without the belt buckles), I can hear a slight pull of the velcro, but in the years I’ve used it, it has never gone past the initial slight pull – it has held solid.  I have remodeled many vests over the years and I know we will all continue to do some of that – what I’ve thought I might do here is just add a really good epoxy glue to the velcro and clamp it for 24 hours – not because I think it's going to fail, it's just nice not to hear that little velcro noise.

3.  Another often mentioned concern regarded water bottle holders or what/how to carry water.  Again, realizing the purpose of this vest is to be minimal, there was not room to add a water bottle holder with the latest pattern and large shell pocket.  One of the great things about the pockets, though, on all the Q5/Quilomene vests is that they are removeable, so we tried putting a Q5 Centerfire shell pocket (which is smaller) with a Q5 Centerfire water bottle holder.  They fit on the belt fine, but the water bottle holder flopped around too much for my liking.  So we are developing a combination water bottle holder/shell pocket that will be attached to each other to provide stability when full, and it will be interchangeable with the current shell pocket.   This will allow versatility in using the combo packet on one side and large shell pocket on the other, or combo packet on both sides, or use the large shell pockets on both sides as it is now.  Hope to have it available in the next month – maybe two.   The Quilomene Upland and the Q5 Centerfire are not minimal vests and have more water storage etc.

4.  The moleskin remedy for holes in the shell pockets was a great idea.  This is one reason we did make a change in the type of material used to make the vest – we believe it is tougher yet not stiff or noisy. Another advantage of removeable pockets - able to just exchange it out.

5.  Had also already planned to make the Quilomenes available in the current Orange/Khaki, Digital Camo, and plain Khaki before next fall for sure.  

The San Carlos vest is right now a very functional, high-quality minimal vest – we have appreciated and value the reputation Steve built with the Quilomenes and our aim is to continue that with whatever improvements will only make it better.  Thanks for taking the time to read this!

fuess
Since we are talking custom options, can i get one in pink polka dots.  Think it would be fun to accesorize that!

Hunshatt
Since we are talking custom options, can i get one in pink polka dots.  Think it would be fun to accesorize that!

I was going to order you a custom , corset version... so you could see your shoes while your hunting ..  :devil:

Dan.. I'm plenty impressed with what you've done to the vest.. I really hope the walloping snow we got yesterday doesn't end the season here in New England.. cause I';m looking forward to trying out the improvements ... (of course I got to the ski chalet/grouse camp this afternoon and had to shovel 18" of snow off the deck ..so I have no idea what it's going to be like in the woods )  

tim

redrockin7
love the idea of the "combo pocket" for water bottle for one side with a large shell pocket on the other... once I see this I will purchase another

Fowlplay

This really is good news!  I love my original Quilomene!  10 years and going strong!

Welcome, and good luck with the new vests!

settem

I ordered the Upland Bird Vest.

I hope the Pro Staff Clown is right this time...

I went with the larger model, because I am usually away from the truck for most of the day here, and I need the extra capacity.

I thought about waiting to see about the water bottle pockets, but I usually just throw the bottle in the bag after the first drink anyway.

If the reviews are good on the new hybrid pockets I'll add one when they come out.